Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Are They Hurling New Horizons?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading about New Horizons earlier but I couldn't find the answer to this question. All I can see is that after the Kuiper Belt it's gonna get shot out of the Solar System, do they have any plan as to what star or constellation they're shooting it towards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I doubt they're sending it anywhere in particular. Basically the thing moves fast by human speeds, but so slow by interstellar speeds it will take thousands of years just to get to the inner edge of the solar system (if the Oort Cloud counts as that) so by the time it gets to any star, if ever, none of us will be around.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055995962

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yes I know all that, but Voyager 1 is set to pass close to AC+79 3888 in about 40,000 years. May as well point NH at a particular star in the hopes that it might be picked up :)

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes I know all that, but Voyager 1 is set to pass close to AC+79 3888 in about 40,000 years. May as well point NH at a particular star in the hopes that it might be picked up :)

I would hope 1.6 light years won't be that big a distance in 40,000 years alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

djhaxman wrote: »
    I would hope 1.6 light years won't be that big a distance in 40,000 years alright ;)
    Id say it could be false hope tbh. Unless you can figure out a way of breaking the speed of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

wylo wrote: »
    Id say it could be false hope tbh. Unless you can figure out a way of breaking the speed of light.

If we are still around and had continued evolving regarding technology etc, in 40,000 we should have sussed out intergalatic travel without going FTL, eg wormholes, bending space etc. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

wylo wrote: »

I wouldn't ay that! Even if we manage 3/4 the speed of light thats only a 5/6 year flight to our nearest star!

I wouldn't ay that! Even if we manage 3/4 the speed of light thats only a 5/6 year flight to our nearest star!

Yup, that's what I meant!

Advertisement