Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Jordison Tops Poll for Greatest Drummer of Last 25 years,WTF??

Options
  • 29-08-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Joey Jordison, who plays with masked metal band Slipknot, has topped a vote on the best drummers of the past 25 years.

Jordison beat off competition from Nirvana and Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Phil Collins to win the poll for UK magazine Rhythm.

The 35-year-old is strapped into his seat during live shows as he performs on a spinning stage which tips to a 90-degree angle.

He said he was "at a loss for words".

"This is beyond unbelievable. Something like this reminds me every day why I continue to do this," he added.

Second on the poll, which drew 100,000 votes, was Mike Portnoy of US prog-metal band Dream Theater and third spot was Gavin Harrison of Hemel Hempstead rockers Porcupine Tree.

Rush's Neil Peart came fourth in the vote with Foo Fighters' Grohl, a former member of seminal grunge band Nirvana and drummer for Them Crooked Vultures, rounding out the top five.

Former Genesis drummer Phil Collins made the top ten, coming in at number nine with around 0.3% of the vote.

Editor of Rhythm magazine Chris Barnes praised Jordison's "mind-blowing technicality and ability to bolster any project with his unique sound and style".

Source

Now I realise this is a bit of a bullspit poll but holy hell,100,000 people voted and this guy tops the list.Credit where its due,he is a decent drummer but the best in the last 25 years?Me bollix he is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

theres no legislating for people's stupidity it seems!

There have been way better drummers than Jordison. Either of the slayer drummers for a start, particularly Lombardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

when a high percentage of 100,000 voters are teenagers, are you really surprised?

a poll of 25-35 year old readers would yield very different results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

when a high percentage of 100,000 voters are teenagers, are you really surprised?

a poll of 25-35 year old readers would yield very different results.

Ya but Dream Theatre,Rush and Porcupine Tree make up the next 3 spots,not really bands I would associate with teenagers TBH,or maybe thats where the 25 to 35 year olds come in.Either way,I call shenanigans!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It's hard to take polls like this with anything else than a pinch of salt. To me the poll says he's the more popular drummer today.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

as big as a slipknot fan as i am i would so have voted neil peart as the greatest drummer in the last 25 years hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

he deserves the award for the most overrated drummer of the past 25 years to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Jordison is noted for simultaneously playing two bass drums

:pac:

Dave Grohl up there in 5th is a bit criminal also. Wonder where George Kollias and Jimmy Chamberlin featured. Good to see Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy getting in there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well Slipknot did have something on their Facebook page saying to vote for him, so that automatically rendered it a popularity contest. He shouldn't even have been on the list, let alone near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I wonder where Paul Bostaph was on that list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't Slipknot have a couple of percussionists beefing up the drum sound as well? How many other drummers have those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Ah here, Dave Grohl deserves to be the greatest drummer tbh. Joey's good and all, but Dave just has the edge to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Here's the Rhythm Magazne page with the poll:
    http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/greatest-drummer-of-the-last-25-years-the-results-are-in-270334

where is Dave Lombardo? wtf?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Good, not that good. Disgraceful that Peart was 4th, I blame children. Damn kids *mutters about generation gaps*

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

It's because nobody with any ACTUAL knowledge of what makes a good musician ever even hear about these polls because we're too busy either listening to, playing or practicing music. Look at the polls on best guitarists. Kirk Hammett won it one year. He should be banned from holding a guitar his solos are so bad. What of DiMeola, Eric Johnson, Antoine Dufour, Andy McKee, John Petrucci, Steve Vai? Hell even the cheesy Malmsteen weren't on the list. Polls will never be accurate because true musicians are never mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't Slipknot have a couple of percussionists beefing up the drum sound as well? How many other drummers have those?

Yes, they do, but people think its Joey doing all the work. I've said it many times, if he was the one doing all that bass-type work then he'd be great....but he doesn't, so he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

what a joke !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Joey Jordison :rolleyes:

Mr Ray Luzier is fast becoming my favourite drummer going today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4KLp4q-r4k

(Sorry, cant get the vid to embed on the page..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

this is absolute lunacy.

im a drummer myself and my favourite band is Slayer but love older slipknot stuff too.

where are dave lombardo, gene hoglan, pete sandoval, richard christy etc.?

joey is very good but these lads are way better! I dont like rush at all and i would have possibly placed neil peart at the top.

dave grohl is the rich tea biscuit of the drumming world! average stuff like! all ill say is that if lars ulrich got in there i wouldve freaked out!

dave lombardo is by far my favourite drummer and is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

dave grohl average? Do you play the drums at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'd like a bit more input from people on what makes one drummer better than another - is it all down to which band people like rather than a drummer's ability? What makes Lars Ulrich bad or makes Dan Lombardo good?

I always admired Dave Grohl. I haven't listened to Nirvana in a long time, but I always thought he made simple songs come alive with some crazy, real heavy drumming at times; know nothing about how technically good he is, but I always loved his fills, feel, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd like a bit more input from people on what makes one drummer better than another - is it all down to which band people like rather than a drummer's ability? What makes Lars Ulrich bad or makes Dan Lombardo good?

I always admired Dave Grohl. I haven't listened to Nirvana in a long time, but I always thought he made simple songs come alive with some crazy, real heavy drumming at times; know nothing about how technically good he is, but I always loved his fills, feel, etc

So many factors at play here i guess. A lot depends on what you want in a drummer. For example,Lars Ulrich is an average drummer imo,technically not great(he admits he's lazy and doesn't even practice any more) but his 'style' suits Metallica so he doesn't feel the need to excel in his field.

My favourite metal drummer is Dave Lombardo. I'm not a drummer myself(unless you include 2 pencils air-drumming on the coffee table) but i love his technical ability. Adds a whole new dimension to Slayers music. Everyone has their faves,sure even Animal from the muppets was savage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

A lot of old Metallica songs are very quick so I'd imagine that took a lot of technical ability in comparison to rock drummers That said I mostly listen to rock rather than metal so there isn't a lot of variety compared to metal from the 80's onwads. Compared to rock drummers, Ulrich seems technically great, but compared to other metal drummers he seems technically poor, so if we were to use technique as the only measure, non-metal drummers wouldn't be mentioned, mainly because overly technical drumming would sound bad in mid-tempo hard rock.

That said, Brian Downey and John Bonham were inventive rock drummers, although obviously they weren't active in the last 25 years. Its hard to think of any rock drummers who were particularly inventive in that period, apart from Neil Peart and Dave Grohl, so I suppose its normal that technically minded metal drummers would make up this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Some of Ulrich's early stuff, up to and including ...And Justice For All is fantastic and very innovative stuff considering that it was witten over 20 years ago. Even having a look at videos from that era, it's clear that he was a very proficient drummer. I've often stated that in that era he was very close to even Lombardo's standard of drumming. There's a few videos knocking him around of him playing double bass - which alot of people claim that he can't play very well - and my god, it was superb.

Where Lars went off the beat and track totally - and all this is total opinion - is around the Load/Reload era when he got really sloppy. I think this is around the time when the drug and alcohol abuse was at it's worst and that definately didn't help, but it was like he just didn't care anymore.

These days, well Lars is what he is. He does what he does properly and not much else. He definately has another gear if he started practicing more perhaps although i think he gets very tired during performances these days too and he is a lazy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

yes i do play drums as ive already stated.

I didnt say dave grohl was bad, but how is he more innovative/better than some of the other drummers ive listed? He's good at what he does, but he's not a standout performer by any stretch of the imagination.

Lars Ulrich is terrible. Hands down. The only album he impressed me with was justice, (he was fairly ridiculous in dyers eve..), but apart from that he's awful..

he was never close to lombardo. look up videos of Slayer live in and around the hell awaits reign in blood era (85/86), lombardo was untouchable!

john bonham was a class act and so was buddy rich, nicko mcbrain now, there is an innovative drummer! the way he plays the ride and the bass drum is pure class.

yupyup7up wrote: »
    yes i do play drums as ive already stated.

I didnt say dave grohl was bad, but how is he more innovative/better than some of the other drummers ive listed? He's good at what he does, but he's not a standout performer by any stretch of the imagination.

Lars Ulrich is terrible. Hands down. The only album he impressed me with was justice, (he was fairly ridiculous in dyers eve..), but apart from that he's awful..

he was never close to lombardo. look up videos of Slayer live in and around the hell awaits reign in blood era (85/86), lombardo was untouchable!

john bonham was a class act and so was buddy rich, nicko mcbrain now, there is an innovative drummer! the way he plays the ride and the bass drum is pure class.

I'm a big fan of both Slayer and Metallica and Lombardo is probably my favourite drummer ever so i'm not biased when i compared Ulrich to Lombardo. Ulrich's studio output was always better than his live output but certainly not terrible - not by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hey yo!

Can we make our own polls? Like we did with albums, do one with musicians?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Happy to see Gavin Harrison on the list, great drummer. Though I'd have Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey ahead of him. Lombardo is fantastic from what I've heard too, though I've never listened to much Slayer, great for Apocalyptica though :D

Never really saw particularly special about Grohl myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Could be worse, i rememebr a poll from some years back where peart was beaten into second place by Zac from Hanson.....:D:D:D

galwayrush wrote: »
    Could be worse, i rememebr a poll from some years back where peart was beaten into second place by Zac from Hanson.....:D:D:D
    Thanks for that, i literally LOLLLLED!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement