Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steel trunking

Options
  • 28-08-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi
    I need to fix steel trunking horizontal along a block wall and need to offset around a protruding vertical steel guider about 2 inch from wall, can i buy manufactured bends to achieve this? if not can someone guide me on details of making this offset myself as i haven't got much experience with steel trunking or conduit , all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its not that hard, just takes a bit of practice. You will find vidoes on youtube etc that might help you. Have you got a benders?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you got a benders?
    I think you have conduit in mind!

What size is the trunking?
    can i buy manufactured bends to achieve this?
    You can buy manufactured 45 degree bends, but you may find that by using them you are forced to make a set that is larger than the 50mm you require.

Always keep the sets long so that it is easy to get the lid on when it is full!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

trunking will probably be 2 inch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

2011 wrote: »
    I think you have conduit in mind!

What, you haven't used a trunking benders? ;)

I would have swore it said conduit :p
    trunking will probably be 2 inch

Trunking is a little harder to explain how to do without actually showing you. Its just a matter of cutting and filing in the right spots. Cutting the walls will give you the acute angles, and taking out a section of the floor will give you the obtuse angle. Is their no one that could give you a quick run down on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you could take a look at the site ive linked below. it will probably be unitrunk trunking that you will be using so might be of help to you.the section ive highlighted shows the internal/external bends ect.

http://www.unitrunk.co.uk/Categories/5/standard-trunking.aspx

they are based up in ballycoolan but dont deal directly with the public but they do supply many of the wholesalers around the country so there is a good chance it will be thir prouct your using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

is it possible to run a length of 2" timber each side of the steel girder and not offset the trunking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya he can keep out alright if it suited -you gotta set out a good bit if there's drops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    ya he can keep out alright if it suited -you gotta set out a good bit if there's drops

Sets out that far look rough usually, if it was out that far its better to right angle the tube then an end box onto the trunking side.
    Obviously it does`t fit coming right angle straight out from wall if only 4 inches to front edge of trunking but you turn the end box in so for example with the end box now out past front of trunking you turn the tube in its saddles 60 degrees so the end box is now neatly on the trunking with protruding tube now 30 degrees from the wall. Looks much better than big offsets straight into trunking if big ones are needed.

Trunking bending takes practice to get it right but it can be done very well in situations like the OP needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya the right angle and end-box is a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    ya the right angle and end-box is a good job

Easier to wire as well, especially in that 2 inch trunking. Another interesting one i used to do when T-ing into an existing trunking was cut the bottom and back off the manufactured T piece and be left in effect with a flange piece, so only have to cut a single side out of the existing trunking to T into it. This left the existing trunking stronger and also just much easier to t into. Also works well for T-ing into a larger trunking with a smaller one using the modified manufactured T for the smaller trunking and cutting a suitable size piece from the larger trunking.
    Worth a mention maybe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement