Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double dose of Doctor Who planned

Options
  • 29-08-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

There will be a double dose of Doctor Who for the timelord's fans next year.

Two separate series of his adventures will be shown with the show's producer Steven Moffat promising an "earth-shattering" cliffhanger half way through.

Seven episodes will be shown in Easter followed by six episodes in Autumn.

Moffat said the doctor, played by Matt Smith, and his sidekick Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan, will face a "game-changing" moment in the new series.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Link?

If it's from the Sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Link?

If it's from the Sun...

No it is on the BBC Press office websites! its confirmed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://io9.com/5624739/the-next-season-of-doctor-who-will-be-split-into-two-parts

based on:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/29/doctor-who-cliffhanger-series-split

Here's it in more detail - at first I was a bit worried, season breaks don't exactly seem like a good idea (and Dr. Who has a bad past with them), but it sounds like there's a concrete arc being planned here. No doubt revolving around this "Silence" that was hinted at.

The question of budget came up too I noticed; nothing about whether they're working with more than last season, but it seems to suggest they will. Thank god - season 5 was brill but really cheap in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Hm, interesting. On the one hand I will miss my 13 weeks of Doctor Who, but on the other hand as Moffat said at least the break between seasons will be shorter. I think this is a good thing, ask me again in a few months :p
    pixelburp wrote: »
    The question of budget came up too I noticed; nothing about whether they're working with more than last season, but it seems to suggest they will. Thank god - season 5 was brill but really cheap in places.
    True but on the plus side it showcased that you don't need blockbuster SFX to make a sci-fi show work, much like Children of Earth

That being said I still can't forgive the water and clouds in Vampires Of Venice :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Hm, interesting. On the one hand I will miss my 13 weeks of Doctor Who, but on the other hand as Moffat said at least the break between seasons will be shorter. I think this is a good thing, ask me again in a few months :p
    Well I think there has always been a slump in the ratings across (what is for British TV) a long 13 episode season starting in Spring. Doubly so if there's a decent summer, weather-wise. I guess the thinking is that avoiding Summer and keeping things bite-size maintains the audience.
    DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    True but on the plus side it showcased that you don't need blockbuster SFX to make a sci-fi show work, much like Children of Earth

That being said I still can't forgive the water and clouds in Vampires Of Venice :/

Oh god yeah that was bad; although I particularly despaired when a door of a washing-machine was used as a service hatch during Time of the Angels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Feck, I thought this was going to be two 13-episode series :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stark wrote: »
    Feck, I thought this was going to be two 13-episode series :(
    Yeah I know. Thread title should have been "Season 6/32 to be split in half".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmm. The cynic in me says that this is more to looking at how the sci-fi model works in the US and trying to emulate that (needlessly). Depending on the dates (obviously) the autumn series would coincide with new series launching stateside, which would be putting The Doctor head to head with these shows both here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

While I sort of like the idea of a mid-season cliffhanger, I dislike the implication that attention spans are so short that they have to split a series that is already not that long (at least compared to US series') into even smaller pieces.

Advertisement