Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viva question about references.

Options
  • 29-08-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Quick question/query guys. My viva is due in the next few months (no exact date yet). I am reading back through my document and am finding a few minor spelling and grammar mistakes. No big deal as I can address them before the viva. However I have found a few references in the text but not in the bibliography and a few with wrong publication dates. There are 270 references in it at the moment and more once I sort the problems. Is this a big deal? I read over it loads of times, spent ages sorting out problems in Endnote (yes I know I should have done it in LaTex) but obviously some got past me. Some referencing errors were my fault but I some are Endnote acting the boll*x at times. I have heard my external is thorough but fair so I am hoping it wont be too big an issue. Anyone have a similar experience regarding referencing errors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Hi there - the best thing to do in the viva is have your own copy of your thesis with you with handwritten notes in it - that way if your examiner mentions something you can show you've already noticed and have corrected it.
    I did that, not with references particularly but with errors in the text. I do remember my guy questioning the reliability of a particular source - all it meant was that I had to find the same piece of information referenced elsewhere, he didn't seem to feel it was a big deal.
    And don't be afraid to blame your referencing software and say you only noticed after sending it off! Thorough but fair is a great reference for an external examiner - there will always be typos and mistakes in such a big piece of work - that's why you get to make corrections after the viva.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Cheers, just what I thought. Going through it now, painstaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Oh I bet it is! I used Reference Manager (don't know if it still exists?!) and although I have to say it didn't screw me over at any stage, referencing was still the most painful bit of the whole thing.

Hang on in there, you're in a really good place now, just the last little hurdle to go :)

Advertisement