Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love to the parents of deceased

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Listen, during the immediate aftermath of this tragedy respect should be given to the family, time to allow them to grieve without added worry. People see, step out for 5 mns, as something that is criminal. Nobody here knows the truth of the matter, did the child have a best friend next door and she was going to step out into the garden with her, in all honesty we cannot make assumptions without knowing the full story.

I am actually sorry I posted this thread now, unfortunately the keyboard warriors have descended, something that I would not expect in such a tragic situations, but yes, sitting at our screens, in the safety of our homes, we all know better:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

No matter what the parents did or didn't do, the guilt in their own hearts about it is going to ensure that they pay for it for the rest of their lives.

I think that's punishment enough for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look my first toughts when I heard the fact her parents seem to have been ok with her going out was WTF, even at the weekend my 12 year old is not allowed out of his room never mind the house.

Well the person who handed himself into the garda who is 18 has been charged, which means this is no an ongoing court case which restricts even more so what the media and online media including this site can publish, and yes when you post a post the site legally is said to have published it.

It is an extremely tragic thing to have happened and I am sure will effect the friends, family and community for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I read on the newspaper tis morning,he thought she was 17.I mean wth has that got to do with anything.He killed a child and hope they lock him up for good.
    I am not going to give out about the parents.All i can think for them is what they must be going through :( R.I.P Michaela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

She was their youngest and their only daughter.

There's a lot of negativity about her in the papers today.

God help them - they will suffer for the rest of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Listen, during the immediate aftermath of this tragedy respect should be given to the family, time to allow them to grieve without added worry. People see, step out for 5 mns, as something that is criminal. Nobody here knows the truth of the matter, did the child have a best friend next door and she was going to step out into the garden with her, in all honesty we cannot make assumptions without knowing the full story.

I am actually sorry I posted this thread now, unfortunately the keyboard warriors have descended, something that I would not expect in such a tragic situations, but yes, sitting at our screens, in the safety of our homes, we all know better:rolleyes:

I think you knew what you were doing by starting this thread. Were you seriously thinking that people would not be of the opinion that a twelve yr old shouldn't have been walking the streets for whatever reason?.. of course people are going to share their opinions and of course the circumstances of the death and the age of the child will generate strong opinion.

As this is a current case due before the courts we can not allow posts talking about what may or may not have happened.

BTE72 wrote: »
    I think you knew what you were doing by starting this thread. Were you seriously thinking that people would not be of the opinion that a twelve yr old shouldn't have been walking the streets for whatever reason?.. of course people are going to share their opinions and of course the circumstances of the death and the age of the child will generate strong opinion.

Oh wow, you know me so well:rolleyes:

I am not one to cast judgement, starting this thread was an action whilst still in disbelief of what happened. In hindshight I wish I hadnt, had I the power to delete the thread you can trust me it would be long gone. I naively believed that like me others would wish to express their sympathy, yes I am naive, unfortunately I assume the best of people.

Well done on you for being yet another person to cast judgement on those they do not know!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unfortunately these parents have to take the hardship for what might with any luck yield some fear for parents who allow their own children to engage in similar behaviour.
    We see it time and time again - young children & teenagers who hang around with much older teenagers and young adults, get into trouble. No good can come of your child hanging around with young adults. They get exposed to things which they shouldn't.

My deepest sympathies to the family involved, but hopefully some social good can come of this tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As this is a current case due before the courts we can not allow posts talking about what may or may not have happened.
    Unless the case has been referred to the DPP and the DPP has initiated proceedings within the last 4 hours (last time I checked) then it's not due before the courts currently. And even if it is, conjecture is perfectly fine. I know where you're coming from but it is actually possible to discuss what may or may not have happened without prejudice. Obviously outright slander would still not be permissible.
    seamus wrote: »
    My deepest sympathies to the family involved, but hopefully some social good can come of this tragedy.

Sadly I fail to see what social good can come of this. There have been young girls killed in Ireland over the last few years. There have been many documented cases of young girls being abused. Yet young children are still allowed wander unsupervised at various hours of the day. And despite this I can't see that changing.

Without accusing these parents of anything as I don't know the actual circumstances, I cannot understand how they allowed a 12 year old to go out to meet someone after midnight.

I am certain they are asking themselves why right now too and they have my deepest sympathy also for their tragic loss.

[edit]I should mention that I mean discussion here among adults - I haven't read the juvenile cesspool (aka AH) thread nor do I intend to.

• Advertisement

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/teenager-remanded-on-charge-of-murdering-girl-471413.html
    The teenager was remanded in custody to Cloverhill Prison and will appear before Cloverhill District Court on Friday morning.

He's charged remanded and the first court date has been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

As far as I can see the OP clearly put the words "love to the parents" in the thread title....................

This would suggest to me that this thread is for positive remarks towards the parents and I think the OP's wish should be respected. Is it not against forum rules to do otherwise?? :confused:. I could be completely wrong on that!!

If this is a problem, I'm certain that another thread could be created for those who wish to pick over the parents actions (unknown though they currently are):)

OP has clearly stated that she is very uncomfortable with a thread she created being used at this time to berate the parents and really, I wouldn't blame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any need to pass judgment that I might consider (for the record, I don't) is instantly assuaged by the scale of the consequence here: to me, there certainly isn't any worse "punishment" for an error of parental judgment than the loss of your child and in this instance, I feel no desire to add to what is already an effective life sentence for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

stovelid wrote: »
    Any need to pass judgment that I might consider (for the record, I don't) is instantly assuaged by the scale of the consequence here: to me, there certainly isn't any worse "punishment" for an error of parental judgment than the loss of your child and in this instance, I feel no desire to add to what is already an effective life sentence for them.

Brings back the memories of the Madeline mccann case, they have a never ending punishment because she was never found. At least these people have a body they can bury and in someway closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

I live in Clonsilla - and sometimes when driving late evning I see many youngsters sitting at bus stops, next to the petrol stations etc. I would be afraid to walk near to them in the evening and i;m almost 30 years old man.

I can't understand how it is possible that so many kids are walking on the streets late evening/ night they should all sleep at this time.

I can't even imagine that I would let my son to return home at midnight when he will be 12. and what's more to let him go again after midnight.

Parents of that poor girl should be jailed for serious negliance. they should know that she meet with adult men.....

12 years old is a kid only a kid. midnight is time to be in bed not on the street with men.

I know that some of you will say - we want to live in a safe country and kids should be alowed to step ut at any time - but kid is only a kid and there are many deviants living everywhere.....

thats a sad story, but many parents didn't learn anything. I just returned to home few minutes ago, and I saw many kids , not teenagers or young adults, but kids playing, walking far away from their estates and homes.

The title says Love to the parents of the deceased, if you guys dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!

I'm from the area myself and would hate for anyone to think I had anything to do with slating the family.

smelltheglove please do not back seat mod, if you have an issue report the post but you do not own the thread and can't dictate the terms of it on top of the forum rules.

I know what you mean about teens esp those under 16 beign out so late in the evening.
    Honestly at this stage I am hoping them being back at school will keep them in and also the bad weather can be hard enough to get mine asleep with out packs of them shouting and roaring on the road late at nigth even if they are just passing through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

The title says Love to the parents of the deceased, if you guys dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!

I'm from the area myself and would hate for anyone to think I had anything to do with slating the family.

Sorry, but no love from my side to people who don't care and don't look after their kids.

I am in no means bacl seating modding, I never have done in my life, I post a thread stating that I wish to send condolences to the unfortunate parents of a murdered girl and instead it has turned into a witch hunt for the parents, to me that is never mind off topic, but insulting.

As I said I set up the thread for condolences and it has come to light that since I am from the area myself there are connections through family members and I would hate to in anyway be blamed for a witch hunt. On the first page I did request that it not be twisted the way it has gone.

I have reported a post and requested the thread be locked for going off topic. Apologies but I do not want to be involved in insulting a family going through such torture, I would not wish it upon anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

'parents watch your kids'

Is it unacceptable to say the above statement should have applied to the parents of this child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

my previous posts werent displayed as (im assuming) parts of them were speculative and its an ongoing case. and i was wasnt gonna bother posting again but it seems i was one of the very few who tried to defend the parents, so i want to do so again.

without saying what was in the posts, as obviously then they wouldnt be shown- none of you know the circumstances surrounding that night. the only fact we know is that a young girl is dead and those parents have alot to deal with, including their own guilt, which as a parent myself i can only imagine what its doing to them.

many posts on here are very speculative, implying certain things- that the parents "allowed" her to participate in certain behaviour etc. which i dont think should have been displayed either but as im not a mod its not my call, obviously. i just wanted to say that you dont know what her parents "allowed" or didnt allow. and you shouldnt judge til all the facts are known. parents always make mistakes, these parents are paying for theirs and they know what they've done, or havent done, whatever the case may be, so they dont need people crucifying them on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think it's hard for people to just think "god love the parents" without asking "what were they doing letting her out at midnight aged 12". I can understand why people are asking questions about the parenting.

However we don't know the full facts here yet, so calling for the parents to be jailed is premature - in my opinion.

But I think we can all agree that it's very sad and such a waste of a young life.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I think it's hard for people to just think "god love the parents" without asking "what were they doing letting her out at midnight aged 12". I can understand why people are asking questions about the parenting.

However we don't know the full facts here yet, so calling for the parents to be jailed is premature - in my opinion.

But I think we can all agree that it's very sad and such a waste of a young life.

RIP.

Agreed and this is how this thread should End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have a lot of sympathy for the parents of the child in their grief and you cannot excuse the behavior of the killer.

My daughter is 17 and when she stays with me her curfew is 12 and if there is a party or whatever her guests get driven home by me -that includes girls and lone boys.

The "can you collect me" can be annoying and even though we live in a reasonable area you have had incidents including a teenage boy getting raped a few years back.

Advertisement