Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dunphy Show on Newstalk

• 29-08-2010 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

He's not on again this week. This is the seventh week now isn't it? He gets great holidays!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does he think he works for RTE? Dunphy is man who is hard to keep from his Brittany abode in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

mike65 wrote: »
    Does he think he works for RTE? .
    He's obviously got a great agent who landed him good terms and conditions. I've no problem how long he takes off as I don't have to contribute towards his fee. I doubt it's good for consistency in relation to his listenership though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He's obviously got a great agent who landed him good terms and conditions. I've no problem how long he takes off as I don't have to contribute towards his fee. I doubt it's good for consistency in relation to his listenership though.

Jesus he's still not back! When did he rejoin NT? you're dead right about the listenership figures. The next JNLR book won't be his real figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

i'm done with newstalk, can't keep up with who is presenting what, think the station is loosing all credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Bobby42 wrote: »
    i'm done with newstalk, can't keep up with who is presenting what, think the station is loosing all credibility.

ya starting to feel the same

what ya thing of ryan tuburdy on rte2, heard him once last week wasent to bad.

• Advertisement

don't have much time for rte. newstalk used to be great, but it seems like they're just using Dunphy's name at this stage. he's either presenting a programme or he isn't. it's an absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

i love morning Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

TBH i think all the presenters are taking the piss with stuff like this.

switched in myself this morning, heard ger colleran, and turned off.

i ****ing HATE that guy now. the show's starting to sound like an issue of the star.

i'll give dunphy one thing, if he's responsible for getting him to cover for him he's made damn sure he wont lose his job.

unlike marrion who's replacements are adequetly showing RTE they dont really need to be forking out half a million a year for four hours of radio a week to someone who's worked 3 weeks out of 14.

and now conor brophy is leaving ? jesus will the last person in newstalk knock the lights off before you leave.

R.I.P Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Bobby42 wrote: »
    R.I.P Newstalk
    I'd say that's a bit premature. Seriously though, I think Communicorp should put Willie O'Reilly and Tom Hardy in charge of Newstalk and see if they can work the magic they did with Today FM. Given that it's all in Marconi House and they already share all resources except programming it would make sense. No?

Edited to add: Sorry Mods! I thought I was posting this in the Megathread. Please move it if you feel it should be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That's fine, Lenny...

Let's just try to stray back on topic though, shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Great show today, Dunphy is at his cynical best. Shane Ross also playing a blinder.

I usually listen to Marian on a Sunday (yea, yea, sue me!) as I just presume Eamonn hasnt made it into the studio after another typical night on the tiles.

I will listen to the finucane podcast later on and compare and contrast. I expect it to be the usual downbeat biased sh1te as usual though.

Good show eamonn, keep it up! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »
    Great show today, Dunphy is at his cynical best. Shane Ross also playing a blinder.

I usually listen to Marian on a Sunday (yea, yea, sue me!) as I just presume Eamonn hasnt made it into the studio after another typical night on the tiles.

I will listen to the finucane podcast later on and compare and contrast. I expect it to be the usual downbeat biased sh1te as usual though.

Good show eamonn, keep it up! :)

Sums up almost word for word what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I've been finding Marion's show very dull in recent times, so I've listened in to Dunphy a few times.

It's generally a better, livelier panel alright but Dunphy really overplays the populist stuff and the nauseating a$$ licking of his guests is too much for me....didn't listen in today but I can only imagine what it was like with Shane Ross on with him.

A bit of a populist himself, but I preferred it when Ger Colleran was sitting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Listened to it again this morning,it does seem to be the same people,week in,week out - which seems to be a running issue with Dunphy's shows (Kiberd, Shane Ross, Siobhan O'Connell). It'd be nice to include a few different voices, a little too much consensus there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Cole wrote: »
    the nauseating a$$ licking of his guests is too much for me....

Damian Kiberd's was the a$$ in question this morning.

His fawning over his media buddies is really nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Listened to it again this morning,it does seem to be the same people,week in,week out - which seems to be a running issue with Dunphy's shows (Kiberd, Shane Ross, Siobhan O'Connell). It'd be nice to include a few different voices, a little too much consensus there right now.

Media croneyism, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I didn't much care for Dunphy's performance this morning. To my mind he seemed obsessed with populist showboating on how disrespectful Barroso and Bin Smighi have been to Ireland and our predicament. Easy target to pick Eamo. He also seemed intent on provoking Eamon Ryan into a faux pas with vulnerable political novice Eithne Tinney. Unsuccessfully in the event.

I generally like Dunphy's iconoclastic attitude. Still, though, it's impossible to get away from the fact that Dunphy is an integral part of the Official Ireland he regularly berates.

Still, it's the only show I'll tune into on a Sunday morning at 11:00!

Advertisement