Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever being affected by suicide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

yeah, and it still hurts to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

It is selfish.
    But I think a young person may not be mature enough to truly realize how wrong they are in thinking people would be better off without them.

Ultimately you can't blame them though, whatever has made them so miserable can obviously affect judgement.

The thing I don't understand is when parents commit suicide. When a young child or teenager needs them so much..... How could they not see the selfishness in their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

No. The closest anybody who committed suicide was to me was a girl in our year in school that I didn't know personally. It was fairly clear how affected some people were and I wouldn't wish anything of the sort on anybody.

I'd be terrified if somebody close to me was visibly suicidal as I really don't think I'd be able to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

No, thankfully I've never been affected by suicide.
    Yes I know and I wouldn't ever condemn someone for feeling like that! My point was that people don't realise the pain and heartbreak it causes to those left behind and if they knew then they probably would never consider taking their own life.
    In fairness, and this is probably a controversial opinion at best, I think the amount of emotional pain that people can go through, which may lead to suicidal feelings, can amount to a form of torture (maybe not the best word, as it's not always inflicted by others).
    I don't think it's right to label a persons inability to endure certain forms of (sometimes extreme) torture as selfish.

Don't mistake that as an attempted rationalization of anything though; most cases of suicide I would believe are preventable, if the person is given the right help.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    I should be shocked by the poll (65% have known someone whos committed suicide) but im not. Our mental health service is atrocious even if you have health insurance.This country is rife with people pretending "its all grand" and smothering in alcohol and drug abuse with no proper help. Awful!
    Yes agreed, we must have one of the worst mental health services in the western world; if people are having serious problems with mental health, they're (imo) better off looking for a private mental health practice, rather than visiting their GP.

Have heard a lot of stories about people being referred on to entirely useless counsellors/psychiatrists through their GP (one of which advocated treatment through god/christianity), being discouraged as result, and not bothering with any others again thereafter; which is a real shame, as people who need help can get it if they keep looking and/or go private.

This country has a very long way to go with regards to improving awareness of mental illness, and with mental health services; I think any significant improvements in the latter may take a decade or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ive known a few, one was my best friend. he shot himself 10 years ago when he was 16. Still have no idea why, he was (seemed) perfectly happy.
    Another guy in my class in school did it later that year, i didnt know him very well though.
    And another guy from my home village too, hanged himself on St. Stephen's Day about 6 years ago.

Its a horrible thing to go though, but one can only imagine what the victims went though before they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Yes!
    It was one of my best friends. I knew that there was something wrong and I told him if you ever want to talk you can talk to me. I feel so guilty that I didn't do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

yes i have. A friend of mine killed himself in America about 3 years ago. Still haunts me.

Suicide is one of those problems that most people would rather not think about until it happens close to them.

About 5 years ago my parents friends son who was 13 killed himself in his parents barn. He was worried about starting secondary school. The whole community was in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

So by no means is it a stupid statement, it is my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to share.

So you have a complete understanding on how someone thinks when they feel suicide is the only way out. Rational thought is long gone out the window at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭quietone

Yes, my brother 4 months ago and i found him. He always said he wouldnt grow old and he proved us right!!. Still cant get my head around it. I know he's gone but sometimes id be sitting at home waitin on him to walk in. The way i have to look at it is that he's now at peace. He wasnt happy here. I just take one day at a time, sometimes 1 hour at a time. As for that saying "Time is a great healer", well i def dont think that works as i miss him more and more each day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

At least 5 fellas I can think of have committed suicide back in my home town over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

From the point of view of the individual who has lost someone to suicide, there really is no worse feeling that you can have in life than the feeling that you failed a dear friend who commited suicide. That your friend was afraid to "burden" you because they feared that you wouldn't understand or react insensitively.

I know someone who never said a word to anyone about what he was going through. That to know him, you wouldn't have thought for a second that he was struggling with life. The bloke literally had everything to live for as well (and I mean that, I'm not being wisheywashy here). Then one morning he just ended it all. He didn't even leave a note to explain why he was doing it. He just did it, and no-one knows why, and never will.

All of those who were close to him will never get past that, that feeling that they failed a loved one, and they will never get some kind of closure because they don't have a clue why he did it. Not a breeze.

I would never dream to accuse someone, who has so much pain in their life that they are driven to end it, of selfishness. God, as Dudess said, you can't begin to comprehend the nightmarish despair someone must be going through to end their life.

But I think we all need to learn from this awful epidemic that affects so many people. Particularly when it comes to young men and why they feel they can't talk about what they are going through with a close friend or family member. I mean it's an indictment on all of us and society as a whole when a close loved one would rather throw themselves off the top of a building than just sit down and admit to another male that they are struggling. It's just incredibly, incredibly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Yes, and it was a tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yup, close family member last year, was only 15 as well.

It was a shock to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Never known anyone to kill themselves.

Hopefully no one I know or will come to know will take this route without very good reason! (by good reason I mean something like terminal cancer or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    So you have a complete understanding on how someone thinks when they feel suicide is the only way out. Rational thought is long gone out the window at that stage.

I wouldn't say complete understanding but I definitey have some understanding. Again, I will repeat myself in saying that I would never condemn someone for feeling like commiting suicide is there only. I'm saying that if they understood the devastation there death caused, they probably wouldn't do it.

When I remember my friend my first thought isn't "Oh what a selfish bastard", but sometimes I do get angry. I saw so many people blame themselves after his death and that is something that will hang over them the rest of their live. Questions like "Why didn't I see the signs?", "What if I had called over to him that night?" will haunt them. There will never be closure for us as we will never find out why he did it.

At the end of the day, it is a choice and could be prevented. Obviously for a lot of people it doesn't feel like they have a choice and it's the only option for them. I know that is how my friend must have felt, but I wish that he had tried to talk to someone no matter how hard it was or no matter how pointless it would have seemed to him. Despite what he was feeling at the time, he had many things to live for and so many people in his life that loved him.

So yes I think it is a selfish act. It causes a lifetimes worth of pain to so many people and could, in most cases be prevented. It is tragic and my heart breaks for people who feel like there is no other option to end their life. But most of them don't realise that by ending their pain and suffering, they are inadvertently causing an infinite amount of pain to those they leave behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In my opinion, calling it selfish is selfish in and of itself as it displays such a lack of understanding and thought and empathy in relation to the pain the person was going through - it doesn't take their feelings/experiences into consideration. I can understand anger and lashing out though, but to see it in terms as simple as "It's selfish to do that to the people left behind" doesn't seem fair.
    It is an awful thing to do to a family, but not necessarily selfish in intent, and borne out of such horrific suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have never known anyone who has committed suicide, but have I been affected by it? Yes. Tbph, I've attempted it. Do I think suicide is selfish? No, I don't. I really don't. If people who have killed themselves felt anything like I did, I imagine they figured that no one would really be too bothered by their death. In fact, I was convinced that I was just a huge burden on everyone and I genuinely thought that if I wasn't around, everyone would be happier and have an easier life.

When you feel so badly that ending your life seems like a viable solution, or the only solution, it is close to impossible to see positivity anywhere. In the depths of depression, your mind simply twists each and every scenario into a negative one.

Calling anyone selfish for committing suicide does demonstrate a huge lack of understanding, imo. It's hardly surprising that so many people feel that they can't talk about feeling suicidal etc.

Novella wrote: »
    Calling anyone selfish for committing suicide does demonstrate a huge lack of understanding, imo.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. You cannot understand someones decision to commit suicide if you haven't experienced the causes that make somone choose that option.

Having said that I don't think it is always black and white. No doubt sometimes it is a selfish decision but not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I've known a few, not close friends. Horrible aftermath.

I feel its more a selfless act than anything.

These poor souls feel they are a burden on others and want to take that burden away. How is that selfish?

If you think about it, it takes some serious balls to do it.

