Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey Jordison Tops Poll for Greatest Drummer of Last 25 years,WTF??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

In my opinion what makes a good drummer is:

timing
    groove

and they must have adequate technique to achieve the above. now you notice i havent included speed. well thats because, even in the world of rock and metal speed does not a great drummer make. whats the point in being fast if thats all you got? it gets old real fast.

love or hate grohl, he cant be classed as average. he may not be innovative, but thats cos he's mostly stuck in a cesspool of MOR rock with the foos, with (albeit the great) taylor hwkins backing him up. but when he can stretch out on the skins dave is a brilliant rock drummer. he doesnt need to do blast beats, and even if he cant that doesnt make him bad. just listen to his qotsa no one knows drum track, its a thing of groove laden beauty.

credit where its due like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Former Genesis drummer Phil Collins made the top ten,.

/Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoindrummer

There is a man named Travis Orbin who deserves to be at the top of that list...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scPZS3zfKM&feature=related

Completely versatile, groovy and technical at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

again it's all subjective.

I notice folk here only really mentioning rock drummers as the "best ever". It all depends on what you are into. Some of the jazz stuff on youtube from Steve Gadd would p*ss all over joey jordinson and john bonham technique wise, but jazz drumming is a whole different area to rock drumming in many ways..
    I do thing Dave Grohl is a good drummer, in no way average. His drum parts in "no one knows" are pretty cool.
    Anyone think Vinnie Paul would be in there with the top rock/metal drummers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

looked at the top 50.. i dunno, mag's called Rythm? aren't they the experts.

one example i don't understand is casual mod drummer for the Paul Weller band aka laid-back era :o fella from The Jam ahead of him, easy. but not at 37 like that guy.. i guess speed drummers don't feature so much as they're looking mostly at a spacial awareness combined with distinctive style ahead of rigid uniform patterns n that which don't really stray away from the basic make-up of a kit.. or something - aren't Rythm readers the experts? bless em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

seachto7 wrote: »
    drummer, in no way average. His drum parts in "no one knows" are pretty cool.
    Anyone think Vinnie Paul would be in there with the top rock/metal drummers?

Yeah, i'd have Vinnie Paul up there definately. Grohl IMHO is a fantastic rock drummer, one of the best ever. Metal is a different beast though so i'm not going to comment on his overall "greatness" in the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

What a 5h1t poll. Typical kerrang viewers poll. My dad and brother play drums and they'll die when they see that poll in their monthly bible.

Chad smith and travis barker???? WTF?

Also......chris alder is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Happy to see Gavin Harrison on the list, great drummer. Though I'd have Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey ahead of him. Lombardo is fantastic from what I've heard too, though I've never listened to much Slayer, great for Apocalyptica though :D

Never really saw particularly special about Grohl myself.

Yes!! F*cking amazing drummer, easily my favourite.

Love Dream Theater but I think Portnoy's drumming lacks feel, he's too focused on being technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Terry Bozzio?
    Derek 'One Take' Roddy?
    Dave Lombardo?

Grr.

Also does anyone have a link or the morning Metro from a few days back. I remember glancing at one and this was mentioned. Had a chuckle when they were amazed how he could "play two bass drums" or something worded to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Where's the lad from that youtube people were banging on about last month?

Where's my mate John?

This poll is a farce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement