Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxes for moving

Options
  • 29-08-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone suggest a reasonable supplier of kit for moving house- boxes, bubblewrap etc. Was going to order stuff online but im sure there has to be somewhere that supplies this from a shop. We need to move shortly as Im almost 3 months pregnant so need to be ultra organised to make this as least stressful as possible ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    I posted this just recently to another user: I'd always advise customers to go to their local supermarket and ask for boxes. They are usually more than happy to give them away and have good quantities. Just make sure they are sturdy and are big enough and can be closed over on the top so more boxes can be stacked on top. The open top short but wide vegetable boxes should be avoided if possible but are better than having the things loose as a last resort.

If you try a Dunnes Stores bakery, the boxes they would have are usually pretty good! Good size, strength and with flaps to close over.

Don't overpack or underpack them and use tape to seal them up and you should be good to go :)

If you'd prefer to purchase somewhere, a lot of the self storage centres will supply packing material such as boxes. I think there's also a boards.ie user who may sell them (online only perhaps?).

Good idea on preparing now though, the more prepared you are the easier and quicker the move will be and much less stress on you and the baba to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks a mil for your reply. I usually go down the shop box route but looking to get ones I can label, right size etc.... its more to do with peace of mind. I feel the more organised I am about the whole thing the more calm I am!!!

Might check out Ikea and see if they have anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well if you're going to purchase them, I'd advise getting ones that are all the same size. It makes packing and stacking in the van much much easier and quicker so depending on the way the removal company is charging, could work out cheaper if they are charging based on time.

You should look for sturdy boxes anyway, some can be really flimsy and crumble with any kind of weight on top. Boxes from Storage centres, made specifically for packing and stacking should generally be better quality. Also, when labelling, you should only need to label the top of the boxes with handles (as whoever is lifting will most likely lift with the handles and will have full view of the top of the box). If they box looks like it can be lifted any way, try label each side, it just means the mover doesn't have to spend ages looking for the label :) I'd also use a thick marker on the box rather than stickers as these can easily get peeled off when squeezing the boxes in together.

Also, at the delivery destination, it's a good idea to put a piece of paper on each bedroom door and number each bedroom (1, 2, 3 etc) then all you have to put on each box is 1, 2 or 3 so it'll be much quicker to label and the mover will know exactly where it has to go.

Also, if you can, try make it very easy for the movers to know what has to go and what's staying, this will mean they can just work away packing the van and won't have to keep asking you what has to go and what has to stay.

Try and have things such as paintings, photos etc wrapped in bubblewrap and all in the same place for the movers to take as they will generally be put beside eachother in the van in a safe place and it can be awkward to having to keep on finding safe places if there are paintings being brought out at different times during the removal.

Also, if you have any garden furniture that has to go, I'd advise taking it in on a dry day (when it's dry itself) so it's not dripping water over everything else if it's been raining the morning of the move.

It would be best to dedicate a room to leave everything that has to go in if possible!

:)

Advertisement