Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from clearwire

• 28-08-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im currently with clearwire, but i dislike it. I pay 40 euro a month for 2 mb, but its always super slow, and its mainely to play games on my ps3 online, im curious, is there any alternatives? I dont think i have a phone line in my apartment too. Also if i game online alot each day-how much downloading would i be doing? I manely want a provider like there plug in and use(no phone line) and one that is faster that does not charge for going over the limit of downlaoding, like clearwire, which slow it down ( i think) any help would be amazing!
    (Sorry to mods if this is in the wrong section)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cheap, direct plug in, reliable with good pings; doesn't exist. Anything you get that's similar to Clearwire will be similar to Clearwire, i.e. crappy non-broadband. Unlimited also doesn't exist. Every ISP has a cap, whether they tell you what it is or not, it is always there.

Your should be looking at DSL, cable or fixed wireless. Anything else is a sideways move and a waste of time, money and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭OutsiderAkuma

i didnt say anything about clearwire not having a cap. I know they and all providers do. I just dont want to be charged if i go over. I asked for help, as in places to try or opinions on other providers. Cheers for that post though, what did you mean DSL and fised and all? can you recomend some providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL = broadband over eircom's phone wires. You need phone wires, but other people sell this. Up to 20Mbps, but average speed is 3Mbps, Speed depends on if exchange is original ADSL or ADSL2+, phone line quality and the distance from exchange. Magnet, Digiweb/Smart have LLU (best). Resellers of eircom are Digiweb, UTV, Magnet, Vodafone (ex Perlico and BT retail/IOL/Esat) and others.

Cable = UPC (ex NTL/Chorus) (unless you are in Dungarvan), Broadbans on the coax that does cable TV. TV service is optional. Speed depends on area. 15Mbps is common, 30Mbps is possible and 100Mbps soon in some areas.

Fixed Wireless: Systems that need to have a view of the mast (LOS= Line Of Sight) usually and exclusively use outdoor radio/aerial to connect with a wire to an indoor part or modem. Not Imagine WiMax, but some other WiMax. Digiweb Metro is one of the best. Imagine (ex IBB) Breeze is OK. There are many other smaller regional companies. (Westnet, Ripplecom, Permanet, Airwire etc). Quality of fixed wireless varies with technology used, the company, how many people they are prepared to (overpopulate) a Mast and backhaul/Infrastructure.

Clearwire and IBB in Ireland is now owned by Imagine.
    Ripplecom has taken over Crosscountry Broadband, Amoco, Ice

Fibre: very rare, but very fast. Fibre optic cable to your home or buisness. 20Mbps minimum. 100Mbps to 1Gbps possible.

All systems can have a router with built in Modem and WiFi, or if the ISP only supplies a Modem, then an ethernet Router/WiFi can be added to any system for about €40

3G/Mobile (O2, 3, Meteor/Eircom Mobile and Vodafone) is Mobile Internet on the Mobile phone system, even if a home router or WiFi point is supplied it's not and never will be Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭OutsiderAkuma

Ah i see, i wanted UPC but they told me my area cant get broadband yet, which i found weird because i know people to the east and west of me, as little as 50 feet, who have it. Im on main street swords basically so i found that strange.
    How much downloading would someone do playing call of duty on ps3 do? say a few hours a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Ah i see, i wanted UPC but they told me my area cant get broadband yet, which i found weird because i know people to the east and west of me, as little as 50 feet, who have it. Im on main street swords basically so i found that strange.
    How much downloading would someone do playing call of duty on ps3 do? say a few hours a day?

I'm surprised any bit of Swords is covered:eek:
    map_dublin.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement