Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert HL 2010 paper

• 28-08-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi, Dont know where to post this. My son just gone into 5th year. Wonder if its possible to get an English translation of this years Higher Level Irish Leaving Cert paper 1 - specifically question 2.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Which Q2? :S I'd love to help but I'm not sure what you're referring to! Could you quote a bit of it please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

This is a link to the paper.

But they don't make english versions I'm sure you could find a translator though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

What question are you referring to - the story titles or the questions on the comprehension? Or do you mean the entire text of the comprehension?

You won't get an English translation of the paper and even if you could, I can't see how it would be a help to your son to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

he could put the phrases he doesn't understand into Google translate*

*Google translate isn't always accurate but it might give him the gist of what it says.

E.g: The first paragraph translates as follows:

Busy job after I put the teacher
    me in my three score years old, I want to break was
    take long before the make a reflection about
    new life was coming. Had reached a crossroads
    in my life and was a crucial choice
    I do how ghabhfainn. The
    my wish for a long path of pilgrims
    medieval Santiago de Compostela to be away from
    Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in France to Finisterre on
    west coast of Spain, nine hundred journey
    kilometers. Since I had an extreme desire
    choisíocht never been, I decided to break
    reflection and the Compostela pilgrimage to a
    linked together in any one trip. So
    The first day of September, 2004, except
    return to the classroom, I packed my bag
    and I hit the road. For one day and sixteen
    score, he walked twenty kilometers per
    day, on average, on the camino, called, or
    I had been a city of Santiago de Compostela
    out, and then Finisterre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

ok - thank you for the replies - its the Santiago piece - A. He got this with the 5 questions for homework after his 1st class. He's overwhelmed by it although he seems to have a lot of it translated. He thinks he should go to the pass class that he won't be able for this, so I thought I could help by maybe getting a translation.

I should have realised that there wouldn't be a translation anywhere. Maybe his mind is not working in Irish yet after the Summer hols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

rainbowtrout - thank you for your suggestions re. google translate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

kildaremum wrote: »
    ok - thank you for the replies - its the Santiago piece - A. He got this with the 5 questions for homework after his 1st class. He's overwhelmed by it although he seems to have a lot of it translated. He thinks he should go to the pass class that he won't be able for this, so I thought I could help by maybe getting a translation.

I should have realised that there wouldn't be a translation anywhere. Maybe his mind is not working in Irish yet after the Summer hols.

In fairness hes only 1 day back into 5th year so his Irish is only Junior Cert standard. Its a bit tough to go straight into a Leaving Cert paper on your first day! He has 2 years to improve his Irish and get to a high enough standard so don't let him be scared down to pass just yet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SileBButton

I wouldn't consider dropping to pass just yet for your son. The first day back in 5th year is always really hard! Our teacher only got us to write about what we did for our summer holidays on our first day back in 5th year, i was totally lost and could barely write a page!! I stuck with higher in the end and got an A2!:D

I'm not saying don't drop to pass if it's the right thing to do, i'm just saying give him some time to ease into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kildaremum wrote: »

I suspect his teacher did this to punch home the message that LC is a lot higher standard than JC; that people can't afford to coast along; etc., etc.

I'm not saying I agree with that strategy (see for example your son panicking and thinking of swopping to pass on his first / second day) ... I'm agreeing with QueenOfLeon that he can't be expected to be ready for an LC paper at this stage, and suggesting that, rightly or wrongly, his teacher had a reason for doing this.

Tell him do his best and not worry unduly about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I suspect his teacher did this to punch home the message that LC is a lot higher standard than JC; that people can't afford to coast along; etc., etc.

I'm not saying I agree with that strategy (see for example your son panicking and thinking of swopping to pass on his first / second day) ... I'm agreeing with QueenOfLeon that he can't be expected to be ready for an LC paper at this stage, and suggesting that, rightly or wrongly, his teacher had a reason for doing this.

Tell him do his best and not worry unduly about it.

+1, didn't even cop this earlier. I wouldn't be worried about this at all. He's only expected to be able for this after 2 years of LC Irish, not straight after JC. If it's any consolation, I got Ds the whole way through 5th and 6th year in Irish and the teacher did her best to throw me out of the honours class. I got a B3 in the end. :D

It's just a wake up call to let the class know the difference between JC and LC

KildareMum - it's very heartening to see a parent take an interest in their child's homework. I don't come across it as often as I'd like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wouldn't even consider dropping down to pass. The reading comprehensions are perhaps the most difficult part of the Irish course - you have to understand the passage, and the questions, to be able to answer them. An excellent Irish teacher in a Gaeltacht that I went to said that even she finds the comprehensions tricky.

I wouldn't consider myself gifted at Irish at all - I worked hard at the stuff that I could learn (poems, An Triail, Stair na Gaelige, and to some extent essays) - I kinda ignored the things that depend on your knowledge of Irish rather than what you have learned off - i.e. essays and reading comprehensions.

I got a B1 in my Irish this year (the paper that your son is doing) and I found that reading comprehension very difficult. I actually find all Irish reading comprehensions very difficult. And that's after 2 years of HL Irish, and 3 years in the Gaeltacht. At the start of 5th year, I wouldn't expect your son to understand any of it. I struggled with Ordinary Level Reading comprehensions at the start of 5th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

The thing about this papers and comprehensions is that your never going to be able to understand it fully in 5th year - I was the exact same - trust me

But as you progress through 5th year and 6th year you will get so much better - I got 68/70 in the comprehensions for the mocks and the leaving cert went almost as well I think - he will get better at them if he's good at Irish

As said before it's probably a teacher trying to emphasise the difference in standard between junior and leaving and that winging it doesn't cut it...

- but on a secondary note I understood that passage almost perfectly on the day but still hadn't a clue what the **** it was going on about - "camino" and all that shíte would thrown anyone off - it should have explained what was going on in a short sub note or something - I though he was going walking for the craic or something because I didn't know that a camino was a pilgrimage - I doubt they'll do that again - but that's something for a different thread....

don't drop yet - but there is going to be a lot of work that has to be put into honours irish - but luckily for your son 40% will be going for his oral so maybe a trip to the gaeltacht would be really really really beneficial - really did wonders for my irish if I had 40% going for oral I'd have been pushing for an A.... it'll really help the tape too

if your son got an A or B for the junior or even a C if he felt it was a good C he should have the capability to do honours Irish especially with this new course than reduces the amount of learning reams of poetry and shíte like that

don't let him drop now - he will improve at them as he progresses along the way

try and avoid google translator if possible though - doesn't teach you anything - I know it sounds obvious or whatever - but try understanding it yourself and work at it if you can at all - and then check your answers after - Might sound cliche thing to do but it really is the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I wouldn't drop down in 5th year either. I agree with the above poster: you are not always going to understand the comprehensions. Even if you understand the language itself the context and/or general meaning of them can elude you. On the day I found the first comprehension awful to understand but fairly do-able question wise. The second one was easy, and I know that is just due to practice.

The Irish HL paper is a bit of a gauntlet. I suppose Gaelscoil students and the like love it, but honestly if you have a standard primary school education and JC, the jump to LC level is overwhelming at first. You have to basically tell your son to work at Irish every day. That means vocabulary lists, practice questions, maybe listen to some Irish (Raidio na Gaeltachta puts much of their content online).

It's a long list of things to do but as people have been saying, you can only get better if you work at it and get over that initial difficulty curve.

Advertisement