Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12-year-old girl found dead in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Christ almighty. RIP little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    the royal canal, as far as i remember is the one on the southside, running by portebello and ranelagh.

the grand canal is the one on the northside running down toward croke park.

No, Royal runs along Croker all the way out to Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

the royal canal, as far as i remember is the one on the southside, running by portebello and ranelagh.

Nope.

Whenever in doubt, just think of the Auld Trangle, think we all know which side the of the Liffey Mountjoy is on.
    In the women's prison
    There are seventy women
    And I wish it was with them
    That I did dwell
    Then that auld triangle could go jingle-jangle
    All along the banks of the Royal Canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

the grand canal is the one on the northside running down toward croke park.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I often snuck out the window at that age. She probably just said she left something in a friends house across the road, it mighten have been a big thing to the parents and expected her home in 10 minutes.
    I wouldn't start coming down on the parents just yet, the bigger question is why it's not safe to be out after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

RIP, this is tragic

i was sent up to bed at about 9 or 10 every night at that age. i can just imagine the answer i would have gotten if i told my parents i was just stepping out at midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Shocking news, RIP

but am very interested in the presses interpretation of the early hours, just how long was she missing before it was reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Royal Canal is the Northside, Grand Canal is Southside.

Amazing how a lot of people are very judgmental here against the girl and/or her parents - no need to jump to conclusions before (if ever) more is known to the public. In cases like this there are often extenuating circumstances and there could be a perfectly good reason why she was out of the house late at night. Of course it's more likely it was irresponsible parenting, but no need to slate the parents without knowing for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Holy ****! Terrible tragedy. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

I wouldn't start coming down on the parents just yet, the bigger question is why it's not safe to be out after dark.

I CANNOT believe someone actually posted this - not safe to go out after dark? i have actually heard it all - do they even know the society we live in....which is the reality of the situation.

As for the parents - it frankly is their fault. A child should not be left out alone after 9pm at night in my opinion. Social services need to ensure adequate safety for other children if indeed there is more.

Finally, it is a tragic story, but this young girl could potentially be alive today if good parenting ensured she was not let out or supervised if she needed to go out at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

To what extent, can we believe the statement that she stepped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please no speculation on how the child died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jaysus, between this and the swimming pool thread yesterday, my folks should have been hunted down and flung in jail. Such a shame I wasn't locked up in my bedroom until I was 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jibblybitsy

12 years old walking through town on her own. the garda have to solve this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Very sad news RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

The-Rigger wrote: »
    And rightly so.
    If they have other kids, they should be taken into care pending an investigation.

really , you should have been taken into care too then you might not have ended up been the calous individual you appear to be , have you given any thought to how those parents are feeling today or is that kind of human consideration beyond you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Even for 12 you are or should be plenty familiar with your Home and the surrounding area enough to where whatever happened to her was nigh unorthodox.

Best hopes to the AGS on a speedy and fruitful investigation, and condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

danbohan wrote: »
    really , you should have been taken into care too then you might not have ended up been the calous individual you appear to be , have you given any thought to how those parents are feeling today or is that kind of human consideration beyond you ?

muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jesus that is very near me. Those poor parents, whatever happened.

Poor parents alright, ****ing dire parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

she step'd out at midnight for a few min but alarm wasnt raised till 2AM....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

As for the parents - it frankly is their fault. A child should not be left out alone after 9pm at night in my opinion. Social services need to ensure adequate safety for other children if indeed there is more.

Finally, it is a tragic story, but this young girl could potentially be alive today if good parenting ensured she was not let out or supervised if she needed to go out at that stage.

Who are you to say what good parenting is? As a poster has previously said, she may have just been popping across the road to drop something/collect something from a mate. She may have lived in a friendly neighborhood estate.

Have a bit of common courtesy and keep your opinion to yourself until more details have been released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Poor parents alright, ****ing dire parents.
    Better than the parents who have no f*cking notion where there kids are at midnight on a Friday? What about them?

• spider_pig wrote: »
    she step'd out at midnight for a few min but alarm wasnt raised till 2AM....:confused:

They probably spent time looking for her (friend's houses, places she'd normally hang out) before calling the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont know.

If our kid turns around at 12 and says he's "stepping out" for a few mins at 12am i pressing pause on the sky plus turning to him- and while i laugh, ground him for being out of bed.

We'd deal with his reasons for where exactly he was to be going at that time the next morning.

Never the less, this is a sad story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ah leave the parents out of it, look at all the stick Madeline's folks got, didn't help the investigation one bit. So they let the girl out a 12 o'clock, that's in the past. What matters now is finding out what happened and if its not an accident, find the sicko who did it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My god, the poor girl RIP

snyper wrote: »
    I dont know.

If our kid turns around at 12 and says he's "stepping out" for a few mins at 12am i pressing pause on the sky plus turning to him- and while i laugh, ground him for being out of bed.

We'd deal with his reasons for where exactly he was to be going at that time the next morning.

Never the less, this is a sad story.

