Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yes it was, the crucifix shaped chip on your should was quite apparent.

Attack the post, not the poster. I don't claim to be an expert in science, religion or even logic, so you're more than welcome to point out anything I've said in this thread that is false.
    You're full of shít.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

They are evolving still, parallel to our own evolution

Why, because they are mimicking human behavior?

Okay, let say they are.

I've seen some documentaries on them making tools and what not, but why did they not evolve at the same rate as us, why was their evolution arrested and ours wasn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yes, I aware this is view the 'scientific world' takes, which was why it formed part of my question.

We know this as 'fact', why exactly?
    Yes we know this as fact. There are fossils that show it for one...

I'm not an evolutionary biologist, I don't pretend to know the intricacies of evolution, although I'm learning more about it.

Are you questioning whether or not evolution is a fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Are there any signs of the apes that are alive today, evolving ..

If so, how so?

If not, why not?

Yes.The use of basic stone and wood tools was observed to spontaneously develop in a studied group of apes a number of years back.There is a slim chance it could be mimicry of humans but unlikely.Google it and you'll find stuff on it.

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    You're full of shít.

That is all.
    Care to expand on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What does evolution have to do with the subject of religiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Are there any signs of the apes that are alive today, evolving ..

If so, how so?

If not, why not?

First off, humans are a species of ape.

The other apes (bonobos, chimpanzee, gorillas, gibbons and orangutangs) may be evolving, there's plenty of evidence for chimps using tools for example, they're just not evolving at the same rate that we did/do.

I've seen some documentaries on them making tools and what not, but why did they not evolve at the same rate as us, why was their evolution arrested and ours wasn't?

I would post a link answering that question but I can't seem to find it somehow.

Jakkass wrote: »
    What does evolution have to do with the subject of religiosity?
    The thread has evolved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

All animals are evolving. In a billion years, if the decendants of homo sapien still exits, they will be very different to the creature we are today. The same goes for apes. Some animals evolve slowly, sharks and crocodiles are supposedly quite similar to the ancient ancestors, others evolve more quickly.

• Advertisement

Evolution is not as simple and linear as many assume (including Darwin).The other apes are on different evolutionary tracks to us.Some are most likey going down an evolutionary cul de sac (we might be too) but others are not.

At various points way back we had common ancestors with different primates.

Hybridisation thickens the plot.Most Irish people have 4-5% Neanderthal genes.Neanderthals were not our forerunners rather a species running parallel to us in evolution until they merged with H.Sapiens and literally disappeared.

Nature is very good also at not putting all her eggs in one basket.Evolution is staggered almost as an insurance.If a cataclysm wipes out say all complex life, there are still primitive ,seemingly evolutionary stagnant life forms that can take up the reigns and get back to the business of evolving.

You don't question why we still have algae or plankton or monocellular life here?They don't appear to be evolving at all.But they are part of the food chain and so they fuel evolution.They do slowly evolve too but at a rate and scale that is indiscernible to the human eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

uuuuuuuujjjjjjjjjjjuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggjjjjjjjgggggghhlllllllllhhhhh

I will never, ever, ever, understand why people who have never educated themselves on a topic feel like they will look like anything other than morons by parading around online trying to attack that topic.

Why evolution is picked on so much by such drooling bullies I don't know either.

Zillah wrote: »

I will never, ever, ever, understand why people who have never educated themselves on a topic feel like they will look like anything other than morons by parading around online trying to attack that topic.

Why evolution is picked on so much by such drooling bullies I don't know either.
    I believe you'll find if you read back that it's the evolutionists doing the attacking.

I think those drooling bullies might be a proof in themselves of evolution.Some of us will evolve quickly some are doing it so slowly they will eventually drop out of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Yes it was, the crucifix shaped chip on your should was quite apparent.

Attack the post, not the poster. I don't claim to be an expert in science, religion or even logic, so you're more than welcome to point out anything I've said in this thread that is false.

You seem to be being a bit hypocritical by saying "attack the post,not the poster", just look at thread I was in the other day, I continually brought up how rude you were being to me but you ignored it.

Anyway, I do believe in evolution but I'd agree with Pete in wondering why apes are still not evolving, along with other animals.

Why evolution is picked on so much by such drooling bullies I don't know ..

But sure we came from Apes, isn't it understandable?

/wipes Neanderthal drool off chin

HANG ON HANG ON!

Relativity is just a theory, right? So why are we teaching it like it is a fact, huh? After all, you say time slows down for an object moving really fast, then why does everything look normal when I run really fast, eh? *cue a handful of people thanking the post* ("Yeah!", they think to themselves "what's that about!")

You damned Einsteinians forcing your beliefs on everyone! You say that the speed of light is constant, then why is it that some shadows are longer than others? Bet you didn't think of THAT mister smarty sciencey pants man.

:smug face: :smug face:

Science doesn't know everything guys!

I think what they're saying MagicMarker is you're entitled to your opinion.But you are not allowed to state it publicly as it conflicts with theirs.You are arguing or debating other peoples beliefs.This means you are a bully and you are trying to force them around to your way of (wrong )thinking.

By stating your beliefs and arguing their validity over those of others you are viciously attacking them.Debate, discussion,reasoning etc are all just weapons of intellectual fascists like you.It's not fair

shut up now please.:D

I think what they're saying MagicMarker is you're entitled to your opinion.But you are not allowed to state it publicly as it conflicts with theirs.You are arguing or debating other peoples beliefs.This means you are a bully and you are trying to force them around to your way of (wrong )thinking.

