Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plug play webcam won't plug play

• 28-08-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I bought a Technika H16BD5 webcam that said plug and play no software. When i plugged in to usb it said drivers were being installed but i do not see any where to start it from. Does not show in device manager. Or on list of hardwareI prefer not to install cd software if poss. CD sofware not necessary but recomnended

I put into a different usb It installed drivers and says camera ready to use. but i cannot find it in the start menu/desktop or anywhere
    Ran belarc advisor and says usb camera is installed but i still cannot find it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't have the same camera, and you don't mention which OS you use, but try this:
    Find amcap.exe in c:\windows (in XP anyway), its a Microsoft program which shows me what the webcam can see. This will tell you if the webcam is working. Alternatively try Skype or NetMeeting or one of the IM clients that support webcams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

thanks fro reply
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I don't have the same camera, and you don't mention which OS you use,
    sorry it is vista home premium
    but try this:Find amcap.exe in c:\windows (in XP anyway), its a Microsoft program which shows me what the webcam can see. This will tell you if the webcam is working.
    no such file found tried c:\windows\amcap.exe and did search from start menu

In windows 7 it shows in devices and printers but only properties will openCamera won't open. No amcap.exe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ferguson wrote: »
    thanks fro reply sorry it is vista home premium

no such file found tried c:\windows\amcap.exe and did search from start menu

In windows 7 it shows in devices and printers but only properties will openCamera won't open. No amcap.exe

amcap.exe is not a microsoft program but a 3rd party one I think, its certainly not on windows 7 x64 & google suggests its trialware, try downloading skype, install it, go to video options, see if it detects the webcam there under devices and if it does the cam image should appear

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    amcap.exe is not a microsoft program but a 3rd party one I think, its certainly not on windows 7 x64 & google suggests its trialware, try downloading skype, install it, go to video options, see if it detects the webcam there under devices and if it does the cam image should appear

Nick
    Ok i have skype on my vista anyway but never used it. Do you need to i use a third party prog for webcam? Never used one before and so thought that an icon would appear and then the cam could be opened. Must be wrong am I? Thanks

Do I have to log into /connect to skype to see video options? i do not see it in version 3.2.0.163

edit no image appeared. skype said webcam may be in use by other program

Ok i have skype on my vista anyway but never used it. Do you need to i use a third party prog for webcam? Never used one before and so thought that an icon would appear and then the cam could be opened. Must be wrong am I? Thanks

Do I have to log into /connect to skype to see video options? i do not see it in version 3.2.0.163

edit no image appeared. skype said webcam may be in use by other program

Theres drivers available HERE for that webcam from tesco, do they help?

Nick

• Advertisement

Theres drivers available HERE for that webcam from tesco, do they help?

Nick
    thanks could not find that page earlier for some reason. i have this one I do not see drivers for that? or would they be the same?

thanks could not find that page earlier for some reason. i have this one I do not see drivers for that? or would they be the same?

Try the webcam driver on that page? It may work, could do all models

Nick

Try the webcam driver on that page? It may work, could do all models

Nick
    Ok now it is showing in device manager and i can see images when in skype. But i still cannot see how to open the camera without being on skype. Booklet says it should work without any software from cd

i want to try this offline just as a local camera. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The amcap.exe I have claims to be Copyright (C) 1992-2002 Microsoft Corporation

Have you tried using the media player VLC ? I was using for streaming video from my webcam (as I said, not the same one) across a local net. I'm not sure if you can do it from the GUI, I was using the command-line, and that was a few months ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the details right now !

[edit]
    "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv -I rc --ttl 12 dshow:// vdev="USB 2.0 PC Camera (SN9C202)" size="352x288" --sout "#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=800,fps=15,scale=0.6}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.2:1234}"

is the shortcut i found to start streaming with VLC with my camera [USB 2.0 PC Camera (SN9C202)] you'll have to edit that and the destination IP

Hope this helps!
    You can also use VLC to record to a file. Search this forum for another thread about VLC, a few weeks ago IIRC.

Have you tried using the media player VLC ? I was using for streaming video from my webcam (as I said, not the same one) across a local net. I'm not sure if you can do it from the GUI, I was using the command-line, and that was a few months ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the details right now !
    will try . i did not realise one needs another program. it says no software needed just plug and play. thanks....

• Advertisement

[edit]
    "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv -I rc --ttl 12 dshow:// vdev="USB 2.0 PC Camera (SN9C202)" size="352x288" --sout "#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=800,fps=15,scale=0.6}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.2:1234}"

is the shortcut i found to start streaming with VLC with my camera [USB 2.0 PC Camera (SN9C202)] you'll have to edit that and the destination IP

Hope this helps!
    You can also use VLC to record to a file. Search this forum for another thread about VLC, a few weeks ago IIRC.
    i can get the camera to switch on but d o not see it on screen , no gui or icon and it keeps crashing.my understanding of plug and play is plug inand the program opens. is it different with webcams? do you have to associate a program with it?

edit Got it to work with software from cd. bit annoyed i had to as it says plug play but the giu is nice and easy to follow. Thanks everyone

Advertisement