Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Sydney-Cairns with Etihad and kids

Options
  • 29-08-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a return family trip booked in November on the above route. Kids are 11 and 6, with wife also. Never been to Oz, or anywhere outside Europe/US before, so looking forward to it.
    Any advice/tips anyone can offer on the actual flight part? Any advice re transfers in Abu Dhabi (within T3)? Duty Free-best in Abu Dhabi v's Sydney?
    Transferring from Etihad to Qantas in Sydney - do we have to pay (booked as an Etihad codeshare flight)?
    The entertainment for the kids on Etihad looks good - any thoughts?
    Flight times = Dub-Abu Dhabi = 7 hours 20 min, Abu-Dhabi-Sydney = 14 hours, Sydney-Cairns=3 hours.
    All feedback welcome!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Any advice/tips anyone can offer on the actual flight part?

The first leg is a bit of fun. The second leg is EXTREMELY long. The 14 hours from Abu Dhabi to Australia is quite arduous. You cannot bring liquid you purchased outside the airport onto the flight, so make sure you have enough cash at Dublin to buy a bottle of water EACH for you, and your missus, and one each for the kids, plus two extra bottles. You'll need to buy these after security, before boarding the flight.

London - Abu Dhabi - Melbourne this time last year and found the 14 hour flight really long.

Wherever you and the kids and your missus are seated, swap your seats around freely after take off to allow the kids stretch their legs, and to allow them a bit of a lie-down for a sleep. When they're small they can sleep pretty well on a flight with a head in your lap, their feet in your partner's and their body across their own seat with the belt around them.
    Any advice re transfers in Abu Dhabi (within T3)?

Abu Dhabi airport is tiny and expensive. Transfers are very straightforward - it's not anywhere near like transferring at Heathrow, for instance. You'll come in one set of doors and be directed through another. Downstairs is the shopping, upstairs is the food - burger joint up the escalators and around to the left.
    Duty Free-best in Abu Dhabi v's Sydney?

You may not be able to buy it in Abu Dhabi - Australia is very strict about not allowing you to bring in liquids, so they offer you duty free at the arrivals end. The problem is I'm not sure whether they'll let you buy duty free in Sydney and then take that to Cairns, on the same basis - the connection through security with liquids.

Be warned - I'm in Ireland at the moment, after coming through Hong Kong and Paris - and at Paris, they wouldn't allow me duty free rates on my bottle of whiskey, so I had to pay the extra fiver because the guy at the counter told me they based your duty free entitlement on your destination, not your origin - and Paris to Dublin is a european short hop flight.
    Transferring from Etihad to Qantas in Sydney - do we have to pay (booked as an Etihad codeshare flight)?

If they've booked you through from your starting airport to the end airport, all of your fees should be covered.

The entertainment is fine really. Bring a couple of snacky things for the kids that you buy at the airport - you may end up a little hungry on the longer flight because there's a stretch in there for sleeping - if you don't sleep, you can end up hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Just flew abu dhabi - syd - brisbane, and i had to collect my luggage at sydney and check it in again for the internal flight with quantas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You cannot bring liquid you purchased outside the airport onto the flight, so make sure you have enough cash at Dublin to buy a bottle of water EACH for you, and your missus, and one each for the kids, plus two extra bottles. You'll need to buy these after security, before boarding the flight.
    Singapore Airlines provide water regularly during the flight, I assume Etihad are similar. I think that might be a bit overkill on the bottled water.
    London - Abu Dhabi - Melbourne this time last year and found the 14 hour flight really long.
    Agreed, I usually fly via Asia so the 14 hour flight is between Asia and UK. Don't even bother looking at your watch or the flight tracker, it will only make it seem longer.
    You may not be able to buy it in Abu Dhabi - Australia is very strict about not allowing you to bring in liquids, so they offer you duty free at the arrivals end. The problem is I'm not sure whether they'll let you buy duty free in Sydney and then take that to Cairns, on the same basis - the connection through security with liquids.
    Australia does not have the same crazy banality with regards to liquids that other jurisdictions possess. I don't believe there is any screening of liquids on domestic flights. There certainly wasn't when I brought two bottle of white from Brisbane to Mackay for Easter Weekend last year. Similarly there are no restrictions other than customs limits on bringing alcohol into Australia. I always pickup two litres of spirits when in Singapore. As for Abu Dhabi, I would be surprised if their Islamic doctrine overcame their commercial sensibilities with regard to the sale of duty free booze. I can confirm however that Australia does allow purchases of duty free goods on arrival, although for transferring flights I am not sure of the logistics surrounding this. Sydney airport duty free will be more than happy to help with any inquiries you might have.
    Be warned - I'm in Ireland at the moment, after coming through Hong Kong and Paris - and at Paris, they wouldn't allow me duty free rates on my bottle of whiskey, so I had to pay the extra fiver because the guy at the counter told me they based your duty free entitlement on your destination, not your origin - and Paris to Dublin is a european short hop flight.
    Are you saying you tried to buy duty free at Paris? Or that they charged you duty in Paris on goods purchased in Hong Kong? On the former point I would consider that obvious. On the latter point I have heard arguments on that point before but as far as I am aware there is free movement of goods within the EU so there is no duty payable on transporting goods within the EU within the defined allowable limits.

Claasman wrote: »
    Just flew abu dhabi - syd - brisbane, and i had to collect my luggage at sydney and check it in again for the internal flight with quantas.
    Was it on the same ticket? They should have at least offered to check your bags through at Dublin although sometimes their knowledge is lacking. I flew from Dublin to Hong Kong with Singapore Airlines in July starting with an Aer Lingus leg to Hong Kong. I had two separate tickets and I had to insist that the 'lady' checking me in book my bags through. She got prissy because she didn't know it was possible before I told her.

I thought there might be more direct routes to Cairns from Dublin but it looks like you've done pretty alright. Your only other options would have been via Darwin which reduces the choice of connections considerably. That's a long trip with kids, I'd try break it up if possible if I were you. A layover in Abu Dhabi or even Sydney to regroup could be key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You can take fluids onto Domestic Flights in Australia according to this site Coming from Hong Kong to Brisbane in June they did an extra baggage check for fluids getting onto the flight. This was even for any fluids bought at Hong Kong Airport in transit. I was going to get myself some duty free at Brisbane Airport but anything of quality has become very expensive there now & is much more than I used to pay in London Airports with Duty included.

I too think taking water onto the flight is an over kill. I have flownn Etihad return DUB - BNE in 2008 and they went through the cabin regularly offering water & juices. This was the same for Qantas as well. Even if they are not coming through at the time you can hit the attention button & request a drink, or a snack, if you require.

No matter what it's a really long flight. It would be much better to have a stop over to break up the trip.

I flew from Singapore to Brisbane in July with 2 litres of Vodka with no problem.

ballooba wrote: »
    Singapore Airlines provide water regularly during the flight, I assume Etihad are similar. I think that might be a bit overkill on the bottled water.

I find the water on the plane to be flat and odd-tasting, and there's never enough of it. Etihad leave you to your own devices a lot on the plane during the 'sleeping' period. You can get up and get food and water if you want, but that can be a pain in the ass if you're flying alone and having to clamber over the sweetly snoozing person beside you.

When I fly long-haul, I suffer horribly with two things: bloat, and swollen ankles. So now I fly with two 750ml bottles of water and a packet of something like Deflatine or Windeze tablets. A combination of the two makes my flight a hell of a lot more comfortable and makes my recovery a lot shorter - it can take me three or four days to feel right after a double long-haul flight. Some day I vow to do it business class, and see if lying down helps me. :D
    Australia does not have the same crazy banality with regards to liquids that other jurisdictions possess. I don't believe there is any screening of liquids on domestic flights. There certainly wasn't when I brought two bottle of white from Brisbane to Mackay for Easter Weekend last year. Similarly there are no restrictions other than customs limits on bringing alcohol into Australia. I always pickup two litres of spirits when in Singapore. As for Abu Dhabi, I would be surprised if their Islamic doctrine overcame their commercial sensibilities with regard to the sale of duty free booze. I can confirm however that Australia does allow purchases of duty free goods on arrival, although for transferring flights I am not sure of the logistics surrounding this. Sydney airport duty free will be more than happy to help with any inquiries you might have.

Are you saying you tried to buy duty free at Paris? Or that they charged you duty in Paris on goods purchased in Hong Kong? On the former point I would consider that obvious. On the latter point I have heard arguments on that point before but as far as I am aware there is free movement of goods within the EU so there is no duty payable on transporting goods within the EU within the defined allowable limits.

Screening on internal flights - yes there is. I flew to Sydney from Melbourne about five weeks before coming to Ireland, and they had the big liquids bin before you go through security, and they ask you to have your bits and pieces in a wee plastic bag (though I'm not sure how strict they are on the 100ml upper limit - they don't seem to care much as long as they're in their own baggy).

Liquids bought in airport shopping is different - they're easy with you bringing those on internal flights from place to place.

When I flew to Ireland last year, I flew one connection, Melbourne to Heathrow via Singapore. I had no problem buying duty free in Singapore, but the folks at the duty free in Melbourne warned me against buying liquids there when my destination airport wasn't my final destination.

This time around, I asked the girl at Melbourne where the latest point I could buy whiskey was - wanted a bottle, didn't want to cart it across the world. She reiterated this fear of liquids through security - even though they load your purchases into a special plastic duty-free bag, and pop the receipt into that bag, and then seal that bag with a tamper-proof seal.

So hence I waited until Paris, went to buy my bottle of whiskey, but couldn't get the international duty-free price on the bottle e.g. E20, had to pay E25 for it, because the guy explained to me they don't care where you're flying FROM, they're just looking at where you're flying TO.

Melbourne's duty free staff also - last year and this year - recommended I don't buy anything until I return to my Melbourne arrivals shopping point, touting the same fear of me bringing liquids through international security points.

The upshot is the whole thing confused the bejesus out of me - and seems to have confused the bejesus out of the shop staff too. Unless they're just trying to fleece everyone...

Screening on internal flights - yes there is. I flew to Sydney from Melbourne about five weeks before coming to Ireland, and they had the big liquids bin before you go through security, and they ask you to have your bits and pieces in a wee plastic bag (though I'm not sure how strict they are on the 100ml upper limit - they don't seem to care much as long as they're in their own baggy).
    I've never seen that in an Australian airport for a domestic flight and I fly weekly. It's possible that your flight was from/to the international terminals?
    When I flew to Ireland last year, I flew one connection, Melbourne to Heathrow via Singapore. I had no problem buying duty free in Singapore, but the folks at the duty free in Melbourne warned me against buying liquids there when my destination airport wasn't my final destination.
    I had a similar spiel from the guy in Singapore on my way to Ireland in July. I insisted that there would be no problem bringing it through Heathrow and he asked me to sign my receipt indicating I was taking responsibility. I agreed and there was no problem in Heathrow.
    So hence I waited until Paris, went to buy my bottle of whiskey, but couldn't get the international duty-free price on the bottle e.g. E20, had to pay E25 for it, because the guy explained to me they don't care where you're flying FROM, they're just looking at where you're flying TO.
    That is correct, you were undertaking a domestic flight for customs purposes. Hence why you had no access to duty free and why for customs purposes you could bring whatever you liked within reason. It's the same as going to France with a van and stocking up on cheap booze, there's no duty free but there's no limits within the bounds of personal consumption. Free movement of goods within the union etc.

FYI, confirmation from Australian government regarding liquids/gels:
    Do the liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions apply to domestic air services?
    No. The liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions only apply to international flights. However, domestic passengers occasionally travel on an international aircraft while it's travelling within Australia (for example, on the Sydney–Melbourne leg of a Hong Kong–Sydney–Melbourne flight). In these circumstances, domestic passengers will board their aircraft at the international terminal, and will be subject to international restrictions.

If you are unsure whether your flight is domestic or international, please contact your airline
    http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/domestic/faq/airport_checks.aspx

• Advertisement

I've never seen that in an Australian airport for a domestic flight and I fly weekly. It's possible that your flight was from/to the international terminals?

I posted to this thread, I went out for lunch, and during lunch I shouted (at the Boardsie I was lunching with, incidentally) "Oh shit, it was an international connection, I remember now, I had to go through the international terminals!!" so yes, yes it was an international leg.

Hats off to you, good sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

I would strongly recommend going to your doc and getting some valium/ sleeping tablets, makes it so much less painful. If you don't want to go to the hassle of getting a prescription, night nurse which they sell over the counter in Ireland will help you sleep. Also you get over the jet lag a lot quicker if you don't drink on the flight. Also try to eat light food, avoid salty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Thanks to all for the replies.
    I would love to break the trip, but time does not allow. This routing gets me to Cairns the quickest. I could have gone via Asia, Brisbane and back to Cairns, but I would not arrive till much later, with long stopovers in some airports. Also, they Sydney-Cairns flight was only about EUR100 for 4 of us, if we did it as part of the 1 flight. If I waited a couple of days, it was a seperate flight, at about AUD600.
    I was also thinking more about the duty free on the way back - which is better value, Abu Dhabi or Sydney? Not that pushed on alcohol, mainly electronics etc.

Just a couple of points still need clarification.
    I booked with Trailfinders, but my Sydney-Cairns flight is listed as an EY flight with Qantas as the airline. I am assuming I can have checked my bags through to Cairns, but do I need to recover them in Sydney, bring them through customs, and then put them back on a belt to go to Cairns? (That is what I have done in the US previously). Or is it a full taking off, right out through to the terminal, switch terminals, normal checkin desks v's transfer desk?

Also can I just go to the Qantas transfer desk in Sydney, and use the free bus they provide to the domestic terminal? I know it is free if you arrive on a Qantas flight, and are transferring to another Qantas domestic flight. But not sure if you arrive in on Ethiad.

It looks from this link like you need to collect your bags and clear customs. There's nothing to suggest you can't use the Qantas seamless transfer though. If you were arriving in on a Qantas flight and transferring to Virgin then it might be a different story. Transferring solo would seem like a serious pain in the ass after that trip.
    http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/airport-guide-sydney-international-terminal1/global/en

Thanks to all for the replies.
    I was also thinking more about the duty free on the way back - which is better value, Abu Dhabi or Sydney? Not that pushed on alcohol, mainly electronics etc.

Just a couple of points still need clarification.
    I booked with Trailfinders, but my Sydney-Cairns flight is listed as an EY flight with Qantas as the airline. I am assuming I can have checked my bags through to Cairns, but do I need to recover them in Sydney, bring them through customs, and then put them back on a belt to go to Cairns? (That is what I have done in the US previously). Or is it a full taking off, right out through to the terminal, switch terminals, normal checkin desks v's transfer desk?

Also can I just go to the Qantas transfer desk in Sydney, and use the free bus they provide to the domestic terminal? I know it is free if you arrive on a Qantas flight, and are transferring to another Qantas domestic flight. But not sure if you arrive in on Ethiad.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has ever undertaken the above. Thanks for the links to official sites, but wondering how this works in reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

Hi all,
    I have a return family trip booked in November on the above route. Kids are 11 and 6, with wife also. Never been to Oz, or anywhere outside Europe/US before, so looking forward to it.
    Any advice/tips anyone can offer on the actual flight part? Any advice re transfers in Abu Dhabi (within T3)? Duty Free-best in Abu Dhabi v's Sydney?
    Flight times = Dub-Abu Dhabi = 7 hours 20 min, Abu-Dhabi-Sydney = 14 hours, Sydney-Cairns=3 hours.
    All feedback welcome!:)

Hey,

I took that rout coming over 2 weeks ago, Etihad are great, There is so much to do on the plane and the staff going well beyond the call to make sure you are happy.

The Abu-Dhabi to Sydney is a long flight, But its grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hey, i'm flying Dublin Abu dhabi, Abu Dhabi Sydney in a couple of weeks and I'm slightly comforted with the replies on this thread as I am travelling on my own.

Dont suppose anyone knows how accommodating etihad are when it comes up upgrades for solo travellers????? I'm thinking about chancing my arm and hoping for the best.....!!!:rolleyes:

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Hey, i'm flying Dublin Abu dhabi, Abu Dhabi Sydney in a couple of weeks and I'm slightly comforted with the replies on this thread as I am travelling on my own.

Dont suppose anyone knows how accommodating etihad are when it comes up upgrades for solo travellers????? I'm thinking about chancing my arm and hoping for the best.....!!!:rolleyes:
    I wouldn't count on it, but you could get lucky.

I'm giving Etihad a lash in December. They're usually more expensive than other options but came in between 15 and 20% cheaper this time around. It's a more direct flight so I'm looking forward to it! Plus with the new Virgin Blue linkup, there's the added bonus of re-qualifying for Virgin Blue Silver immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Is anyone able to confirm that they were able to take duty free liquids purchased at Dublin Airport on to the plane from Abu Dhabi to Sydney? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

daiixi wrote: »
    Is anyone able to confirm that they were able to take duty free liquids purchased at Dublin Airport on to the plane from Abu Dhabi to Sydney? Thanks!

No i've done the trip serveral times now and you can't bring duty free liquid you buy in Dublin Duty free to Sydney . As you would still be going through Abu Dhabi and you'd be above the premitted liquid limit allowed .

What you can do is buy the Liquids in Sydney Airport Duty free just before the passport control before . When you get off the airplane in Sydney you pass through Duty Free before you get to passport contorl. Best to buy all you liquids there .

Also remember when you stop at Abu Dhabi you have to take every thing off the plane with you . Same again when you stop in Singapore to refeul . It's a pain the more stuff you have with you .

Yes Etihad stop in Abu Dhabi and then in Singapore before you stop in Sydney so not all that direct . But you do spend less time on the airplane .

• Advertisement

Thanks Ozeire! Did not realise we'd be stopping in Singapore so thanks for the heads up on that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Hi all,

A warning to all flying with Etihad through Abu Dhabi. I had an awful experience last November when I travelled to Australia and I have since heard of it happening to a few more people. Basically flew from Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Singapore-Brisbane. Although the trip was long there were no problems. On the way back is when the nightmare happened. I was travelling alone from Brisbane flying the same route back. I booked with my local travel agent. On the way back there was 16 hours between flights and I was booked into a hotel near the airport for the night. However when I arrived in Abu Dhabi and went to the desk I was told quite abruptly that they had no record of my hotel reservation. It was very upsetting and I recieved little or no explanation or no solution offered. It was late at night and the sirport was not too busy but I had to spend 16 hours alone with no sleep and all my luggage (I did not check my bag straight through as I was staying over!). I had not slept on the trip yet as I was looking forward to the hotel bed! I was unable to get another hotel room or contact my travel agent because of the time difference. It was one of the most awful nights ever and I was one of the "lucky ones". There were at least 20 other people in the same situation and may of them had children! I gave one family a blanket I had taken from the flight to cover their small children. Nobody offered us as much as a glass of water and the staff were unbelievably rude! About three weeks later I knew a friend travelling home for xmas with 2 small children, she was travelling alone with the kids and the same thing happened to her! I have heard other stories since. So my advice is to go ahead and book your own hotel in advance and do not depend on them. I know you will have to pay for it but believe me it is worth it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

daiixi wrote: »
    Thanks Ozeire! Did not realise we'd be stopping in Singapore so thanks for the heads up on that also.

I flew here twice this year with Etihad, and there was no refueling in Singapore.

Found Etihad to be excellent by the way, food especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

kdevitt wrote: »
    I flew here twice this year with Etihad, and there was no refueling in Singapore.

Found Etihad to be excellent by the way, food especially.

If you have kdevitt you'd know better than me casue it was a while ago that i flew through Abu Dhabi. And i was on a budget flight so might stop in more places .

Thanks kdevitt! Fingers crossed you've the most up to date info. I'll let you all know whether there was a stopover or not after the flight :)

Dublin Chick - sounds like a bad experience. What did your travel agent have to say about it afterwards?

Hi all,
    Completed the flights now, so if you have any questions, let me know!
    Flights were very good, although 100% full on the Abu Dhabi-Sydney legs, both ways.
    Also, would fly them without hesitation.:)

I flew in with Etihad this week. We did stop in Singapore from Brisbane for forty minutes.

Pros:
    Noise cancelling headphones
    Welcome break up of journey with three roughly equal flights
    Short total duration

Cons:
    Food not as good as Singapore Airlines
    Cabin crew not as friendly as Singapore
    Seats seemed smaller
    Entertainment units seemed more buggy

Just a quick update.

Flew from Dublin to Sydney. Stopped for about 3 hours in Abu Dhabi then straight on to Sydney. We were warned at Dublin airport that we may not be able to take liquids through Abu Dhabi but we risked it with 2 x 1 litres for €20 in security bags and we had no issues. We found Abu Dhabi to be quite cheap with duty free too.
    On the way back I had a small, open bottle of bourbon in my carry on luggage which I didn't pull out at Abu Dhabi for the security screening and not an eyebrow was raised.

Etihad were good. The food was great and they were happy to serve more food/drink down at the galley during the trip. I do think that they could have provided more water during the flight however. On Qantas the stewards are constantly walking up and down the aisles offering water so you don't have to clamber over your sleeping seat mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mamof2

Hi all, I'm planning to make the same trip this May with a 4 and 6 year old. :eek: I was just wondering if any of you who have made the journey with kids have any useful tips. Should we bring a portable dvd player with us or is this too much hassle? Was the food in abu dhabi airport any good? Did you have to check your luggage in Sydney yourselves or was it checked through all the way?
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to be prepared well in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mamof2

Hi folks, we'll be making this trip in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any of you had any advice re the questions above. Any advice will be much appreciated. :D

Advertisement