By stating your beliefs and arguing their validity over those of others you are viciously attacking them.Debate, discussion,reasoning etc are all just weapons of intellectual fascists like you.It's not fair

shut up now please.:D
    YOU ARE AN IDIOT YOU ARE WRONG BLAH BLAH BLAH

That is basically all the two of you are doing, it's not a debate, it's two people just forcing there opinions on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

storm2811 wrote: »
    You seem to be being a bit hypocritical by saying "attack the post,not the poster", just look at thread I was in the other day, I continually brought up how rude you were being to me but you ignored it.

Anyway, I do believe in evolution but I'd agree with Pete in wondering why apes are still not evolving, along with other animals.

Evolution is a really, really, really, really, really slow process. It takes thousands of years for a noticeable change in an animal the size of an ape.

Examples from the insect world, where lifespans are short, show evolution at a much faster and tangible rate.

I'm sure one of the proper scienticians amongst us can point you to a more detailed piece of evidence, but thats the basic reason you can't see apes evolving, its just a slow process.

Oh and being religious does not equal being stupid. I wish people could just have some respect for other peoples views. I get being annoyed by creationism, and when religious attitudes are passed off as law, but that doesn't mean all religious people are so dogmatic that they can't enter a reasonable discourse on science.

In answer to your survey, 100% atheist, but I'm not going to start throwing my opinions at others, and being so caught up in hating religion, that I become dogmatically opposed to it, because really, that's little more than a religion worshipping the lack of a god.

• Advertisement

I will bet the very fate of this planet right now that you have never read a book about evolution.

Chimps and bonobos and orangutans are evolving. Every single life form is evolving. Evolution does not have an end form in mind. Bacteria have been evolving for just as long as humans have, we are no more evolved than a cockroach*. The one thing evolution does it adapt life to the environment in which it finds itself. Our ancestors at some point benefitted greatly from walking bipedally and from having a smarter brain. Other species, such as the gorilla, benefitted greatly from gaining titanic amounts of muscle and developing a harem mating system. Also, evolution happens on a scale of time the human mind cannot easily understand. Very little evolution will have occured between now and when the Romans put Jesus on a cross. It's very slow.

*If anything, one could argue that a cockroach is a superior creature to human beings in evolutionary terms. When the planet is devastated by nuclear fire or commetary impact, they are far more likely to survive than we are.

Off the top of my head, here's a few contemporary examples of evolution that we have managed to notice in our time here on the planet:
    - Bacteria grown in vats for decades evolved to process foods that their species was never before able to eat.
    - Elephants have evolved smaller tusks because of massive selection pressures from human hunters.
    - Wolves have evolved to avoid groups of human beings who move with confidence, as such individuals are almost invariably armed.

I will bet the very fate of this planet right now that you have never read a book about evolution.

Chimps and bonobos and orangutans are evolving. Every single life form is evolving. Evolution does not have an end form in mind. Bacteria have been evolving for just as long as humans have, we are no more evolved than a cockroach*. The one thing evolution does it adapt life to the environment in which it finds itself. Our ancestors at some point benefitted greatly from walking bipedally and from having a smarter brain. Other species, such as the gorilla, benefitted greatly from gaining titanic amounts of muscle and developing a harem mating system. Also, evolution happens on a scale of time the human mind cannot easily understand. Very little evolution will have occured between now and when the Romans put Jesus on a cross. It's very slow.

*If anything, one could argue that a cockroach is a superior creature to human beings in evolutionary terms. When the planet is devastated by nuclear fire or commetary impact, they are far more likely to survive than we are.

No I actually haven't, I have read about it in places though and seen documentaries on it.
    Thanks for the info anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

De facto atheist. I don't believe there is a God, but I don't claim to know anything for certain.

No I actually haven't

Phew, planet safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You clearly don't know what evolution is.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    YOU ARE AN IDIOT YOU ARE WRONG BLAH BLAH BLAH

That is basically all the two of you are doing, it's not a debate, it's two people just forcing there opinions on people.

I'm sorry that our opinions carry enough weight to intimidate ye like that.Surely the strength of your own convictions could provide refuge from our tyrannical "opinions"

Look at the poll for cryin out loud.Ye took a wicked licking and now you're throwing stones out of the glasshouse to divert attention from the fact that religious people have no argument just an opinion that gets dismantled by simple logic.

Thankfully your ignorance is soon coming to an end.

Common sense is prevailing

That poll would have almost been the other way around 10 years ago.

Pretty soon religion could fade away into near total obscurity.I can't wait.I dream of a day when I can titter at it as a relic of the past.We can't rightly call ourselves civilised with malignant ignorance a part of our daily lives

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dlofnep wrote: »

Maybe try explaining it to her then?

I hate how these threads descend into intellectual wankfests.. so some people don't fully understand evolution theory. That doesn't give people an excuse to wave their scientifically created penises around and douse everyone else with primordial goo

If anything it makes people take a dim view of those willy shakers.. what with all the jizz in the eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

We can't rightly call ourselves civilised with malignant ignorance a part of our daily lives

Then I would posit that we shall never become civilised.

.. but thats the basic reason you can't see apes evolving, its just a slow process.

Oh puullleeease!

This is the type of stuff that winds people up.

Do you REALLY think that Storm wonders why she can't see Apes evolving with her own eyes??

Do you think she goes to the Zoo in the hope of seeing an Ape eating a banana, only to then turn into a caveman right before her eyes??

"It's a slow process".

:rolleyes:

Okay thanks guys, y'all cleared that one up.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

I do, well I have the basic idea, I don't know every detail of it.
    Maybe try explaining it to her then?

I hate how these threads descend into intellectual wankfests.. so some people don't fully understand evolution theory. That doesn't give people an excuse to wave their scientifically created penises around and douse everyone in primordial cum

If anything it makes people take a dim view of those willy shakers.. what with all the jizz in the eyes and all

:pac::pac:
    Ahh that gave me a good laugh.
    Edit: Only you seen your post now Pete,here, have a laughy face too. :pac:

Advertisement