Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen/Cock Found in Powerscourt

• 28-08-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anyone in the Powerscourt area that's missing a young bird? I'm not sure if it's a hen or a cock

I think it's a Maran, it's a grey speckled hen or cock, not an adult yet. It was found yesterday when it wandered into a home in Kenure Court, Powerscourt.

The people that found it know we have hens so we collected it this evening. I've got it in a separate house from my own hens who are mad to get at it. If it's a cockeral then I cannot keep it if the owner isn't found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

deisemum wrote: »
    Does anyone know anyone in the Powerscourt area that's missing a young bird? I'm not sure if it's a hen or a cock

I think it's a Maran, it's a grey speckled hen or cock, not an adult yet. It was found yesterday when it wandered into a home in Kenure Court, Powerscourt.

The people that found it know we have hens so we collected it this evening. I've got it in a separate house from my own hens who are mad to get at it. If it's a cockeral then I cannot keep it if the owner isn't found.

Sorry can't help you, why would you other hens be mad to get at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hens don't like new birds encroaching on their territory. Whenever new birds are introduced there's often fighting until the new bird is put in it's place and not threaten the pecking order.

If it's a young cock they might just be mad for some ;)

I've kept them in separate hen houses overnight and it's a young bird so some of the more obvious signs as to it's sex are not yet established. I'll have a better look tomorrow or get the vet to examine it. I don't want to stress it.

My suspicions are that it's a cock, it sounds male and I suspect the owner may realise it's male and just got rid of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say thats likely, in fairness who would want a cock in a housing estate? Their neighbours would kill them after a few days.

Hope you can find a hone for it

I'm taking a cat to the vet tomorrow so I'll bring the bird along as well and let him figure out the sex. Once I know that then I'll know what to do.

It spent most of the day in a nesting box in my portable hen house and hopped down for food and water every now and again. Later in the day as it settled in more it started to walk about in the run, that is until my 2 cats sat looking in at it.

I'm hoping it's a hen but it sounds too butch :D If it's a male I'll have to get rid of it asap.

I feel sorry for male chicks as most are gassed in the poultry places when they're a day old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You should contact Waterford Animal Welfare (www.waterfordanimalwelfare.com) - Andrew will rehome the bird for you. They do wonderful work.

• Advertisement

I took the bird to the vet and he's fairly sure it's a hen but she's young.

Advertisement