Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grad Ball 2010

Options
  • 29-08-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Dear Bryan,

If you have an issue with us in ULSU and can't contact who you are looking for directly, I suggest you should use our main line contact number, where a message can be taken.

I'm sure you are aware that we have more than one member of staff.

Were you actually at the ball as I was, you would have heard the sound system first hand.

The sound gear was not PROVIDED by the Music Society, it was sourced by them. I know this because I collected it and dropped it to the hotel. So you also need to get your facts straight before writing unfounded letters to a party that has no input into this level of micromanagement of our organisation.

To any students reading, you can rest assured that the sound gear we used was of the highest standard and there was approximately €60,000 worth of gear there. It was not Music Soc gear.

Contrary to the belief of many people, students attending a ball actually WANT to talk to each other and listen to music at the same time, this is why the volume was lower, not bad.

Furthermore, you can write to Don Barry all you want, but he has no control or say in the operation of ULSU. We are an independent organisation that is run with students at the core of all we do.

Our acts have always been booked on the basis of how good they are and affordability for students, not where they are from. The entertainment for the Grad Ball was the same band as last year, all members of the band are Irish, not that it matters.

Should you wish to contact ULSU, I would suggest phoning on 061-202324. We are all busy people, especially in the week just gone with much of my time and the President's time consumed with conferring ceremonies and preparations for the coming week for new student orientation. Our Events Co-Ordinator was extremely busy making final preparations for the ball, sound is not a final preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

All this sounds like, is that some one got dropped as an entertainer is now sulking and throwing toys out of the pram, grow up a small bit, you're not the only one facing uncertain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few things:

The University of Limerick and UL Students' Union are two distinct (though associated) legal entities. I have no idea whatever why someone would complain to the university about not being hired by the Students' Union. The Students' Union has its own staff, its own legal existence and isn't some sort of subsidiary department of the university (nor, I'll add, should it be so).

With that in mind I've no idea why someone would complain to the university president about not being hired by the Students' Union. I'm familiar with the notion of complaining to the highest authority and hoping that they'll pass the complaint to the relevant party. But this smacks of the sort of effort I once saw in a multinational I worked in, where a guy complained by email to the CEO in the US about an issue he had with his overtime. There are times when head-of-organisation complaining is useful and there are times when it's silly. And it's the wrong guy being complained to as well...

This forum is for discussion of things related to UL, primarily for UL students, past UL students and prospective UL students. Not just those but that's its main purpose. It's got quite an element of being a social forum so there are threads where people can have a good chinwag rather than requiring an issue or a question all the time (though issues, questions and so on are welcome too). But we're not the open letter complaining about not getting a contract forum, nor are we going to be at any point in the future.

Corbo, I'm safe in assuming that you're not the guy who wrote the letter and I presume that you had permission to post it. But this is in wackyland - if the guy wants to send a complaining letter to someone who has nothing to do with what he's complaining about, let him do that but this isn't a place for conveniently complaining about not getting a contract for renting audio equipment. Contractors fail to get jobs all the time and rarely write a letter to who they (mistakenly) believe is the equivalent of a parent of the guy who didn't hire them.

If there are students who are themselves happy or unhappy with how the Grad Ball went on Saturday night, they're free to start a thread themselves chatting about it. But while I sympathise a bit with someone who has relied upon work in the past and hasn't had whatever arrangement they had renewed, this isn't the pimp your commercial grievance forum either.

I've edited out the name of the complainant and the list of offered references from the letter in the first post. I have no evidence that the people on the list of references gave permission for their names to be listed as such on the Internet. I've edited out the name of the complainant for the same reason.

As I'm occasionally prone to pointing out, common sense isn't that common. However, a little bit can go a long way.

Thread locked for the above reasoning. It's got bugger-all to do with this forum - it's a grievance issue between this chap and the SU at best. As I pointed out, anyone with any comments on the Grad Ball itself (as opposed to a contractor (or former contractor/whatever the perfect description) dispute or complaint) can feel very free to start a thread about it. As always, PM me if you have issues with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement