Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-employment medical - is this a job offer?

Options
  • 28-08-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Had an interview recently for a job. A few days later, I got a call asking me to go for a pre-employment medical. Was so shocked to get the call (the interview hadn't gone too well) that I didn't ask if I had gotten the job I just agreed to it. So what do you think? Do companies do medicals on a few prospective candidates and form a panel or just the one they intend to offer the job to? The person who contacted me is out of the office for the next few days so I can't contact them to find out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I've never heard of anyone going for a medical unless the job was in the bag. It just wouldn't make sense for an employer to pay for medical examinations for multiple candidates (with the exception of maybe fitness tests for the Army / Guards).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Unfortunately some companies do do a number of medicals. If you've been asked to go for a medical, it defintely means you're a serious contender for the position, but is not 100% guaranteed that you'll get it. They certainly wouldn't have invited everyone to go for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

dvpower wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone going for a medical unless the job was in the bag. It just wouldn't make sense for an employer to pay for medical examinations for multiple candidates (with the exception of maybe fitness tests for the Army / Guards).

unless they are screening for drugs...marijuana dwells in the system for a month

where such tests are carried out the average failure rate is 20%

moral of the story - dont do weed while jobseeking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

eejoynt wrote: »
    unless they are screening for drugs...marijuana dwells in the system for a month

where such tests are carried out the average failure rate is 20%

moral of the story - dont do weed while jobseeking

No doctor would withhold information about what tests he was doing on a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies, anyone else I've asked has agreed that while I'm definitly in the running for it, nothings guaranteed. It could be that they'll do medicals on the top few candidates and that way they have a back up if someone else turns it down. I'll see how it goes though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

There are no guarantees a medical is simply that another step in the process

OP here again, See a similar thread started over in Work and Jobs but don't want to post there as I want to stay anonymous. Just to let ye know that I didn't get the job after all :( but was told that another position may come up in the future. Just to let ye know in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

OP here,

Sorry for the delay in posting this, just thought I'd let ye know how the situation turned out in case anyone else is in a similar position. Didn't get the job - wasn't told why - oh well, next time hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Last 2 posts approved.

Advertisement