Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12-year-old girl found dead in Dublin

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stockings

My parents were amazing, but I was a little shit. When I was 15 I probably would have walked out the door and said I'd be back whenever. It's very easy to point the finger but if I had been locked in my room, I would have come out the window. If I was shouted at, I would have shouted back and ran. If reason was used on me, I wouldn't listen. My poor mother called the guards once because I walked out of the house and wouldn't' come back. (I regret the way I acted back then so much!!) The only way I could have been kept safe would be for me to have been locked behind bars. I wasn't a horrible person, but I was a bad child.

That was ten years ago. What I did at 15, other children are doing at 11 or 12 these days. God help the parents in this situation, but my point is, if you have a child who absolutely refuses to behave, you're stuck in impossible circumstances. Nobody knows what this family has gone through, and now they're going through what must be one of the most difficult things anybody ever has to face - losing a child. It's very easy to say that you would have done things differently, but you are not in those peoples' shoes. And you are damn lucky not to be!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The poor girl, I just can't believe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Because he claimed something, it should be backed up by a link. The link I posted didn't back what he claimed.

He provided a source when he said that it was on the nine o'clock news. Not everything can be found on the web, you know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

My reply to that post above got deleted. I guess I was a bit rough in my response but my Username should have nothing to do with my contribution to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0828/breaking39.html

A man has been arrested in connection with the discovery of the body of a girl (12) in west Dublin.

The girl left her home in the Porterstown area of Dublin 15 late last night, telling family members she would be back soon. Her parents reported her missing early this morning after she failed to return home.

Her body was found by a passerby this afternoon lying in undergrowth along the bank of the Royal Canal near the level crossing at Porterstown Gate.

The area has been sealed off for a forensic examination by the Garda Technical Team.

The cause of death has yet to be established.

The State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy carried out a preliminary examination of the scene this evening. She will conduct a postmortem examination on the girl’s body at Blanchardstown hopstial tomorrow.

The man (19) was arrested this evening. He is being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Blanchardstown Garda station.

May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Stockings wrote: »
    My parents were amazing, but I was a little shit. When I was 15 I probably would have walked out the door and said I'd be back whenever. It's very easy to point the finger but if I had been locked in my room, I would have come out the window. If I was shouted at, I would have shouted back and ran. If reason was used on me, I wouldn't listen. My poor mother called the guards once because I walked out of the house and wouldn't' come back. (I regret the way I acted back then so much!!) The only way I could have been kept safe would be for me to have been locked behind bars. I wasn't a horrible person, but I was a bad child.

That was ten years ago. What I did at 15, other children are doing at 11 or 12 these days. God help the parents in this situation, but my point is, if you have a child who absolutely refuses to behave, you're stuck in impossible circumstances. Nobody knows what this family has gone through, and now they're going through what must be one of the most difficult things anybody ever has to face - losing a child. It's very easy to say that you would have done things differently, but you are not in those peoples' shoes. And you are damn lucky not to be!!!

I see where your coming from,but your basically saying by 15
    your parents had no control over you,but legally they are responsible for everything you do until your an adult in the eyes of the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No more off topic comments please.

Please only post stated fact. No speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Let's hope the 19yr old didn't do what a lot of people already think he did, It's horrible but I hope it's an accident for everybodys sake.

• RMD wrote: »
    There seems to be quite a lot of parents here who seem to think the best approach to parenting is wrapping their kids in bubblewrap and not letting them out of the house once it was dark.

Well, when I was 12 I was allowed step out for a couple of minutes if needed, even late night. My parents knew if I was doing this it would be urgent enough and only just across or down the road. I was allowed into town on my own or with friends at 12, I was allowed do essentially what I wanted once I kept in contact and was home for dinner and home again after for a reasonable time.

There is a HUGE area in between mollycoddling kids and letting them go out alone at midnight. I can't think of a single good reason that a 12 year old would need to be out at midnight. There just isn't one, bar an emergency (something happens in the house, child goes across the street to raise alarm etc). 12 year olds have no business hanging around outside or going to friends' houses at that time of night. I was also allowed to go into town but that's vastly different from 'stepping out' at midnight. What good can ever come of that?
    Because of these experiences I'm pretty indepedent and mature. I'm able to handle pretty much the majority of situations I find myself in because I experienced them before when I was younger, street smarts I suppose you could call it. The rest of my friends who got this kind of freedom as well would be the same.

Noticeably, it's the kids who were always watched, protected, nannied etc by their parents that don't know how to handle themselves in certain situations, wouldn't be "street" smart and are pretty ignorant of certain dangers, the ones who get in trouble because of their ignorance.

You don't need to be hanging around the streets at midnight to be mature.
    Oh, and newsflash, despite what you read in the tabloids and hear on Joe Duffy, this city hasn't gone to the dogs, the streets aren't filled with scum looking to kill each other etc. What happened is a tragedy, but can any of you tell me when the last time something like this happened? When was the last time a kid was abducted, assaulted or had a bad experience leaving the house after dark etc? I certainly can't name it.

There are plenty of real reasons to be worried about kids hanging out at night. I wouldn't want my 12-13 year old sitting in a playground with a group of lads, drinking and smoking, which is something I see regularly. It's what the kids were doing when I was that age, and I wasn't allowed out, and I'm glad. Abductions might be uncommon, but there are plenty of other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Closed for review. Please don't start another thread on this topic for now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement