Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000

• 29-08-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭

i'm looking for an entry level dslr with a budget of roughly 400 euro.
    i've been researching the two, and i'm unsure which one to go for. the nikon has the vibration reduction, larger sensor, easier interface, but no automatic focus, unlike the canon, which means some of the lenses have to be used as manual focus. i heard the canon performs better under higher iso settings, which i'll need for doing gig shoots in low lit venues. if anybody has any experience or advice with the two, please help me out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i got an email saying there was a reply from Kintarō Hattori but it doesn't seem to be showing :confused: i'll answer anyways.
    the d3000 doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body, so unless the lens has an autofocus motor in it (most new models do) it's all manual focus, but the autofocus motor in the lens increases the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

stetyrrell wrote: »
    i got an email saying there was a reply from Kintarō Hattori but it doesn't seem to be showing :confused: i'll answer anyways.
    the d3000 doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body, so unless the lens has an autofocus motor in it (most new models do) it's all manual focus, but the autofocus motor in the lens increases the price

I had started a reply but then realised I didn't really know the ins and outs of Canon Vs Nikon well enough so decided to let those best informed give you the advice you need. It's a little late for them so I'm sure you'll have some answers tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two cameras from DP Review...

Edit: If you're willing to buy second hand, you might be able to pick up a higher spec model, canon or nikon, within your budget. have a look on adverts.ie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It sounds as though you've tried both of them out already ? if you found the nikon easier to use or more comfortable or whatever, then just buy it. Subjective impressions aside both cameras are functionally identical picture taking machines. Buying either one or the other won't make a single jot of difference to the pictures you take or how you take them.
    All new nikon lenses are AFS and have been for a while. There's already a fairly good number of them on the 2nd hand market. You're missing out on being able to pick up the older AFD lenses second hand, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's debatable whether scores in Photo-mags are good to go by, but in one I bought a few months back they pitted 8 entry level dslrs against one another. The D3000 came 2nd to the D5000, the Canon 1000D didn't fare so well. It was 2nd last in the scoring stakes overall. Others tested included the 450D which was just in behind the 2 Nikons, the Sony A230, a pentax [can't remember which model] and the Olympus E-610.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

picked up a d3000 in dixons in the airport, i'm not good with uploading images to boards, but the first two flower shots are with the d3000 and the kit 18-55 lense :)http://www.flickr.com/photos/48127495@N02/

Advertisement