Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City to Connemara and Back

Options
  • 28-08-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello, google isn't helping me on this matter nor are any of the sites it coughs up. Could someone possibly tell me what's the cheapest and most convenient way of getting to Connemara from Galway city? With the view of staying there for a couple of days and not a tour. Any help on the matter'd be appreciated, mind run ragged.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where in Connemara? It's a pretty big area.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

Em, to get to the Sleepzone hostel would be nice. If that makes any sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Not really!

Is it in Clifden? Or in Carraroe maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP, as far as I know, sleepzone do a bus from their Galway hostel to their Killary one (think that's where it is). Haven't stayed there, but I believe it is a bit of a hike to the pub etc (that's probably a good thing:p) but lovely area.

You could also get a citylink bus to Clifden, and the same bus goes on to Letterfrack. There are 2 nice hostels there, The Lodge, and my personal fave The Old Monastary (google it, nowhere like it!). Diamond Mountain is there, part of Connemara National Park, and a lovely hike up. Walkable to Kylemore Abbey and the Beach too.

Not sure if it's the particular hostel you want or just a break to Connemara in General? Have fun! I need a holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are regular buses if that'll help?
    Check on www.buseireann.ie and www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/this-is-summary-map-of-regional-bus.html

To Sleepzone you can bus it to Leenane and walk from there (bit of a trek mind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Balasubbie wrote: »
    Em, to get to the Sleepzone hostel would be nice. If that makes any sense.

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

I believe Sleepzone are still running the Connemara Loop Bus (linked to from this page) that goes out there, and calls at various other places in Connemara too. They can also advise about whether you need to take your own food if you're travelling car-free (suspect you do).

There is also a rural-transport contractor (http://www.bealach.ie), but they're really focussed on public transport for locals, not tourists.

And I've heard rumours of various informal arrangements in Connemara, but have never tracked down any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Balasubbie wrote: »
    Hello, google isn't helping me on this matter nor are any of the sites it coughs up. Could someone possibly tell me what's the cheapest and most convenient way of getting to Connemara from Galway city? With the view of staying there for a couple of days and not a tour. Any help on the matter'd be appreciated, mind run ragged.

Ah, is it Conamara town you are looking for?

sealgaire wrote: »
    Ah, is it Conamara town you are looking for?

Comments like that are not helpful, nor are they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Are you still looking for a way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Comments like that are not helpful, nor are they needed.

Ah its the whesht of Ierlund for Gods sake - we have to be sarcastic to the tourists. Sure its a form of sport out these parts and we might even get a grant for it.

OP, I'll rent you a pony and trap for cheap. Post your Visa card number and flight details, we'll meet you in Shannon...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

If your in good health, The auld thumb is as cheap as it get's..Make a sign where your headed for:)

Advertisement