Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Map of Europe - Touring

• 29-08-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a map that would give me a comprehensive lowdown on roads in Europe? Looking to go touring there for a few months, soon enough. Want it to cover all of Western Europe as far as Poland, will this mean having to get a few different maps or does anyone know of one single map that would suffice?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

A single map that covers that sort of area will never give you a comprehensive lowdown on roads. It may give you the motorways & main arteries, but if you want something that gives you the secondary or tertiary roads, you'll need regional maps.

Something like the Michelin Regional series (1cm=2km) are ideal for touring. I've just used the France series, but I'm pretty sure they do the same scale maps for most Western European countries.

Another possibility would be to get an atlas, the AA, Collins & others do these, though I'm not sure what scale they are & they can be a bit cumbersome. Great thing about the regional maps is that you can post them home as you move on to the next region.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

+1 on the regional maps, these are what I used in France.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I was using an AA road atlas in France. Shows every road but too heavy to bring about. I scanned the relevant pages and brought printouts to carry on the bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for replies guys. Figured I was hoping for a bit much to get such a comprehensive map of Europe. Will pick up a Michelin map of France before I go so and get maps for the other countries when I get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

you could download trekbuddy to your phone and then create maps using mobile atlas creator. not sure if it'll download on all phones. i've got it on a blackberry and its fairly good as it doesnt use the network to download the maps they're stored on the phone. if youve got gps on the phone it'll show your current location too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement