Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 29-08-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

We have an extremely noisy neighbour, who props his window open with his speaker, and plays really loud dance music for the whole street and his neighbours to hear. Ignorant pr!ick. He got the flat through the council so I assume that they are in a way responsible for him.

Anyway, my question is this.

From looking it up on the council website, they advise to "discuss it with the person..." and if that fails, take him to court. Source: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/w...epollution.htm

Can the council not kick him out if he's in breach of his agreement with them? From seeing him around town, he seems to be a traveller of the "rough" variety.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

lila44 wrote: »
    From looking it up on the council website, they advise to "discuss it with the person..." and if that fails, take him to court. Source: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/w...epollution.htm
    That is the correct procedure in cases like this. It is imperative that it be disussed with your neighbour before anything can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

If the persons responsible for noise pollution (or any other kind of anti-social behaviour) were in any way likely to be reasonable or open to discussion, there would be no problem in the first place :(. To my mind, this sort of approach is a total cop-out by the authorities.
    There is NO WAY I would ever again approach the troublesome neighbours in my area - been there, done that, still have the scars on my walls and windows as a souvenir. Some people just cannot absorb the fact that other people have rights and by flagging up to them that they could be taken to court (even as a last resort and not mentioned initially) I'd leave myself and my whole family open to retaliation of the most relentless kind.
    Imagine if you had to to do this for any other criminal offence! Warn the person stealing from your home or plead with your mugger to desist, before having to pursue them in court yourself? Noise pollution is one of the top reasons for community disharmony and individual misery - often leading to feuds and violence. There is scope for a kind of neighbourhood mediation service for sure, but the initial approach should be anonymous, confidential and carried out by a neutral agency. Dream on Domscard, I suppose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

You have to fight fire with fire on this one.
    I suggest you prop your own window open with a speaker, and play really loud country and western music.
    He will have left town within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gavmcfad wrote: »
    You have to fight fire with fire on this one.
    I suggest you prop your own window open with a speaker, and play really loud country and western music.
    He will have left town within a week.
    Daniel O'Donnell's greatest hits should do the trick :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I responded to your post in the Sustainability Forum, but I'll post my points here as well

OK First off, what time of day does he play the Music, if its during the day then you have not got a leg to stand on, if its at night then maybe you and yer neighbours could have a word.

However Id' like to clarify some things first

Are you annoyed that

The Person plays Music 'loudly'?
    The Person got their house 'for Free' from the council?
    The person is a 'Rough Traveller'?

because the Undertone of your post seems to suggest a Darker motivation for your vendetta against your neighbour

also LOL at this
    Some people just cannot absorb the fact that other people have rights

Its a two way street, thats something that seems to be lost in todays world, You may demand that the other person respects YOUR Rights, but what about their rights??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

also LOL at this

Its a two way street, thats something that seems to be lost in todays world, You may demand that the other person respects YOUR Rights, but what about their rights??

Well, I'm glad you got a 'LOL' out of my post - I can assure you I got none at all out of my succession of broken windows and damaged walls after trying to be reasonable with my neighbours. Oh, but I suppose I was forgetting about their rights to self expression ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

I responded to your post in the Sustainability Forum, but I'll post my points here as well

OK First off, what time of day does he play the Music, if its during the day then you have not got a leg to stand on, if its at night then maybe you and yer neighbours could have a word.

However Id' like to clarify some things first

Are you annoyed that

The Person plays Music 'loudly'?
    The Person got their house 'for Free' from the council?
    The person is a 'Rough Traveller'?

because the Undertone of your post seems to suggest a Darker motivation for your vendetta against your neighbour

What a ridiculous reply, just because the guy does not want to listen to music blaring he is accused of a "darker motivation". Also just because the music is blaring during the day does not mean "he hasnt got a leg to stand on ". There is no way this guys should "have a word" he wont have
    a window left in his own house. How niave are you ????

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

The type of resident dictates the way this type of problem should be addressed. It will depending on whether the individual causing the noise nuisance is a private rented tenant, a local authority tenant or a private home-owner. Check out more info and further details at,

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoiseIssuesConsultationPaper/NeighbourhoodDomesticNoisePollution/

best of luck seeking a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Sligopark get your facts right before posting here again. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I think there is a new noise pollution law coming into force, again it does depend on the time of day, but most authorities seem to ignore these problems despite how bloated the public service is said to be... its just too much hassle it seems.

It will be interesting to see if the change in law makes a difference but authorities will take note of a number of complaints better than one

Advertisement