Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MARGINAL speeding on M50 in company vechicle.

Options
  • 29-08-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Someone driving my van, noticed a gatso going southbound on the M50, at western parkway the other night.

Says he was doing about 75mph. I think that section is 100 kph.

So reckon he was doing about 125 - 130, overtaking in the middle lane.

It was about half ten at night so the road was very quiet.

Anyone any experience of the gatso van and what leeway they allow on the M50, or are they aiming for everyone possible?

As the van is registered and insured to a company, if the driver leaves, or denies accountability, where do I stand as the company director.

Anyone any EXPERIENCE of this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If you recieve a FPN in the post, you are obliged to nominate a driver and his/her details to the Gardai.

You just fill out his/her details on the back of the FPN, and then send it back to the Gardai who then reissue the fine in his/her name.

75mph is around 120kmph so i'd say there's a fine on the way. Although you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

125-130km/h in a 100 is hardly marginal, if the camera was operational then they were likely caught. Did the driver see the flash? AFAIK the ticket, if there is one, comes to the company. You then fill out the section informing them of who was driving, and a ticket will then be issued to that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Anan1 wrote: »
    125-130km/h in a 100 is hardly marginal, if the camera was operational then they were likely caught. Did the driver see the flash? AFAIK the ticket, if there is one, comes to the company. You then fill out the section informing them of who was driving, and a ticket will then be issued to that person.

Agree with the point of marginal - just my idea of proper motorway speeds - the way it should be, not the way it is.

It was a white van and definately no flash. It was after dark so it would have been noticed. The van was overtaking at that point, do you get an allowance for that?

I know 75 is not a lot on the M50, not when you regularly get overtaken by 100+, and the ejits have designated that section 100 kph, but are the guards using "the law" or kop-on.

I have been told you are allowed 10% +5, then you get done, so it still could be marginal.....

Agree with the point of marginal - just my idea of proper motorway speeds - the way it should be, not the way it is.

It was a white van and definately no flash. It was after dark so it would have been noticed. The van was overtaking at that point, do you get an allowance for that?

I know 75 is not a lot on the M50, not when you regularly get overtaken by 100+, and the ejits have designated that section 100 kph, but are the guards using "the law" or kop-on.

I have been told you are allowed 10% +5, then you get done, so it still could be marginal.....
    I think no flash at night = no ticket. There's no allowance for overtaking (it is, after all, a 6 lane motorway), but I would have thought up to an indicated 115ish would be fine. It's all guesswork really though, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Was this the van southbound between Ballymount and Tallaght last night?

Just a white Transit with a tiny AGS symbol and tiny camera symbol on the side, had to look hard as I passed to make sure it wasn't a works van.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

chances are that if he was doing an indicated 120km/h or 75 mph then his true speed was probably 110 km/h, which should be just about ok.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Was this the van southbound between Ballymount and Tallaght last night?

Just a white Transit with a tiny AGS symbol and tiny camera symbol on the side, had to look hard as I passed to make sure it wasn't a works van.
    Saw it myself last night too, slowed a little late for it but it didn't flash.

I was doing 108km/h(according to GPS) and it didn't flash - not that I expected it to at that speed!

Location was a bit of a joke late on a saturday night though.

So what speed do you think you were doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

As the van is registered and insured to a company, if the driver leaves, or denies accountability, where do I stand as the company director.
    Have you considered potential liability under the Health and Safety at Work Act? (e.g. in France, truck driver involved in fatal accident, speeding due to company deadline, prosecution for corparate manslaughter.)

• Advertisement

Have you considered potential liability under the Health and Safety at Work Act? (e.g. in France, truck driver involved in fatal accident, speeding due to company deadline, prosecution for corparate manslaughter.)

What are you talking about ??????

What has that got to do with me getting a speeding ticket for someone else. ?

What deadline? what manslaughter?

Er hello ? Am I missing something here?

What are you talking about ??????
    He's a company director and he asked about potential liability for the use of company equipment (a van) at an illegal speed. Even if the driver is responsiible for his own speeding ticket, the employer could be held to be in breach H&S regulations. There are precedents for this in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

He's a company director and he asked about potential liability for the use of company equipment (a van) at an illegal speed. Even if the driver is responsiible for his own speeding ticket, the employer could be held to be in breach H&S regulations. There are precedents for this in France.

You know this is Ireland right, not France?

So what speed do you think you were doing?
    140 indicated before I saw it, slowing to an indicated 110km/h. I couldn't say what speed it would have clocked me at were it functioning - I did see it a bit on the late side, but I was still a few hundred metres away.

140 indicated before I saw it, slowing to an indicated 110km/h. I couldn't say what speed it would have clocked me at were it functioning - I did see it a bit on the late side, but I was still a few hundred metres away.

Mmmmmm interesting, lets wait and see then. We could both be getting a letter in the post.

How long does it take to get a letter from France? :rolleyes:

Mmmmmm interesting, lets wait and see then. We could both be getting a letter in the post.

How long does it take to get a letter from France? :rolleyes:
    I'm pretty confident that no flash = no ticket.:)

Mmmmmm interesting, lets wait and see then. We could both be getting a letter in the post. How long does it take to get a letter from France? :rolleyes:
    25% over the limit is not 'marginal' by any reasonable measure. As for the H&S issues, I see you take them as seriously as you do the posted speed limits.

Was the vehicle been driven for social or business reasons?

But, yes , this is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Gatso vans don't flash!

25% over the limit is not 'marginal' by any reasonable measure. As for the H&S issues, I see you take them as seriously as you do the posted speed limits.

Was the vehicle been driven for social or business reasons?

But, yes , this is Ireland.

Yes it is Ireland and a lot of the sillier laws get the respect they deserve, which is not much, but that's for another forum....

The van was off duty but was out at 4am so he took it with him for the early start. That should satisfy Gormless Gormley

testicle wrote: »
    Gatso vans don't flash!
    Are you sure? I'd have thought it would be hard to impossible to get a pic of a number plate at night, at speed, and into headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you sure? I'd have thought it would be hard to impossible to get a pic of a number plate at night, at speed, and into headlights.

AFAIK they have IR cameras. It would be a bit dangerous to be taking flash photos of the front of vehicles at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If this is true and some idiot on a Dublin Bike breaks a red and hits me can I sue Dublin City Council for providing the vehicle?

Del2005 wrote: »
    If this is true and some idiot on a Dublin Bike breaks a red and hits me can I sue Dublin City Council for providing the vehicle?
    No, because every light is a green light for a cyclist!

Del2005 wrote: »
    I agree that many of the riders on Dublin Bikes ride like idiots.

To hire a dublin bike, you first have to first agree to full liability. And the hirer is not employed by the City Council. An employee driving a company vehicle is a different matter.

Advertisement