Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V Everton Match Thread

• 29-08-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

7325c8c5d2cf93184b7887be1f75eaf5.jpg

Usually plenty of goals when this fixture comes around. Both teams need a lift after bad starts to the season. This is the most played fixture in the English top flight by the way (useless fact for the day).

From BBC.co.uk
    Aston Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor should be fit despite being substituted with a tight calf in Thursday's Europa League defeat by Rapid Vienna.

Carlos Cuellar and James Collins are poised for their first league appearances of the season, while John Carew and Richard Dunne are available.

Everton captain Phil Neville is again doubtful with a foot injury, while Joseph Yobo has a thigh strain.

Yakubu could miss out through illness and a shin problem.

I can confirm that Neville hasn't travelled with the Everton squad. I don't think Moyes will give Coleman the green light though. Expect Young to tear Hibbert a new one today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Expecting this to be a low scoring affair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'll settle for a 0-1 with Tim Tim to do his usual corner flag abuse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That would be contrary to past meetings.

Everton XI: Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Fellaini, Rodwell, Beckford

Villa XI: Friedel, L Young, Warnock, Dunne, Downing, A Young, Ireland, Carew, Albrighton, Petrov, Collins.

• Advertisement

We're gonna lose 0-6 or win 5-4 with that line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ireland injured in the warm-up :(

Reo-Coker in as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I wonder how long Andy Gray will go before his stock "This is why the Premier League is so great" party line.

Though in saying that, Villa vs Everton has produced some really good games in recent memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus we're all over the place so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Im delighted for L.Young.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Jesus we're all over the place so far.
    Good place to be ;)

Pienaar unlucky there. Not our day :(

Villa are bloody awful

Why the hell is Petrov marking Cahill on corners, that does not make any sense.

No luck at all with us. :(

We have been by far the better side but I fear if we don't capitalise on our possession early second half we are going to lose this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Everton way better overall and bossing us in midfield but haven't had many proper chances. When we did attack we looked like we could get at them so hopefully we go out and get a second early in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Poor half overall but finished strong enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Everton 65% possession in the first half, 1-0 down. Typical enough early season form from us then.

But I'm confident we can score this half. However, unless we win, we'll be stuck in the bottom three over the international break.

Get gabby on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Never fear, Coleman is here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brilliant from Coleman, unlucky.

Painful to watch this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

How did Villa win that.:confused:

How the hell have everton not got at least point from that.

Also, Sergio Coleman for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Villa in 4th . . Still in crisis ? ?

Routine win for Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Richard Dunne and James Collins take a bow.

Up to 4th is it lol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

JPA wrote: »
    We're gonna lose 0-6 or win 5-4 with that line up.
    hmm, close.

Three games in and Spurs, Liverpool, City, Everton and Villa have already lost one game each. Reminds me of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Easy in the end for the Villa, Everton weren't going to score in a month of Sundays.

hmm, close.

Three games in and Spurs, Liverpool, City, Everton and Villa have already lost one game each. Reminds me of last season.

Ah it all changed when Ireland got injured.

Easy in the end for the Villa, Everton weren't going to score in a month of Sundays.
    3 games, 65% possession, 1 goal. We need a striker or 2

Easy it wasn't though. Villa were deplorable today and a team with a Torres, Rooney or even a Bent would have knocked another 6 past your lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I dont know what match you were watching...but that was not easy for villa. Freidal made some fantastic saves which kept us in it. A great defensive performance from Villa. It was not easy!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... sorry, Everton have lost 2 already. You can always count on them to start slowly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

considering pienaar hit the crossbar and friedel had to make some unbelievable saves, what game were you watching?

Like i said ladies Everton weren't going to score in a month of Sundays, no matter how many corners they won and all 2 of those "unbelievable" (LOL) saves Friedel made. Beckford & Saha in particular were on fire alright....

All in all a typical Villa win, happy days are here again for a while at least.

Like i said ladies Everton weren't going to score in a month of Sundays, no matter how many corners they won and all 2 of those "unbelievable" (LOL) saves Friedel made. Beckford & Saha in particular were on fire alright....

Hi.

You're off your rocker if you believe Villa deserved to win.

From a neutral.

Admittedly we were blunt but to only have 37% possession at home against any side does not suggest winning easily. There were plenty of quality deliveries into the box that Everton just didn't get a head or a foot on, it wasn't just attempts.

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Admittedly we were blunt but to only have 37% possession at home against any side does not suggest winning easily. There were plenty of quality deliveries into the box that Everton just didn't get a head or a foot on, it wasn't just attempts.

Indeed. Better teams then Everton will beat Villa with our lacklustre midfield thats for sure. But let's be honest here, with a past it Saha and useless Beckford leading the line for 'ton today they were never going to get past a half decent looking Villa backline today.
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Hi.

You're off your rocker if you believe Villa deserved to win.

From a neutral.

Hi.

You don't watch much of Villa if you think Villa haven't been winning games in this style for the past few years. Who 'deserves' to win games doesn't really come into it tbh.

From a Villa supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Shocking, shocking, shocking performance. Probably the worst I've seen Villa play in ages. The front line hustled, the defence threw their bodies on the line, but dear jesus christ we couldn't keep hold of the ball at all. We'd make a League 1 side look like Barcelona.

Anyone who thinks KMD should be Villa boss after this match should have a vasectomy. The future will be better for your offspring's absence.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The front line hustled, the defence threw their bodies on the line, but dear jesus christ we couldn't keep hold of the ball at all.

Sounds exactly like it has been for the past few years tbh.

Indeed. Better teams then Everton will beat Villa with our lacklustre midfield thats for sure. But let's be honest here, with a past it Saha and useless Beckford leading the line for 'ton today they were never going to get past a half decent looking Villa backline today.

Hi.

You don't watch much of Villa if you think Villa haven't been winning games in this style for the past few years. Who 'deserves' to win games doesn't really come into it tbh.

From a Villa supporter.
    Saha's been poor of late but looked very sharp today when he came on. Unlucky not to score. Beckford skinned Dunne in the first half and he had to sacrifice a booking to stop him going through on goal. By enlarge he was feeding off scraps but his work ethic is very good.

Calling the former 'past it' and the latter 'useless' is extremely claret and blue tinted.

I can't see how you can't accept Everton threatened for large periods today. We play one up front. Saha/Beckford were on the pitch alone so they weren't our only goalscoring threat. Pienaar, Rodwell and Fellaini all came close. Cahill was always sniffing about and Arteta's a danger from set pieces. True we're not finding the net at present but this game could have easily ended up with us scoring 3 or 4 and it wouldn't have flattered us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saha's been poor of late but looked very sharp today when he came on. Unlucky not to score. Beckford skinned Dunne in the first half and he had to sacrifice a booking to stop him going through on goal. By enlarge he was feeding off scraps but his work ethic is very good.

Calling the former 'past it' and the latter 'useless' is extremely claret and blue tinted.

I can't see how you can't accept Everton threatened for large periods today. We play one up front. Saha/Beckford were on the pitch alone so they weren't our only goalscoring threat. Pienaar, Rodwell and Fellaini all came close. Cahill was always sniffing about and Arteta's a danger from set pieces. True we're not finding the net at present but this game could have easily ended up with us scoring 3 or 4 and it wouldn't have flattered us.

Everton were the better team today but I think in terms of good chances it was about even. Villa could have had another 3 goals also from good attacks on the break.

matrim wrote: »
    Everton were the better team today but I think in terms of good chances it was about even. Villa could have had another 3 goals also from good attacks on the break.
    That's all Villa had to rely upon on the second half. The shots on goal stats don't tell the full story, rather the corners and possession stats. Even our pass succession ratio was 80%. We continue to overplay it in the final third without really testing the goalkeeper to a great extent but there were a few occassions, especially when Coleman came on that all we needed was somebody on the end of a cross and we would have been level. We'll play much worse than that and win 4-0 at some stage this season (Hopefully against United in our next game :pac:)

Yeah Beckford may have skinned Dunne but there was a Villa defender behind him anyway to mop up danger. I don't think Beckford is PL quality and i think Saha is too injury prone to rely on, fair enough they might prove me wrong this season but for now thats my opinion on them with or without my tinted spectacles :cool:.

Everton always dominate Villa in midfield with their 5 men, but for all the danger 'Tons players are supposed to have, they couldn't do it again today against a rudderless Villa with a leaky defence.

In otherwords Everton fail again to beat Villa in the league, it's been what 4/5 seasons since Moyes boys beat Villa in a PL fixture?.

Yeah Beckford may have skinned Dunne but there was a Villa defender behind him anyway to mop up danger. I don't think Beckford is PL quality and i think Saha is too injury prone to rely on, fair enough they might prove me wrong this season but for now thats my opinion on them with or without my tinted spectacles :cool:.

Everton always dominate Villa in midfield with their 5 men, but for all the danger 'Tons players are supposed to have, they couldn't do it again today against a rudderless Villa with a leaky defence.

In otherwords Everton fail again to beat Villa in the league, it's been what 4/5 seasons since Moyes boys beat Villa in a PL fixture?.
    - I have my doubts about Beckford too but in circumstances where we got him for free I see his signing to be one without risk. If he gets double figures this season he'll have been a success.
    -Saha on his day is still one of the most dangerous frontmen in the league and he showed that today. You's practically had two men on him for the time he was on the pitch and he still forced two world class saves from Friedel.

The game wasn't won or lost in midfield today. We made a sloppy mistake early on and had to chase the game as a result. We clearly have clicked in terms of how we're playing, we just can't finish at the moment. I have no doubt in my mind though that if we keep playing well then the results will come. I just hope it wont be too much longer though as the thought of playing catch up again doesn't bode well.

Essentially yes we have failed to beat you in the league again. Definition of a bogey team really. We always seem to throw it away against Villa, except for in the cup a couple of seasons back but today we could and should have won comfortably, last season we scored a last minute OG to gift ye a point, the season before last we were 3-1 up and we still threw it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sometimes, you just have to win ugly.

From the bits I've seen it looked harsh on Everton, but we so badly needed them points today, so I'll take 'em any way they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Great performance by Everton today, really liked seeing Moyes playing Rodwell and Coleman instead of the Championship players like Osman and Neville, both Rodwell and Coleman need to be in first eleven more often ffs. Villa were there for the taking 3 points dropped :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement