Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibson Les Paul Studio - to buy or not to buy

• 28-08-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Title says it all, I already have a 10 year old Epi LP that I adore and that I've heavily customised, but when I get some cash I might buy a Gibson LP Studio, and no it wouldnt just be for the name on the headstock, it'd be because I want to get serious(ish) about music, or at least try to.

So is an LP Studio a good axe in your experience, bear in mond I'm not a n00b and I'll be trying exhaustively before I puts my money down.
    Or would I be better off for the money, €700 - 100, going for a higher end LTD EC, Dean Deciever or something.

Enlighten me:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Dont bother , most are aload of rubbish..

Get a japanese Tokai for that price , which are as good as a standard les paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I picked up a Tokai Les Paul Standard LS85 recently for around €500 or. Great piece of kit.

There is a Tokai Les Paul Custom in white on adverts which you shoud consider.
    http://www.adverts.ie/254951/guitar-and-bass/tokai-japanese-custom-les-paul-massive-price-drop-50000-only-this-week/

I also just recieved a 1989 Greco Les Paul Custom in black during the week. Made in Japan also. €500 and amazing value. Even has the long tenon that people rave about all the time.

Japanese Les Pauls from Tokai, Burny, Greco, Bacchus, Orville from around the 1980's are the best value around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Had a studio and it was a plank tbh.

Darren has very kindly linked to my custom above, but on a neutral non sales pitch note, it absolutely hammers the Studio in every department. Big shout out for Edwards Les Pauls as well. Had a John Sykes copy on loan for a bit and loved it. Would personally never go Gibson again particularly when you factor in the cost but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

If you get a good Gibson, they are better than ANY of the copies imo. But you may have to play a few first. To get the bang for your buck, by 2nd hand, and try out a few.

My '93 Les Paul Standard is here for keeps. The quality is a bit better than the Jap models. But at around €1300, thats a bit steep. The Jap models go for around €500.;)

If you do go for a Gibson, 1988/89 to '95 was probably their best era since the early 60's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

there's great value to be had on the second hand market. i wouldn't pay 400 for a new epeiphone/ltd...just go looking online and you'll find a bargain. there are plenty of standard SG's and strats for 7-800 online..and invest in a set of seymour duncan pickups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Lots of quality adive above lads, thanks. Now all I need is some cash.

Seriously though, I'll definitely be trying exhaustively before I commit money.

Lots of quality adive above lads, thanks. Now all I need is some cash.

Seriously though, I'll definitely be trying exhaustively before I commit money.

The Edwards, Tokai etc. would probably be a net purchase though. Unless someone is selling one locally.

That Tokai Les Paul Custom in white on adverts is still the best choice so far.

Advertisement