Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions

• 28-08-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭

Hi guys will be moving to waterford in the next week or two to start in WIT, never been to waterford city myself so just have a few questions if anyone could please answer them.

How far away is the nearest tesco to the college? Is there just the one tesco (or dunnes) in the city? Just for the essentials :)

Where abouts is the trainstation in the city and would it be within a walkable distance to the IT? Or would a taxi be required/recommended?

I believe the IT has 4 different campus', how far apart would they all be from one another?

Also any areas or spots people would advise to steer clear of?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tesco important to you? :)

The nearest is a few hundred metres away, the station is on the Kilkenny side of the river Suir so about 3 km from the main Cork Road WIT facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll bullet my answers for you:

5 tesco's in the city

tesco by wit is less then 4min walk

train station is good 30min walk

campus's are all pretty close maybe 10 or 15min between them.

Be wary of estates around wit except lismore park area.

Anything else feel free to ask and welcome to the fourm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thanks lads. And I wouldn't say anyone will know, but campus accomodation is booked out, so is there anywhere you would reccomend to stay?

Check out this thread

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055874076

my advice is to ring wit and they'll put ya through to accomdation services. Whatever you do spend as much as you can on rent. Cause the cheap ones are shocking in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »

I'd agree with that. Some thugs consider students easy pickings, so I wouldn't hang about waiting for the bus from WIT library into town late at night. (There is on campus security so I wouldn't be worried even late at night eg 11pm on campus, but I wouldn't leave valuables lying around).

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but just use your common sense and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

dayshah wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. Some thugs consider students easy pickings, so I wouldn't hang about waiting for the bus from WIT library into town late at night. (There is on campus security so I wouldn't be worried even late at night eg 11pm on campus, but I wouldn't leave valuables lying around).

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but just use your common sense and you'll be grand.

You lot really make me laugh sometimes,sure theres no students living in Larchville and Lisduggan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi guys will be moving to waterford in the next week or two to start in WIT, never been to waterford city myself so just have a few questions if anyone could please answer them.

How far away is the nearest tesco to the college? Is there just the one tesco (or dunnes) in the city? Just for the essentials :)

We have 3 Tescos, one of which is the bigger Tesco Extra (24hrs, Ardkeen). There is a new Tesco opening up near the college - Tesco Ballybeg. There is one Dunnes in City Square for that type of shopping but wouldn't be as late opening as Tesco.
    Where abouts is the trainstation in the city and would it be within a walkable distance to the IT? Or would a taxi be required/recommended?

Bus or Taxi recommended IMO. Fair bit of a walk.
    I believe the IT has 4 different campus', how far apart would they all be from one another?

There are 2 campuses really, the third isn't open for students really I don't think. Cork Road Campus and College St. within walking distance each about 15mins.

Cheers in advance.

For Students, I recommend looking in the WIT Forum for further information on the college. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

5 tesco's in the city

Anything else feel free to ask and welcome to the fourm.

Train station is 30 min walk?:eek: It takes 40 mins at least to get from Cherrymount to train station and 30 mins to get from Cherrymount to main campus. (I walk both these routes regularly). Allowing for overlap you'd want at least an hour to comfortably walk from main campus to train station.

5 tesco's in the city
    Theres 3 Tesco's soon to be 4 in the city,and 1 in Tramore.
    Tesco Lisduggan yes would be about 5 minutes walk away from Cork road campus,Tesco Poleberry would be 2-3 minutes walk from the College st campus.
    The train station from the Cork road campus would be more of a 40-50 minute walk away,from the College st campus about 10-15 minute walk away.
    The WIT and college st campus's would be about 10-15 walk from each other.
    By this logic you are telling the OP to avoid such areas as,Sunrise cresent,Claremount,Clun A Laoi,Woodlawn Grove,Larchville,Lisduggan,Ballybeg,Belvedere drive,Belvedere manor,Lauradell,Norwood,Lismore lawn,Comeragh green,Templars hall,carraig an ard,Bracken grove,and the only area not to be wary of is the safe haven of Lismore park,come on ffs you cant be serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Adyx wrote: »
    Train station is 30 min walk?:eek: It takes 40 mins at least to get from Cherrymount to train station and 30 mins to get from Cherrymount to main campus. (I walk both these routes regularly). Allowing for overlap you'd want at least an hour to comfortably walk from main campus to train station.

Ah cmon I've done the cherrymount walk in 20 mins :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah,

I see now it was train station and not bus station which does add a bit on. I had bus station in my head when I said 30min which isn't far off at a very quick pace.

In any event I wouldn't walk it with luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Thanks lads. And I wouldn't say anyone will know, but campus accomodation is booked out, so is there anywhere you would reccomend to stay?

Try the riverwalk apartments on the inner ring road, easy walk to all college campuses, city, tesco poleberry, etc.

Avoid Ballybeg area and Lisduggan area. On saying that, like everyplace in Ireland, dont walk around if you can help it like a target by yourself at night, try to walk with someone and know where you are walking. This isnt New York but just use your common sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ah cmon I've done the cherrymount walk in 20 mins :pac:

I'm only small though. :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »
    like everyplace in Ireland, dont walk around if you can help it like a target by yourself at night

So everyplace in Ireland your going to be robbed, beaten up or kidnapped if you walk on your own, seriously? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Theres 3 Tesco's soon to be 4 in the city,and 1 in Tramore.

Tesco Lisduggan yes would be about 5 minutes walk away from Cork road campus,Tesco Poleberry would be 2-3 minutes walk from the College st campus.

The train station from the Cork road campus would be more of a 40-50 minute walk away,from the College st campus about 10-15 minute walk away.

The WIT and college st campus's would be about 10-15 walk from each other.

By this logic you are telling the OP to avoid such areas as,Sunrise cresent,Claremount,Clun A Laoi,Woodlawn Grove,Larchville,Lisduggan,Ballybeg,Belvedere drive,Belvedere manor,Lauradell,Norwood,Lismore lawn,Comeragh green,Templars hall,carraig an ard,Bracken grove,and the only area not to be wary of is the safe haven of Lismore park,come on ffs you cant be serious.

Lismore Park, Lismore Lawn, Lauradell and Comeragh green are so close as to be almost the same place and you could add Belvedere drive and manor into that conceivably as well. Claremont is pretty much a part of Larchville for all intents and purposes.

The main areas to stay away from are Ballybeg, Templars Hall, Larchville and Lisduggan. Johns park is not the first place in the city I'd go either, ditto for Farran Park.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So everyplace in Ireland your going to be robbed, beaten up or kidnapped if you walk on your own, seriously? :rolleyes:

It has happened several times that students were attacked waiting for the bus outside the library or walking along the Ballybeg side of WIT. Why should we hide this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Lismore Park, Lismore Lawn, Lauradell and Comeragh green are so close as to be almost the same place and you could add Belvedere drive and manor into that conceivably as well. Claremont is pretty much a part of Larchville for all intents and purposes.

The main areas to stay away from are Ballybeg, Templars Hall, Larchville and Lisduggan. Johns park is not the first place in the city I'd go either, ditto for Farran Park.

nothing wrong with johns park lad,plenty of decent people living there.theres scummers everywhere,and yes that includes the dunmore road set,think theyre all 'gangstas'

If they were the same place they would have the same name,and Sunrise Cresent would be more a part of Larchville than Claremont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

If they were the same place they would have the same name,and Sunrise Cresent would be more a part of Larchville than Claremont.

Lisduggan proper includes Lisduggan housing estate, Larchville, Manor Lawn, Pine mews, Belvedere, Lismore park, Sunrise cresent and Clare Mount. Just saying like. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Get a grip boy will ya and have a bit of cop on.

Get a grip boy will ya and have a bit of cop on.

I don't need to get a grip,and i have plenty of "cop on".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers for the help lads, appreciate it. Was down today for a first time gawk at the city and liked what I saw to be honest, seems like a nice place. The Cork Rd campus seems a good bit away from the city though which could be a bit of a problem, what is to avoid about Templars Hall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

lots of houses rented to students, who tend to have parties etc. that get a bit out of hand. which leads to run ins with residents

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Cheers for the help lads, appreciate it. Was down today for a first time gawk at the city and liked what I saw to be honest, seems like a nice place. The Cork Rd campus seems a good bit away from the city though which could be a bit of a problem, what is to avoid about Templars Hall?

Originally Posted by longshanks
    lots of houses rented to students, who tend to have parties etc. that get a bit out of hand. which leads to run ins with residents

Reading the first page of this thread I was going to reply "Avoid Templars Hall!!" as a bit of a pisstake ...but then again if you are a student and want to avoid serious life changing (or possibly life ending) injury then Templars Hall may be a place to steer clear of.

I know of two incidents last year where a hard working,pay-the-bills-on-time type of honest ,decent resident completely lost the plot and violently attacked students living next door to them.

If you encounter some scumbag from Ballybeg/Larchville or the Church road in Lisduggan (all the nice Lizzies live near Arbour road :) ) at worst they may only want to rob your money/phone and give ye a few digs.

But dealing with a baseball bat wielding lunatic banging in your front door because you've woken up his kids at 4'clock of a Thursday morning...for the umpteenth feckin time ...could be a far more serious problem to deal with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »
    It has happened several times that students were attacked waiting for the bus outside the library or walking along the Ballybeg side of WIT. Why should we hide this information?

I'm not in anyway saying that anything should be hidden, my problem is with the generalization...."everyplace in Ireland"

So everyplace in Ireland is as unsafe as the bus stop at ballybeg? :rolleyes:

I'm not in anyway saying that anything should be hidden, my problem is with the generalization...."everyplace in Ireland"

So everyplace in Ireland is as unsafe as the bus stop at ballybeg? :rolleyes:

OK, to be honest I would be a bit nervous walking anywhere in Waterford alone late at night (or any city in Ireland), but I would be particularly nervous if alone at that bus stop after 8pm during winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

THall04 wrote: »
    Reading the first page of this thread I was going to reply "Avoid Templars Hall!!" as a bit of a pisstake ...but then again if you are a student and want to avoid serious life changing (or possibly life ending) injury then Templars Hall may be a place to steer clear of.

I know of two incidents last year where a hard working,pay-the-bills-on-time type of honest ,decent resident completely lost the plot and violently attacked students living next door to them.

If you encounter some scumbag from Ballybeg/Larchville or the Church road in Lisduggan (all the nice Lizzies live near Arbour road :) ) at worst they may only want to rob your money/phone and give ye a few digs.

But dealing with a baseball bat wielding lunatic banging in your front door because you've woken up his kids at 4'clock of a Thursday morning...for the umpteenth feckin time ...could be a far more serious problem to deal with.

Yep, this isn't an urban legend of a story that has grown legs. This did happen. Tensions has been escalating over the past few years and this is a tiem I wouldn't fancy being a student in Templar's Hall. It's also not a place I'd like to be walking to on my own late at night. There's basically no need to put yourself in that situation.

Use your loaf mate, I didnt say are going to did I, but there is always an outside possibility

• Advertisement
Advertisement