Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aquarium..a few questions.

Options
  • 29-08-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 34ltr tank today inc light, heater and filter. I also got a number of basic tropical fish, the only name I can think of now is the balla shark.

Here's what I did:
    Fitted the heater and filter close together. Poured in some tap water & hot water to help raise the temperature. I then added about 1.5mls of "fresh start" to help get the filter working. I also added the same amount of stress coat.

When I bought the fish they came in a plastic bags so I just popped the bags in the water for a while to get things balanced out. After an hour or so I opened the bags and let the fish free.

I'm just a bit concerned now because a few of the smaller fish are staying at the top all the time.

Just wondering what I need to do over the next few days? Do I need to add some more "fresh start" every 2 days for a week? Also, what temperature should the water be and what happens if it gets too cold?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

the fish are at the top because the warmer water rises
    i keep my tank at 25 degrees . I would have cycled my tank before i got the fish to build up Bacteria . kick start te water cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

As Wize said it would have been an idea to to run the tank for a while (a week or so) before getting the fish. Try get a couple of plants, they will help bring good bacteria into the water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Yea, i've just been reading up cycling the tank.

The person at the pet store said nothing about that. She did say to add some "Fresh Start" which is bacteria for the filter. I think I need to add 1-2 ml's every two days for the next week.

Is that ok?

Also, do I need to worry about Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? Again, pet store asst said nothing about this.

Cheers..

Edit: Is there any galleries (post your aquarium) where I can get an idea for decor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Where did you get the tank??

You'd wanna get yourself a water test kit... http://www.fishlore.com/aquarium-water-test-kit.htm Google for more info.

Ideally you should have cycled the tank, even with the kick start... Bit late now, the fish should be okay if their hardy enough.

To get an idea for decor ur best bet is google, also try www.irishfishforums.com for more..

And I'd recommend not going back to the shop where you got the tank.. Try www.finsfurnfeathers.ie (Swords) or www.seahorseaquariums.com (ballymount).. Both great shops

I got it in a newly opened pet store "around the way"..

Ok well, i'm clearly not far off being fu cked!! What to next? Is there a high chance that many of the fish will die over the next few days?

Should I be exchanging the water (50%) every few days or something..

I suppose i'm partly to blame for not reading up on this first, DAMN!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just bought a 34ltr tank today inc light, heater and filter. I also got a number of basic tropical fish, the only name I can think of now is the balla shark.

Here's what I did:
    Fitted the heater and filter close together. Poured in some tap water & hot water to help raise the temperature. I then added about 1.5mls of "fresh start" to help get the filter working. I also added the same amount of stress coat.

When I bought the fish they came in a plastic bags so I just popped the bags in the water for a while to get things balanced out. After an hour or so I opened the bags and let the fish free.

I'm just a bit concerned now because a few of the smaller fish are staying at the top all the time.

Just wondering what I need to do over the next few days? Do I need to add some more "fresh start" every 2 days for a week? Also, what temperature should the water be and what happens if it gets too cold?

Thanks.

A balla shark is way to big for a 34l tank. It will out grow the tank very quickly.

What other fish did you get? A 34 l tank wouldnt be suitable for many fish

Yea, I read that they get quite big alright..

I think theres two guppies (I know, the Balla will eat them..) a two neons, angel, Balla Shark,and some orangish one..

I though a 34l would be fairly decent beginner tank.. I dont plan on getting into this in a big way at the moment tbh. All I want is a handful of colourful fish in a nice looking tank. But, in saying that I am willing to go through the motions to kee the water clean/safe etc..

I'm going to seahorse aquariums tomorrow with a sample of the tank water and tap water to see what I need to do. I'm also going to buy a water testing kit..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Again stuff like neon tetras should be kept in shoals of min 6 but usually up towards 10-12. They are less stressed that way

Do some research before buying stuff like this and dont take the lad, who's trying to sell you stuff, advice as gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Agreed. While I don't keep freshwater fish the advice is the same for fresh as for saltwater. Always do research before buying any fish.

Ok guys.. I actually got the tank size wrong. Absolutely embarresed about this but its actually a 54ltr tank. Not sure if that makes much difference. Is the Bala Shark still too big for that size tank?

I was in Seahorse Aquariums yesterday and spoke to Kealan. He was really nice and I learned a lot from him.

So since last saturday i've been changing out a bit of the water everyday. I've also been adding the correct amounts of AmoQuel (lowers ammonia, nitrate, chlorine etc) and live bacteria to get the filter going..

Things are beginning to look up now.. The water is getting less cloudy and the water is currently at the following levels:
    pH-7.6
    Ammonia-0.5
    Nitrate-5
    Nitrite-0

I think things are beginning to look up.

I'm going to continue to change out about 5 litres of water, add the amoquel and bacteria along with test the water everyday for the remainder of the week.

Then next week i'm going to leaver the water as is and test the water everyday. I'll then add the amoquel if needs be.

What do you guys think..

I'm also going to identify the fish that I have and read up on them..

Things are beginning to look up I think..even though i'm doing everthing completely arseways:o

Thanks for the help guys..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

You fish were probably gasping because of low oxygen or Ammonia in the
    water. You tank is definitely not cycled and you should never have added
    any fish without it being properly cycled.
    It is not you fault because you are just starting out. The person in the shop
    who gave you the advice should be shot. Dont buy there again.

Kealan in Seahorse knows his stuff and wont set you wrong.

Leaving a tank for a week on its own wont cycle it. You have to add ammonia
    for any tank to cycle.

Bala Shark is way too big for that tank. The Guppies are fine though.

If you know anyone with a mature tank you can get some filter squeezings to
    kick start your tank. Best way to do it IMO.

Keep up the water changes too and return the Shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

I saw some bala sharks up in Carrickmines over the weekend, looked pretty class. I have a 110L tank with 3 mollies, 3 guppies and 5 neon tetras. Is it too small for a bala shark and will he eat everyone else!?

edit: actually from doing a quick google 110L might be a bit small so I'll leave them be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I have a red tailed black shark sharing a 110 ltr tankith tetras and Angel Fish . She chases fish around but thats really onlt when i put flakes in

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Sorry for the late reply but 110l tank is way too small for a Bala Shark.

Advertisement