Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge suggestions

Options
  • 28-08-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Started having porridge for breakfast 5 weeks ago as part of a new diet and training regime.
    Have to say i was sceptical to begin with but am now a full convert.

Just wondering what do other people prefer to add to it for additional taste.

I love a chopped banana and some raisins but have also tried strawberries and raspberries.

Can anyone else suggest any other recipes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Blueberries, prunes, cinnamon, vanilla extract or honey. Seeds like sunflower seeds can be mixed in also but i havn't tried it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Soak raisins in whiskey and you'll never eat anything but porridge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Linseed, cinnamon and honey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any soft fruit really. Raspberries are great. Raisins are my absolute favourite though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

I always add in some muesli to thicken it, some peanut butter and jam works really well. I generally mash the banana in if I have any, and if there's a tin of Roses lying around I'll throw a few in as they melt nicely :P I sometimes just stick to a small bit of butter when I want something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

one word Prunes .............. you cant go wrong get the ones that have been pipped and are dry they make it nice and sweet and as you may know do loads of other things for ya lol ................

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ground almonds, swhirled into the porriage.
    Tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭nhg

Dried cranberries and Linwoods Milled flaxseed, almonds, brazil nuts, wallnuts & Q10 and Linwoods Hemp seed - god I must get back to eating that, have'nt had it in a while myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maple syrup. You can also make pancakes with the oats, check out this old thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055002535

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Maple syrup, mixed seeds (linseeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds) and passion fruit - yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Soak some dried blueberries overnight in the oats/water or oats/milk mix.
    Nyom.

Or go all out and scoff it with cream and honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I always add in some muesli to thicken it, some peanut butter and jam works really well. I generally mash the banana in if I have any, and if there's a tin of Roses lying around I'll throw a few in as they melt nicely :P I sometimes just stick to a small bit of butter when I want something simple.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

thanks all.

Will have lots of fun mixing and matching yer suggestions for next few weeks.
    Think i will stay clear of the Roses suggestion though!!!

Just had a few Roses this evening. Delicious. Not with porridge of course:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Just had a few Roses this evening. Delicious. Not with porridge of course:-)
    I rarely eat chocolate or sweets, it's even less often that I pay for them, so the only chocolate I have lying around are things like Roses, adding them to things like porridge is the only way I end up going through them :P

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I rarely eat chocolate or sweets, it's even less often that I pay for them, so the only chocolate I have lying around are things like Roses, adding them to things like porridge is the only way I end up going through them :P

Roses from Christmas i bet?! I love chocolate and crisps! I try not to buy them though because if they're in the house they're only a temptation to me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would have to be a bit more traditional and say Banana and Cinnamon - maybe a few raisins too, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I usually put banana in and it's fantastic.

I was wondering though if there are any other fruits you could put in whilst cooking. I'd prefer not to put them in at the end of the cooking, but during the cooking so it cooks with the porridge, just like the banana.

Someone suggested to me before to try plum but I'm not sure. I know I could put apricot in but is that the dried or the fresh stuff?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I like stewed apples in my porridge, or just some jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

A teaspoon of blackcurrant jam.

nothing wrote: »
    I like stewed apples in my porridge, or just some jam.

Stew apples? That's interesting. Do you not find it very sour?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    A teaspoon of blackcurrant jam.

After cooking the porridge I presume?

Advertisement