Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever being affected by suicide?

• 29-08-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Have you ever being affected by suicide?
    Yes by a close friend and I just can't believe he did it!

Have you ever being affected by suicie? 239 votes

Yes, close member of family!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, Friend!
    22% 53 votes
    Yes, Somebody not close!
    35% 85 votes
    No!
    42% 101 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Once, when I was about to finish a sente

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Who's suicie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Two of the friends who I grew up with killed themselves within 10 days of each other.

It's a pretty hard one to get your head around, OP, but if you've ever suffered from long term depression you might get close to understanding why somebody would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

amacachi wrote: »
    Who's suicie?

Suicide with the D mistakenly omitted.

OP: it's happened twice: a friend and a (close extended) family member.

You just have to try convince yourself that it was what they really wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Yes,there's a family in a near by village who were largely affected by it,I don't think I should say much in case someone close to them is reading but I'll just say that that family has seen so much of it I honestly don't know how they cope.
    The whole community was in shock for weeks.

I think most of the people around here, including me were affected because we all knew them quite well.

Leitrim has the highest male suicide rate doesn't it?I think it used to anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I presume you mean suicide.

Yep-a few times. Poll's not multiple choice, and i could vote for everything bar no.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Leitrim has the highest male suicide rate doesn't it?I think it used to anyway.

According to stats posted before it had a zero rate a few years, the rate is too hard to measure with different judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Happened to an extended family member, he had a grand upbringing but his life at the time was not going well and he found the way out I suppose. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Ive just learnt what OP means:)
    And yes unfortunately there is a higher rate in males that females.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Have you ever being affected by suicie?
    Yes, close member of family!
    Yes, Friend!
    Yes, Somebody not close!
    No!

Anybody else think the exclamation marks are a bit unnecessary ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Yes, my best friend hung himself 3 years ago:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yes, many times in the extended family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No - thank God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Myself and suicie being very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Relative was finding life to difficult to deal with. No hints at all that they were having problems. Left the note and it was heart-breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep. A few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 noura

I dont know why some people do that!!!!

even you hate your life , be sure that there is a lot of your friends or at least one who love you and want to see you around his/her live..

please don't do that. that just time and it will be gone

the life is sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Yes I have been affected by it and its horrible.

Not sure of the point of setting up a thread about suicide in After Hours??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Relative was finding life to difficult to deal with. No hints at all that they were having problems. Left the note and it was heart-breaking.

With my friend, he had been depressed for a long time.. We even went for our last pint together and at the back of my mind i knew i wouldn't see him again even though no words about it were spoken. It was all very relaxed talking and laughing about the good times. He had it in his head for a long time and no one and nothing was going to stop him..

He didn't leave a note as such but left stuff around my apartment so i would find it after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yes I have been affected by it and its horrible.

Not sure of the point of setting up a thread about suicide in After Hours??

Because sweeping it under the carpet and never discussing it is why it's so prevalent in Ireland. :mad:

Myself, no, never affected thank god.

• Advertisement

noura wrote: »

even you hate your life , be sure that there is a lot of your friends or at least one who love you and want to see you around his/her live..

the life is sweet

Hopefully you'll never find out what goes through someone's head when they do it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

about 10 people i went to school with or knew from being out and about have committed suicide most within 4 years of each other:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My brother in law on his 53 birthday.

And various friends, including being one of the first to witness the aftermath of the suicide of a work mate (he shot himself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Elessar wrote: »
    Because sweeping it under the carpet and never discussing it is why it's so prevalent in Ireland. :mad:

Myself, no, never affected thank god.

By all means discuss it. I just dont think After Hours is the best place for a serious conversation about something like this. Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Yes, a neighbour I knew quite well, two doors down from my house, and my next door neighbour a few years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yes, in my extended family, a couple of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I know many people who committed suicide, I didn't talk to most of them but I knew who they were.

It's a silent scandal that more people die from suicide in Ireland each year than on the roads. I always get the impression that mental illness is an extremely taboo subject here, especially in rural areas. This "sweeping it under the carpet" attitude has cost us dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

By all means discuss it. I just dont think After Hours is the best place for a serious conversation about something like this. Just my opinion

After Hours has many serious topics discussed regularly in it, and you don't see people saying they shouldn't be discussed here.

Why should this topic be any different? If it was moved to a quieter forum there wouldn't be much of a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know a few people who have taken their own lives.. was never too close to any of them but it has always struck a chord with me whenever I hear about it happening. Everyone one of us is capable of being put into a situation where it seems like the only option, and it's not something that should be made light of in any circumstance. Just last week a 21 year old girl hung herself on a clothes-line and was found by her mam that afternoon

I hope nobody mentions natural selection either, because most of the cases I've personally been aware of the people have already got young families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

A good friend of mine hung himself 5 years ago, and i still find it hard to deal with sometimes. I used to think it was a selfish thing to do, but when that happened it shows it in a different light to the pressure some people are under unfortunately.

All i can say is no matter how bad it is, it can always be worse, so if people find themselves contemplating such actions please seek help, nothing in this world is worth taking your own life over, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Yes Someone I didn't know committed suicide in front of me and others in a public place
    It had an awful effect on me and it stayed with me for years
    I will never ever forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Anybody else think the exclamation marks are a bit unnecessary ?

The space before your question mark is unnecessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Yup. A friend from school. We found out in school. I can still remember the day perfectly, it still gives me chills. The princiapl came into the classroom and broke down in tears telling us. The class just sat in silence for a few minutes until a girl suddenly started sobbing and ran out the door. My entire year was gathered together and everybody just cried silently, barely anyone talked. I just kept thinking how he seemed to have such a good life, he had so many wonderful friends whom he ws very close too, an amazing girlfriend and he really smart and a beautiful singer! The worst day of my entire life. I wasn't that close to him but his death affected me in a major way and there hasn't been a day since that I haven't thought about him. Suicide is a horrible, selfish thing and this country defintely needs more awareness and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've never been affected by a successful attempt, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Suicide is a horrible, selfish thing and this country defintely needs more awareness and support.

If that's how you think then you really should stop before making such stupid statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

2 years ago almost, a guy who was in 6th year in my school killed himself. I didn't know him at all, only to see. The atmosphere in the school was so sad. It was really shocking, he didn't seem like the type of person who would even consider suicide. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes, a lad two years above me (a good few years ago). Most tragic story I've heard of was of the two boys in Westport who both committed suicide in the same day on school grounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My cousin took her own life, on mothers day, 9 years ago. I didn't know her that well but it hit me big time and there hasn't been a day since that I haven't thought about her. She was only 21 ffs, how bad can life be at 21 that you think this is the only way out?!

Her poor mother found her and called an ambulance but it was already way too late. The ripples of devastation it caused were unreal, even now I don't think her family has really recovered from her death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I should be shocked by the poll (65% have known someone whos committed suicide) but im not. Our mental health service is atrocious even if you have health insurance.This country is rife with people pretending "its all grand" and smothering in alcohol and drug abuse with no proper help. Awful!

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    If that's how you think then you really should stop before making such stupid statements.

It's not a stupid statement. In my opinion it's definitely a selfish act. From my own personal experience, seeing and living with the pain it causes friends and family, it's just horrible. It's something that we will never get over.

A few years ago I suffered from depression and was, for a brief period, suicidal. It didn't cross my mind how it would affect any of the people I love I just wanted out. Luckily I managed to get help before doing anything stupid and after experiencing firsthand the pain of losing someone to suicide, I would never contemplate again.

So yes it's definitely selfish in my eyes. I'm not saying that people who are suicidal or have taken their own life are selfish pricks or anything, I know they felt like there was no escape and that it was their only choice but I know if my friend had seen the devastation caused by his death he would never, ever have done it.

So by no means is it a stupid statement, it is my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Yes, just recently; close friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So yes it's definitely selfish in my eyes.

You are entitled to your views of course.

Just on that though, people in that situation can do feel they've failed and let everyone down and people they know would be better off without them.

Being selfish is the last thing on their mind

You are entitled to your views of course.

Just on that though, people in that situation can do feel they've failed and let everyone down and people they know would be better off without them.

Being selfish is the last thing on their mind

Yes I know and I wouldn't ever condemn someone for feeling like that! My point was that people don't realise the pain and heartbreak it causes to those left behind and if they knew then they probably would never consider taking their own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

My point was that people don't realise the pain and heartbreak it causes to those left behind and if they knew then they probably would never consider taking their own life.

Indeed, and I would say in fact that a large percentage even feel that the people they leave behind would be better off without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

suzy idol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

No thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    No thank god.

God?.. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Fart wrote: »
    God?.. lol.

Figure of speech, I'm an atheist! Would 'thank nothing' have been more appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

noura wrote: »

the life is sweet
    I'm sorry to be harsh but that displays a major lack of understanding - it's not just a case of hating your life and the bad feelings will pass with time. That's stuff most people go through at some point and they don't even contemplate suicide. To want to end your life: Jesus, the nightmarish despair the poor person must be going through...
    That said, I don't know whether there's anything wrong with sensitively telling a suicidal person the pain they will cause if they leave, and focusing on the things they have to live for, and there should be so much more emphasis on how there is help out there, no need to go it alone... even if the above proves fruitless in the end.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Indeed, and I would say in fact that a large percentage even feel that the people they leave behind would be better off without them.
    My parents' friends' son killed himself a few months ago and put those very chilling words "You'd be better off without me" on his note. He was going through some really awful stuff which was affecting his family all right and he didn't want to burden them any more. If he could only have known they'd have put up with 100 times worse if it meant having him still here... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement