Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Module selection, help

Options
  • 29-08-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

As an erasmus student (cognitive science background) I got to choose any five courses, I somehow managed to narrow it down to a few. But from here on I can't really decide which to take, and what the differences are. Hope u can tell me something about any of them. Thanks A Lot, anyways.

Okay so here are the candidates:
    • Any of those three ( i had an analyis&algebra math course that covered functions of one variable)
      • Calculus of Several Varialbes ---
      • or --- Vector Integral & Differential Calculus---
      • or --- Mathematics for Enineers: Calculus of Several Variables
    • One of those
      • Partial Differential Equations --- or---
      • Mathematics for Engineers VI

• had neurobiology (mostly resting membrane potantial and action potantial generation) and sensory physiology (signalling cascades)) and am looking for some more general foundation
      • Cell Biology --- or---
      • The Molecules of Life
    • the other two would be either an English Course or Natural Programming, and Probability Theory (had Statistics for Psychologists, looking for a math course). I threw out Mathematical Biology, hope i won't regret that...
    Thanks again, hope anyone can help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If the Natural Programming course that you're talking about is Natural Computing, with Michael O'Neill, it's well worth taking. Very interesting subject with a really helpful lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

As an erasmus student (cognitive science background) I got to choose any five courses, I somehow managed to narrow it down to a few. But from here on I can't really decide which to take, and what the differences are. Hope u can tell me something about any of them. Thanks A Lot, anyways.

Okay so here are the candidates:
    • Any of those three ( i had an analyis&algebra math course that covered functions of one variable)
      • Calculus of Several Varialbes ---
      • or --- Vector Integral & Differential Calculus---
      • or --- Mathematics for Enineers: Calculus of Several Variables
    • One of those
      • Partial Differential Equations --- or---
      • Mathematics for Engineers VI

• had neurobiology (mostly resting membrane potantial and action potantial generation) and sensory physiology (signalling cascades)) and am looking for some more general foundation
      • Cell Biology --- or---
      • The Molecules of Life
    • the other two would be either an English Course or Natural Programming, and Probability Theory (had Statistics for Psychologists, looking for a math course). I threw out Mathematical Biology, hope i won't regret that...
    Thanks again, hope anyone can help...

In terms of the maths, are sure it's not as follows;

Choose one of the following;

- Mathematics for engineers: Calculus of Several Variables
    - Calculus or Several Variables
    - Multivariable Calculus and Application

and one of;

- Vector Space and Coding, or
    - Linear Models in the Sciences

Vector Integral and Differential calculus and Partial Difference Equations are both applied maths modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Schlafkatze

mhh if i understood it correctly i really can choose almost whatever course i like, so no restrictions. Multivariable Calculus and Application is only offered in semester two i think, so i can't take that one. (Looking for Semester one courses only)

So
    Vector Integral and Differential calculus and Partial Difference Equations are both applied maths modules.
    I am wondering does that mean a different style in lecturing?

Thank u very much for ur replies Killer Pigeon and rainbow kirby!smile.gif
    ( I did mean Natural Computing, sorry for that.... and i guess i really should take it then )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

mhh if i understood it correctly i really can choose almost whatever course i like, so no restrictions. Multivariable Calculus and Application is only offered in semester two i think, so i can't take that one. (Looking for Semester one courses only)

So
    I am wondering does that mean a different style in lecturing?

Thank u very much for ur replies Killer Pigeon and rainbow kirby!:)
    ( I did mean Natural Computing, sorry for that.... and i guess i really should take it then )

I'll be actually taking some of these modules this year so I couldn't tell you exactly what the style of teaching will be like this year for the applied maths modules. Applied maths is similar to physics in a way but with more of a maths element, I'm guessing 'Vector Differential and Integral Calculus' will have a physics element. Can't say too much about 'Partial Difference equations' as its a third year module. If you search the modules here you can get a module description.

Good Luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Schlafkatze

I'll be actually taking some of these modules this year

so see u there than :)
    If you search the modules here you can get a module description.

Good Luck. :)

Searched courses there right from the start, but description is quite similar... couldn't really work out the difference for me...
    but thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement