Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Out of Ireland as Fast as You Can

• 28-08-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Now I'm only 19 but I recently got talking to my mother about the state of things in Ireland today and she genuinely believes it's pretty much gone to the dogs at this stage. Stuff like rising unemployment, graduates not getting any hint of a job once they leave university with their degrees and corrupt politicians. She said if she wasn't so old she would have up and left years ago so she's probably gonna stay here until the end. She said I should give leaving here a go in the future though. A couple we know are fairly qualified but they're thinking about moving to Canada.

Question is though is it worth it? I've never lived anywhere else but here but then again I'm getting fairly sick of this place myself and a change in scenery (and life) would be welcome. I don't have a lot going on for me here anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

travel, its good for you.

Go see the world, i suggest Africa, south and central america .

You will get a new perspective on how "sh1t" it is here

I recently got talking to my mother

I did more than talking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Canada or New Zealand would be my choice if I was starting out again.
    Good luck - hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Teach English in a foreign country.

Wow, do that on a 6 month contract and you have gained lots of confidence and seen a new culture.
    With a bit of saving you can then head off and do your own thing for another 6 months

OP, if you go then don't do what many others do.
    Mainly drinking in Irish bars with Irish people in GAA jerseys and blowing all your money in 3 months and coming home broke.
    I've seen too many people do that. It's pretty sad and you can stay in your own town if that's your experience.

Head off and go off the beaten track

Teach English in a foreign country.

OP is from dublin.

He'd have to learn english first :pac:

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    OP is from dublin.

Meow... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

OP is from dublin.

Thank god I'm not from Cork. :pac:

Some helpful suggestions here so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

**** an all as it is were still in the top 1% of richest peope in the world. That applies even if your on the dole. We have it easy. Do some travelllng it's good for you.

Thank god I'm not from Cork. :pac:

Some helpful suggestions here so far.

Touche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stockings

Even if Ireland hadn't turned into the big pile of mess that it has, you'd still be well advised to travel. Just because you were brought up in this small area of the world doesn't mean it's the right place for you!!

Get out before responsibility gets you!!!!

(Send us a postcard from somewhere nice.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If you feel you're up to the task then go for it but things should be considered first. Where do you want to go to? The United States for instance, it a pretty tough place to live unless you're a resident. A lot of Americans I believe have to have two jobs because the wages over there are pretty low, and having to cover accomodations costs and living costs are tough going. You could go to the UK, but they're in just as much a bad way as we are. But I notice that a lot of my friends are considering moving over there so maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Canada could be cool, but you'll have to endure the tough enviornment in the winter time and all. At the moment I'm really just listing the English talking countries, but I don't know. It's worth a risk I'd say, and the expierence is great for anyone thinking about living abroad.

...You will get a new perspective on how "sh1t" it is here
    Couldn't agree more.
    Its helps so widen ones perspective about oneself and many possible opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Do what no-one else here has done and emigrate to Northern Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Now I'm only 19... She said I should give leaving here a go

Christ, she's never forgiven you for that stint of labour, has she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

**** an all as it is were still in the top 1% of richest peope in the world. That applies even if your on the dole. We have it easy. Do some travelllng it's good for you.

You must be a politician.

I would love to see where that statistic is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You'd want to watch them foreign parts OP. Theres nothin in em only hoors and Protestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

snyper's on fire tonite

i would hate to captain a ship with an irish only crew, first hint of danger they would be gone :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

do it for a year,see how it goes or else do a springboard course,I did one and it was probably the best thing i have ever done,you spend about 3 months in belfast then 2 months in canada or america or somewhere and then you're back in belfast again for about 2 months.

the best thing about it is that everything is paid for,i mean everything! and you get 196.00 a week to spend on whatever you want,try it out best experience of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Now I'm only 19 but I recently got talking to my mother about the state of things in Ireland today and she genuinely believes it's pretty much gone to the dogs at this stage. Stuff like rising unemployment, graduates not getting any hint of a job once they leave university with their degrees and corrupt politicians. She said if she wasn't so old she would have up and left years ago so she's probably gonna stay here until the end. She said I should give leaving here a go in the future though. A couple we know are fairly qualified but they're thinking about moving to Canada.

Question is though is it worth it? I've never lived anywhere else but here but then again I'm getting fairly sick of this place myself and a change in scenery (and life) would be welcome. I don't have a lot going on for me here anyway.

Even if this was the richest country in the world, you'd still do well to see some other perspectives in another country. It helps with empathy and understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

nah too cushy by half , id recomend packistan and maybe some day trips to afghanstan , give you a whole new perspective in sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

danbohan wrote: »
    nah too cushy by half , id recomend packistan and maybe some day trips to afghanstan , give you a whole new perspective in sh1t.

Fair enough guys but it's not really a valid reason to stay here. I'm sure Ireland was better than Afghanistan or Pakistan in the 1960s but that didn't stop people from wanting to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I want to get the fcuk out of here myself. It's a big world out there and in the grand scheme of things Ireland is nothing but an irrelevant, sh1tty little island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Statistics fail.
    196 euro (single person JA benefit) X 53 weeks (bonus week included) = 10,388 euro. Which means:
    You are the 759,396,872 richest person in the world! You're in the TOP 12.65%
    richest people in the world!

From www.globalrichlist.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Come on people, there's a difference between travelling and deciding to spend the rest of your life in another country.

OP, nobody here can answer for you. You need to ask yourself what is most important to you. Make a list if you have to. If you can find it all here, then moving is just a hassle...

Canada would be a good choice though ;) I love that country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita

OP: There's a ferry at five past 8 in the morning. €34 will get you to Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    and in the grand scheme of things Ireland is nothing but an irrelevant, sh1tty little island.

ah sure if you think that way why not go the whole hog because

in the grand scheme of things the earth is nothing but an irrelevant, sh1tty little planet, a mere grain of dust in the vastness of space

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

You're young. It's healthy for the soul to travel. I'd highly recommend it. I'm back a year from travelling, and although I settled back nicely, I can feel the itchy feet coming back. Too much of the same old routine happening which is partly my fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I want to get the fcuk out of here myself. It's a big world out there and in the grand scheme of things Ireland is nothing but an irrelevant, sh1tty little island.

:eek:

Men fought and died so you could live in this irrelevant ****ty little island. If it wasnt for them we'd be part of the UK with a countrywide broadband service! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ah sure if you think that way why not go the whole hog because

in the grand scheme of things the earth is nothing but an irrelevant, sh1tty little planet, a mere grain of dust in the vastness of space

heh, in fairness though, we can't really suggest that the OP should emigrate to the Delta Quadrant or something now can we. :p

Agricola wrote: »
    :eek:

Men fought and died so you could live in this irrelevant ****ty little island. If it wasnt for them we'd be part of the UK with a countrywide broadband service! :mad:
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 michelle_now

Spent a year in Chicago, Best time of my life. Sometimes i'm sorry I came home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

danbohan wrote: »

Where the hell is Packistan, and who the hell is "id"? Never mind...

OP - give Europe a shout. Defintiely give you a perspective on how **** it is there...

Also, if things don't work out, you're only a couple of hours away on a Ryanair flight and if it does, you cen keep try somewhere more adventurous

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You should travel to other countries, its an experience that will change your perspective on life, whether you realise it or not.

As said, Ireland isnt as bad as people say but if like me and sick of short term contracts and sitting on your hands waiting for an employer to give you a fair chance then go and enjoy yourself.

Irish seem to want to put themselves under stressful conditions, boom times and bust. Countries like Australia are more relaxed and have emphasis on quality of life rather than continually keeping up with the Jones's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Riddle101 wrote: »
    If you feel you're up to the task then go for it but things should be considered first. Where do you want to go to? The United States for instance, it a pretty tough place to live unless you're a resident. A lot of Americans I believe have to have two jobs because the wages over there are pretty low, and having to cover accomodations costs and living costs are tough going. You could go to the UK, but they're in just as much a bad way as we are. But I notice that a lot of my friends are considering moving over there so maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Canada could be cool, but you'll have to endure the tough enviornment in the winter time and all. At the moment I'm really just listing the English talking countries, but I don't know. It's worth a risk I'd say, and the expierence is great for anyone thinking about living abroad.

UK ? London in particular is still a good place to find work - accommodation can be expensive, but house-sharing is often affordable. I made the same move myself a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Living abroad is a great experience! I've lived in Canada & hope to move to New Zealand later this year.

Just be aware that it's quite expensive to move to places like the US, Canada, Oz, NZ etc. Visa's, flights & insurance all add up to a hefty sum & that's before you've even got off the plane.
    Wage's in Canada/US can also be very low, especially jobs like working in stores etc.

If worst comes to the worst & living abroad doesn't work out for you at least you'll have given it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

I couldn't tell from your post if you've graduated University and if so what kind of degree you hold. But you're young and you it doesn't sound like you have a bunch of responsibilities holding you down, so I say get out there and travel.

You don't need two jobs to make it in America, it just depends on where you choose to live. Since you're going to be by yourself, you can rent a room from someone instead renting an apartment by yourself to cut down your costs. It also depends on if you have a degree or what skills you have to offer a potential employer with regard to how much you'll be paid, there's just so many variables. Yes, if you want to live in New York City, it'll be costly. But, if you choose a rural area to live and commute to a city the housing costs won't be as expensive, but of course you have to incur the commuting costs and the inconvenience, there's always trade-offs.

Just to be able to have the chance to be young and travel before you have to settle down is a grand opportunity, one that I think you will always remember and appreciate if you do it, and regret if you don't.

Don't come to America looking for honest politicians though, I haven't met one yet:D

Do you have any friends that live abroad? If so, see if you can hook up with them. I've got a friend in NZ that just came to the States a couple of weeks ago and we met up last weekend to party with a bunch of us bikers she'd met over the internet and we had an absolute blast. I'll be heading her way for a visit next year.

I say good on ya and go for it lad!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i'm 15 and i'm already planning and hoping to get the f**k outta here as soon as i finish college :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭who what when

You obviously havent traveled much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I did more than talking

Best comment I've seen in ages!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

That cant be right. Im in the top 0.9% richest people in the world. How come im sittin in on a sat night with €13 to my name till payday Tuesday :rolleyes:

anniehoo wrote: »
    That cant be right. Im in the top 0.9% richest people in the world. How come im sittin in on a sat night with €13 to my name till payday Tuesday :rolleyes:

how much a year,come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

my bro left for oz 4 yrs ago. he was a real mammys boy, my ma said "he'll be home by xmass", he's still there living the dream. he's met a whole new set of mates and its been the makings of him.
    go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

pmcmahon wrote: »
    how much a year,come on
    Did it again (after tax)..bit "better" i.e less rich lookin! Top 2.1%! Doesnt feel like it though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Travelling is good, so long as you do it for the right reasons.

I wanna leave Ireland too, but not because of the "state" of things here. I like Ireland, I just want to see other parts of the world and experience different cultures for a while.

I can't stand people who don't realise how lucky they are to live in one of the wealthiest, safest and most highly developed countries in the world. Sure, we've gone through a rough patch in the past few years but the quality of life in this country is still far greater than most other countries. Anyone who complains about Ireland being a sh1thole should go live in Baghdad or Mogadishu, or Pakistan/New Atlantis for a while. I can bet they'd be crying for this so-called "dump" in a matter of hours. :rolleyes:

anniehoo wrote: »
    Did it again (after tax)..bit "better" i.e less rich lookin! Top 2.1%! Doesnt feel like it though :(

i'd imagine its actually quite probable when you take into account the wages paid in ireland,western europe and america compared to the rest of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I'm 30, lived in peckham (south London) for a few months back in 2001 and that's about it really, was some craic living somewhere outside of the comfort zone and with the state of the country at the mo me and my gf will be leaving asap for Germany/holland or belguim

last one out turns out the lights at the airport!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

You could enjoy the best of both worlds by joining the travelling community here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

pmcmahon wrote: »
    how much a year,come on

About 50K a year, according to the website.
    Better money management needed, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Elevator wrote: »
    I'm 30, lived in peckham (south London) for a few months back in 2001 and that's about it really, was some craic living somewhere outside of the comfort zone and with the state of the country at the mo me and my gf will be leaving asap for Germany/holland or belguim

last one out turns out the lights at the airport!!!

holland will be my destination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

charlemont wrote: »
    holland will be my destination

What would living in Holland be like without speaking Dutch??

I know pretty much 95% of them can speak fluent English but I'd imagine you'd still feel quite out of the loop without the native language for making friends and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

What would living in Holland be like without speaking Dutch??

I know pretty much 95% of them can speak fluent English but I'd imagine you'd still feel quite out of the loop without the native language for making friends and all.

spent few months there 10 years ago, great country to make friends in, language is no problem as long as they know you respect their country..

• Advertisement
Advertisement