Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which hybred one would you buy or suggest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have the Trek (well it's a 7.2 but no huge difference). It does the trick - reliable and prettly fast.

I believe the Subways are fine but I have never ridden one. I would think disc brakes are a bit fiddly if you're only using it on the road.

Is the Trek worth the extra €100? If you have it, probably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

I had a Subway 2 til it got stolen. I did about 2k km on it with no problems. The disc brakes are great, not fiddly or troublesome.
    However, I won't get another to replace it for 2 reasons:
    A) the 26x1.6 tires are too small and thick for mainly road use and it's difficult to find a thin 26 tyre.
    B) the disc brakes, while great in themselves, make fitting a pannier rack a bit tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can buy thin 26" tyres online no problem. Maybe local shops don't have them. Though I bought mine in Cycleways 26"x1.5".

You can buy racks that are specific for bikes with disc brakes. Maybe that makes it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Thanks BostonB, I know that but I couldn't find anything in the 30mm range that I wanted for the road. 1.5" is still way too much.
    As for racks, I know u can get them, it just limits choice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out of interest, what's your reasoning for going for a hybrid over a low end road bike. Reason I ask is that it will determine your choice to some extent. If it is mostly forest tracks, off road stuff, with the odd commute, I'd go for the smaller wheels. Mostly roads and longer distances favour larger wheels and a lighter bike. Some cycling clubs require a road bike rather than a hybrid, which may also be a consideration.

I got a Kellys NEOS which I love, but is a couple of hundred outside of your budget. Did the etape hibernia on it last week, and while not very fast, it is comfortable over long distances. My previous bike was a much smaller wheeled cheaper Coyote hybrid which is great on forest tracks and even in the snow last year, but much slower and more tiring over longer distances.

Note that I'm a cycling novice myself, but have been through much the same process. As a technically weak cyclist, I still find the wider wheeled hybrid offers more stability and comfort than a friends road bike on the potholed back roads that I regularly travel.

• Advertisement

Thanks BostonB, I know that but I couldn't find anything in the 30mm range that I wanted for the road. 1.5" is still way too much.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6807
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/7363/specialized-all-condition-26-x-1.0/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18801
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/continental-ultra-gator-skin-wire-tyres-26x12-id47122.html

There you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How big a difference does it make do you think? I have a Subway 1.

I've 1.5 on my MTB. Which made a noticeable difference over the knobbly tyres that were on it previously. But if you need even thinner tyres, perhaps you switch bikes to a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

Castle, what size are you looking for.

You would do much better to go the second hand route if your not on the cycle to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

farmerval wrote: »
    Castle, what size are you looking for.

You would do much better to go the second hand route if your not on the cycle to work scheme.

Just like idea of a new bike as it's been 15 yrs since I bought a bike, I cycle about 8km a day to and from work but will hopefully do some more cycling nothing serious just trying to get that bit fitter with the big 40 coming up next yr, the subway 1 was E349 last month now E239, and the reviews seem to be really good,
    I have a a 15yr old falcon mountain bike heavy as meself etc,

• Advertisement
Advertisement