Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new MD/Case for i5

Options
  • 29-08-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Im in the process of upgrading my PC and Im looking for some advice on a new MB and Case.

Im leaning towards an ATX case and GIGABYTE MB but with so many combinations its hard to decide.

Im looking for a small/mid size case as I want to keep my PC in a press, Im also looking forf any advice on cooling + 2nd fan etc. I haven’t had trouble with my current setup but I want to be sure everything stays cool with the upgrade.

CPU Im looking at is the quad Core i5 750, Im OK for RAM and video card HD. Ive basically gone as far as I can with my old dell in terms of the MB/CPU and Im looking to transfer all the upgraded stuff to a new system.

My budget for the MB and case inc PSU is approx €200

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What graphics card do you have? And what space do you have in the press? You might have to go mATX...

Oh, and in most places you should be looking for the i5-760 now, its replacing the 750 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

My graphics card is the SAPPHIRE HD5570 512MB GDDR5

The press I have 46cm deep and 34cm wide with no restriction on height (7-8 foot).

Im thinking ill need a micro ATX but what would be the best combo unit as there are so many different case/motherboard units out there.

Im thinking ill need500w PSU but I think most micro units will fit the avg 500w psu without much problem.

I just want to get a decent base on the case and motherboard before i start into the other bits.

PSU should be easy, but there's a dearth of good low-end units at the moment. Bear in mind that an i5-760 and HD5570 take very little to run; a decent 300-350W PSU would do you happily, but the 400W Corsair and Cougar units are both AWOL :o

The press on the other hand is a real pain in the rear; just that little bit too shallow for, oh, any ATX case on the market :o mATX it is then! But not a desktop or a nice HTPC-style case, because they're too wide instead!!! :o I fancied speccing an Antec Microfusion but its too wide! :( Although to be fair the LCD and remote wouldn't be of much use if its stuck in a press...

If you can use aesthetics to avoid having to shove the poor thing in the cupboard try mounting this inside this. Very flash :cool::D Also gives you an LCD, remote HTPC-ey goodness and kills the PSU issue stone dead :p

On the other hand, if looks can't get around having to shove the poor innocent PC in a cupboard then you might as well put this and this in this in the press :pac:

Both should, if my maths has not failed me, bring you to ~€203 including shipping. A few euros over target, but the former is a great bargain and the latter was a pain due to a shocking lack of suitable cases actually in stock :o

yeah I know the size is a bit of an issue the width is the biggest issue im having. I currently have my dimension stuck in there (19cm wide) but its wedged at an angle and it would be a problem if i got a case any wider.

The main reason to hide it is to keep it out of harms way as i have a 2 yr old going around the place just looking for things to mess with!

I quite like the msi motherboard, its got HDMI port which is a big plus ( I could divert the power from my ati for routine internet tv etc) . I was thinking I may get one of the cheaper matx towers with built in 300w psu and get the more powerful i7 processor for about the same price. It dosent matter to me what the case looks like as long as it does the business.

The thing is that the case isn't there for looks (at least not in the latter case) but rather for some kind of decent airflow and durability, things the €20 wonders won't have. And I wouldn't trust those integrated PSUs on them, certainly not when €200 can easily get you a decent case, PSU and mobo.

Can't you hide the MicroFusion high-up out of your lil' monster's reach? ;):D

In any case don't try to power the HDTV off the mobo's HDMI, you'd be rather disappointed! :o That port links to the GPU inside the dual-core LGA1156 CPUs, which have a 45nm internal northbridge with integrated graphics. The i5-760 (and all other LGA1156 quads) is just a CPU, and the internal northbridge handles the memory controller and PCIe bus, but not graphics. With a quad-core CPU the onboard graphics ports of the mobo just sit there doing nothing :o

• Advertisement

ok say i go for one of the bottom shelf towers which would fit in the space easily. Then use the cougar with the msi I would then have another 50-60 euro to spend on RAM or a 2nd FAN to keep things cool, and if I went with my stock Dell PSU (300w) Id have a few more quid saved.

I hear what your saying with the HDMI but i guess the main advantage the msi has is the wider range on RAM.

I assume both boards can run 64bit windows 7? Is it safe to assume all Matx cases will take either motherboard?

BRM wrote: »
    ok say i go for one of the bottom shelf towers which would fit in the space easily. Then use the cougar with the msi I would then have another 50-60 euro to spend on RAM or a 2nd FAN to keep things cool, and if I went with my stock Dell PSU (300w) Id have a few more quid saved.

Those cases are horrid cringe.gif 60mm fans FTL! :o How much RAM do you have? And I'm pretty sure the screwholes are reverse on BTX PSUs; if you had a little TFX or mBTX PSU you'll have no chance of making it fit :o
    I assume both boards can run 64bit windows 7? Is it safe to assume all Matx cases will take either motherboard?

Yep and yep.

I have 4 gigs of DDR3 (2x2)

Bit pissed off with the .de website - I should have known better but I ordered the older i5 650 on there and Ive been mislead by the add as it clearly has the pic of the QUAD CORE 750 box.

:mad:

Been trying to get onto them but its not clear with the international phone number on the site.

01805 / 711 117

what do i diall before this from ireland? Ive already tried 00 + 49 - 01805 / 711 117

I need to change my order asap before they ship it.

Try emailing them on the order change address at auftrag@hardwareversand.de? TBH loads of websites make that mistake with pics :o

yeah ive sent them 2 amails today I just know im gonna have to ship this back to germany as its prob too late to change the order at this stage. Pisses me off as the add is misleading and ill have to wait about 2 weeks to exchange it.

• Advertisement

Has anyone used this hardwareversand.de place before?
    Their customer service is appalling, I sent them 2 e-mails almost a week ago and still no word back from them. I tried calling the customer service number and might as well be onto chorus NTL! In fact at least chorus ntl have an answering service!

Id logged a paypal dispute over the payment cus im just not happy with the site as a whole. With so many other reputable website out there selling I.T hardware Im not gonna tolerate this B.S for the sake of savin a tenner !

Advertisement