Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Army intake 2010 question

• 29-08-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

I m thinking of joining the army but i have also applied for the Garda in 2008 but havent heard of any intake for a good while. if i joined the army and a year later the garda are taking in new entrants and i m accept. could i leave the army and join the garda if i wanted or would that be a dishonorable discharge or anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

You can leave the army within a very short time the discharge fee during basci training is as little as €25 after training but before you become a three star private its about €250 ish, if you are in a couple of years you may have to refund the DF money for courses etc. that you have completed.

Your service in the Df counts towards the garda pension as time served I believe but I may be corrected on that.

Best of luck with everything anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

They recently had a recruitment drive for the Garda miracleman (within the last couple of months). I remember it on the news because a crazy amount of people applied, somewhere along the lines of 10,000. So I don't think you will have to worry about the Garda intervering with an army career. As you have already found out it shouldn't cost that much to buy yourself out if you really wanted to go fo the Garda again sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

Kinza wrote: »
    They recently had a recruitment drive for the Garda miracleman (within the last couple of months). I remember it on the news because a crazy amount of people applied, somewhere along the lines of 10,000. So I don't think you will have to worry about the Garda intervering with an army career. As you have already found out it shouldn't cost that much to buy yourself out if you really wanted to go fo the Garda again sometime.

I joined the army in 1994 having applied for the guards at the same time. I spent 3 years in the army joining the guards in 1997. I didn't have to pay anything as it was seen as a transfer of service between two government departments. I'd imagine it would still be the case these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Hi

I m thinking of joining the army but i have also applied for the Garda in 2008 but havent heard of any intake for a good while. if i joined the army and a year later the garda are taking in new entrants and i m accept. could i leave the army and join the garda if i wanted or would that be a dishonorable discharge or anything??

AGS will be recruiting within weeks according to publicjobs.ie (not Garda Reserve either!)

Advertisement