Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registration

Options
  • 28-08-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Does anyone know when the information e.g registration giro and such are sent out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

You should receive a letter from LYIT this week.
    I got one of Thursday; includes info about pre-registering on-line, giro form for payment of the €1,500 fee, student services leaflet, accommodation list complied by the SU.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

right heres my question.

the €1500 fee ,on reg day do you have to pay that yourself even if you are applying for it through the grant office? if so , as the song says "there may be trouble ahead"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

tonybhoy72 wrote: »
    right heres my question.

the €1500 fee ,on reg day do you have to pay that yourself even if you are applying for it through the grant office? if so , as the song says "there may be trouble ahead"!!!

If your applying for a vec grant dont pay the €1500 on reg day, just tell the member of staff that your still waiting on word of your grant. If you got your letter back from the vec (i got mine today) then just hand that to them and thats it

I dont qualify for the grant and/or fees, so I'll have to fork out the €1,500 myself.
    As already said, I'd delay paying if you are waiting on a reply from the VEC, although the college says you wont be fully registered until you pay the fee.

Not quite sure what that means???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ok, i was in a similiar situation when i applied to lyit, and went to registration day.

I was told, if i dont have a letter confirming that i have recieved the grant, or been approved, then i have to pay the €1500 and i can apply to have it refunded when i do eventually qualify for the grant.

• Advertisement

I remember reading that as well. Without a confirmed grant, you have to pay up, and seek a refund later.

Also, the Invoice/Giro states that payment must be made by the 13th, and to allow four working days for the giro, so payment must be sent on the 8th.

On the back of the invoice:

Failure to make payment when due will prevent usage of LYIT facilities.
    Enrolment is subject to the Rules and Regulations of LYIT. (i.e. payment).

If you don't have the letter confirming the fee payment from the VEC, and you don't have the invoice paid, and you don't have a fistful of cash - can they refuse registration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I didnt get my grant conformation on time in first year so the way I did it was just pay the money then get a refund as soon as the grant came through. As said above, you're not allowed to use the college facilities if you haven't paid and you're not allowed to sit exams, even if you know you'll get the grant eventually.

If you're certain you'll get a grant and can aford the fee at the moment I'd recommend paying but if you're not certain on the grant then I dont know what to tell you really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The last 3 years I've registered, they never asked for proof of the grant. Last year I didn't have proof, as all the applications were so late. I think it's assumed you're getting a grant if you don't give a giro, or at least it seemed that way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

do second years have to register? i didnt get any letter yet about anything!

was in the grant office today and was told to tell them at registration that I've applied for grant as they (lyit) are being more flexible in the current financial climate as students are less likely to have the fee upfront.

• Advertisement

GismoBaby wrote: »
    do second years have to register? i didnt get any letter yet about anything!

Yes you do, i havent recieved a thing yet either, id say they will send out a letter shortly

Reg times 1 years

reg1o.jpg

Reg times 2,3,4 year

reg2n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paulrosswhelan

oh great my reg time is 11.30, what happens after reg? take it your shown all around campus and stuff yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

oh great my reg time is 11.30, what happens after reg? take it your shown all around campus and stuff yeah?

lol... no :p you go home, or start talking to random people!

ah there is a few induction classes, but thats about it!

Oh The Sarcasm's Killing Me Here :p

Once you register, you get your photo taken for a student card then go and sort out your computer account, cant remember exactly what I did but had to fill in some sort of form on the computer. After that you're free to leave

I still haven't heard a thing from the college either, they seem to be leaving it very late to get word out to people, anyone without internet access might not even know what week theyre going back yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Still waiting on my registration pack..

Still waiting on my registration pack..

Same Here, I Recieved a letter sayin welcome to lyit and what not, but still no reg pack :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shanmeister

I hope the registration pack comes soon cuz I plan on heading up to letterkenny early next week. I really thought It would come today...... ah well.

There's nothing essential in it.
    It has the giro for the fees, and a small booklet with some pre-registration instructions, but that's just about listing emergency contacts - so no big loss if you don't have it yet.
    There is an accomodation list, but again, not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Last year I didn't have anything saying I was getting a grant and they never asked for the €1,500. It was good few months before I had my first installment of grant and confirmation that I was getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Animalxerman

Just need a bit of clarification on a few things, with regards to the fee. Basically, at the moment, I haven't heard back from the Letterkenny VEC about my grant yet (Which was sent in mid-august I believe), So I'm not sure what to do. I have heard that they will allow you to register if your grant is pending, however you have to provide proof for it. Do they simply assume that you will be getting a grant if you don't send back a bank giro? As I said, I'm not sure what to do here, as I haven't heard back from the VEC yet. Oh and, I recieved a letter from Letterkenny IT, And enclosed was a form called an "ESF Section". I have filled it out, but I'm not sure where I send it to. Letterkenny VEC, Or the college itself? thanks.

Just need a bit of clarification on a few things, with regards to the fee. Basically, at the moment, I haven't heard back from the Letterkenny VEC about my grant yet (Which was sent in mid-august I believe), So I'm not sure what to do. I have heard that they will allow you to register if your grant is pending, however you have to provide proof for it. Do they simply assume that you will be getting a grant if you don't send back a bank giro? As I said, I'm not sure what to do here, as I haven't heard back from the VEC yet. Oh and, I recieved a letter from Letterkenny IT, And enclosed was a form called an "ESF Section". I have filled it out, but I'm not sure where I send it to. Letterkenny VEC, Or the college itself? thanks.
    Hey Contact your VEC and ask them to send out a letter to show you applied for a grant, thats what i done, and the following day i recieved the letter, you prob wont get your grant till october, going on what other ppl have said. In Regards to the ESF Form you bring that into the college on registration day as far as i know.

When i registered in first year i brought no proof of any grant with me and explained to the guy at reg that i was waiting on word back and all he said was to bring in the letter whenever i got it, no problems at all.

got letter confirming fees only grant yesterday:)

Probably been asked already but does anyone know exactly what I need to take with me for the registration?

I cant remember what I took last year, know I need the grant confirmation letter but thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

I dont think you need anything else! it didnt say anything in the letter from the college anyway. the only thing that was in the envelope was the bank giro but if you have your grant letter then you dont need that so just yourself and your grant letter, me thinks anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Don't first years not have to fill out a form with their bank details so the college knows where to put the grant money?

I remember handing that in last year.

You only need the grant confirmation letter, thats all i needed last year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

I haven't a thing from the college about registering. No giro or anything and I don't get the grant.
    I thought this was because I had to repeat, but I passed the exam and was assuming it would be sent out to me on Friday then, but nothing..

• Advertisement
Advertisement