My dad was like that, hence I took the window option while he played with the tv remote.
    Kids will be kids, we all broke the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

The parents being irresponsible has nothing to do with how they are feeling today?
    Who are you to say what good parenting is? As a poster has previously said, she may have just been popping across the road to drop something/collect something from a mate. She may have lived in a friendly neighborhood estate.

Have a bit of common courtesy and keep your opinion to yourself until more details have been released.

I'd consider good parenting is having common sense and awareness of not letting a 12 year old out on her own at 12am even if it was just across the road.

• Regardless of the level of parenting: A 12 year old SHOULD be able to step outside her door at night without ending up dead on the banks of a canal.

Regardless of the level of parenting: A 12 year old SHOULD be able to step outside her door at night without ending up dead on the banks of a canal.

Completely agree. However, things don't work like that in practice. It's such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Jesus Christ Im just seeing this now I hope it was just some accident and not anything more sinister

My heart goes out to her family this is a terrible tragedy

I hate hearing news like this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

the_syco wrote: »
    Anyone have friends across the road from them?

Had a curfew around that age myself, but my friends at the time did not.

This.

Judging by some of the comments here, it seems that the only safe place for 12 year olds at night is Leixlip.

Even today, the local kids will sit outside talking to their friends late at night. Nothing bad ever happened any of us.

You can all get rage filled behind your keyboards all you want, but not one of you here knows the exact circumstances. Perhaps you could take into account that there are steep hills with granite jutting out all along that area, leading down to the canal. Maybe you could consider that her house may have been only a few hundred yards from the canal.
    She also may have had friends who were down by the canal, or just thought they were there.

The point is, none of us know anything. It might be a good dea to not blame the parents, or anyone else, before allowing the Gardaí to do their job.

Condolences to her family and friends.

I'd consider good parenting is having common sense and awareness of not letting a 12 year old out on her own at 12am even if it was just across the road.

I'd be fairly happy to let my 12 year old cross my road at midnight unattended. I grew up in a nice area and never feared what might happen when taking 24 steps to reach my friends house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

The parents being irresponsible has nothing to do with how they are feeling today?

do you think if they had another chance they would let her out tonight ? of course people like you never make mistakes .!

My dad was like that, hence I took the window option while he played with the tv remote.
    Kids will be kids, we all broke the rules.

Did your dad ever catch you?

I'd be fairly happy to let me 12 year old cross my road at midnight unattended. I grew up in a nice area and never feared what might happen when taking 24 steps to reach my friends house.

That's a risk you take so.

I live in a nice area aswell but it doesn't mean things can't happen here too.

Feel sorry for the passer by that encountered the body, I can't imagine that.

do you think if they had another chance they would let her out tonight ? of course people like you never make mistakes .!

Pretty sure no one would be saying anything about the parents if this happened at 6pm instead of 12am.

That's a risk you take so.

I live in a nice area aswell but it doesn't mean things can't happen here too.

Now you're talking about 2 different things. Bad parenting and bad people. Letting a child out at night is not bad parenting, it is only considered bad parenting when a terrible incident like this occurs.

You cannot blame the parents for what may have happened to that poor girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

punchdrunk wrote: »
    considering the scum they let out of prison early these days,im surprised it's not more common

too true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Letting a child out at night is not bad parenting, it is only considered bad parenting when a terrible incident like this occurs.

I think letting a child out late on their own is bad parenting whether something happens or not. Parents are supposed to protect their children, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Now you're talking about 2 different things. Bad parenting and bad people. Letting a child out at night is not bad parenting, it is only considered bad parenting when a terrible incident like this occurs.

You cannot blame the parents for what may have happened to that poor girl.

nice name:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

i log into facebook
    my friend who i know from my ex has a blog
    it says
    "My name is ***** and my Best friend died today"
    i was like the fuccc***?
    i come across this.. he is from blanchardstown :'(

also horrible horrible news :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Yeh couldn't imagine what the person who seen her was going through . Too early to speculate . But first thing that comes to mind when a 12 year old girl wants to leave at 12 oclock is she ran away from the parents or maybe she just wanted to hang with friends i dunno but RIP a terrible tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

whats wrong with a 12yr old steppin outside for a few mins? It's not like she was goin off to a park for a few hrs or into town. people shouldnt blame the parents

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Did your dad ever catch you?

No he seemed to like to take the see no evil hear no evil approach, just as long as I didn't arrive home in a Garda car and upset the mother he turned a blind eye.
    Caught me at everything else at one time or another though.

whats wrong with a 12yr old steppin outside for a few mins? It's not like she was goin off to a park for a few hrs or into town. people shouldnt blame the parents

do you have children?

I doubt it. Otherwise you wouldnt ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

whats wrong with a 12yr old steppin outside for a few mins?

She's dead is she not?

Update: It's being treated as suspicious.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0828/dublin1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

To my shame my knee jerk response was to lynch the parents for letting her out at 12. I even thanked a post saying no matter how distraught they were they should be done foe negligence etc. Then I went in to check on my own daughter asleep in her bed and I thought about how I would feel if somethng happened to her. I was close to tears. :( The time for blame will come soon enough but for now these poor people are living every parents worst nightmare and my heartfelt sympathies go out to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement