Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you be allergic to just one dog?

Options
  • 28-08-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have had dogs (and cats, but not at the moment) all my life and have never had a problem. I adopted a terrier cross, Millie, 18 months ago and she is mainly an indoor dog and all has been fine. Then, two weeks ago I adopted Max, a basset hound cross, as a companion for her. They are getting on well and I am thrilled. However, around the time Max arrived I started wheezing. I though I had a chest infection so I took a course of antibiotics I had at home but things did not improve so I went to my doctor. She asked if anything had changed in the house recently and, naturally, when I mentioned Max she jumped on it and said I must be allergic to him! I cant understand this - I have never had allergy problems with my pets before and had none with Millie at all. Doctor suggested I sned Max somewhere for a couple of weeks to see if my breathing improves but I refuse to so that as he is only settling in here and I cant upset him again.
    Just to add, Max is stratching at his ears alot and actually makes the tips of them bleed. I have had him treated for fleas and the vet gave a quick look at his ears during a routine examination. However, he came to me from the pound so I am wondering if perhaps he has a problem that needs to be treated and, if he can be cured, then so will I and we can all live happily ever after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

would it be mites? i have a basset and my vet thinks he has ear mites when he gets ear infections because apparently a basset ear is the perfect place for an ear mite! i guess then you might also be reacting to the mites? worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thanks for that. To be honest I know nothing about mites but I will do a bit of reaearch now. I am praying it is something that can be cured - for both of us. I could not bear to send him to a shelter or see him moved from here again. He has really settled in here so well and I know, in his doggy mind, he has found his forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

would it be mites? i have a basset and my vet thinks he has ear mites when he gets ear infections because apparently a basset ear is the perfect place for an ear mite! i guess then you might also be reacting to the mites? worth a shot

prob has the mites .see if the ear smells bad and check for head shaking ask a vet for some ORIDERML if he has an inner ear infection and make sure you get it right into the ear canal he will prob need a coarse of anti inflams too .my lad had it and i was chesty with the mites but its clearing up now it will take about 20 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

pokertalk wrote: »
    prob has the mites .see if the ear smells bad and check for head shaking ask a vet for some ORIDERML if he has an inner ear infection and make sure you get it right into the ear canal he will prob need a coarse of anti inflams too .my lad had it and i was chesty with the mites but its clearing up now it will take about 20 days

Thank you so much for that reply. There is no smell from his ears but be does shake his head violently - we've nicknamed him Shakin' Stevens! I still have the lampshade on him, although his stitches from his neutering are due to be removed today. I am taking him to an excellent vet on Wednesday morning - a guy I have great faith in - and will leave his collar on till then. I am just praying I am not allergic to him. I could not bear to lose him now. He's only been here just over 2 weeks but he is so settled and happy (and spolied!) it would be absolutely cruelty to take that all away from him again.

Advertisement