I'm not saying its a good thing or anything of the sort, but people who are driven, for what ever reason to take there own lives, only want to stop the pain.

jessiejam wrote: »
    These poor souls feel they are a burden on others and want to take that burden away. How is that selfish?

It's not selfish, just misguided, and a clear sign of mental instability. No offence intended to anyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Dudess wrote: »
    In my opinion, calling it selfish is selfish in and of itself as it displays such a lack of understanding and thought and empathy in relation to the pain the person was going through - it doesn't take their feelings/experiences into consideration. I can understand anger and lashing out though, but to see it in terms as simple as "It's selfish to do that to the people left behind" doesn't seem fair.
    It is an awful thing to do to a family, but not necessarily selfish in intent, and borne out of such horrific suffering.

Oh I would never say it was a deliberate act of selfishness or selfish in intent and I know that there is more important things going on in their mind at the time than the repurcussions to those left behind. Like I said I would never chastise someone for feeling this way, it is unbearable torture and I do completely empathise with them.

I'm not trying to come across as a horrible person or attack those who feel or have felt this way. Selfish is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of suicide. It was a small part of my original post.
    I have never known anyone who has committed suicide, but have I been affected by it? Yes. Tbph, I've attempted it. Do I think suicide is selfish? No, I don't. I really don't. If people who have killed themselves felt anything like I did, I imagine they figured that no one would really be too bothered by their death. In fact, I was convinced that I was just a huge burden on everyone and I genuinely thought that if I wasn't around, everyone would be happier and have an easier life.

When you feel so badly that ending your life seems like a viable solution, or the only solution, it is close to impossible to see positivity anywhere. In the depths of depression, your mind simply twists each and every scenario into a negative one.

Calling anyone selfish for committing suicide does demonstrate a huge lack of understanding, imo. It's hardly surprising that so many people feel that they can't talk about feeling suicidal etc.

To quote my previous post:
    It's not a stupid statement. In my opinion it's definitely a selfish act. From my own personal experience, seeing and living with the pain it causes friends and family, it's just horrible. It's something that we will never get over.

A few years ago I suffered from depression and was, for a brief period, suicidal. It didn't cross my mind how it would affect any of the people I love I just wanted out. Luckily I managed to get help before doing anything stupid and after experiencing firsthand the pain of losing someone to suicide, I would never contemplate again.

So yes it's definitely selfish in my eyes. I'm not saying that people who are suicidal or have taken their own life are selfish pricks or anything, I know they felt like there was no escape and that it was their only choice but I know if my friend had seen the devastation caused by his death he would never, ever have done it.

I used to cut myself, spend days alone in my room just lying in bed and after a while I became convinced that no-one cared about me or loved me or would miss me if I died. I barely talked to anyone, I ate my meals at quickly and quietly and retreated back to my room. When my mom started getting worried that I never left my room, I would pretend to meet up with friends but really I would just wander around on my own for a couple of hours, sometimes I would get drunk. It got worse and worse every day and it felt like I would never get better, never feel happy again. Until one night I called my friend and confessed everything. I don't what triggered it or how I suddenly got the courage to talk about it but I did. That was 3 years ago and thankfully I got the help I needed before I did anything stupid.

So I do understand. While I was never at the point where I was 100% determined to end my life, I have experienced some of what people go through.

If you think about it, it takes some serious balls to do it.

I am not sure its an act taken out of courage, more out of despair and the lowest point someone can be at.

qwytre wrote: »
    I am not sure its an act taken out of courage, more out of despair and the lowest point someone can be at.

I didn't use the word courage, as i agree with you, i wouldn't say its couragous. I'm not sure there is a word to describe what i mean. I know i wouldn't have the balls to do it anyway.

I didn't use the word courage, as i agree with you, i wouldn't say its couragous. I'm not sure there is a word to describe what i mean. I know i wouldn't have the balls to do it anyway.

It's not about having the balls though. You "not having the balls" to do it is a clear sign that you are, in all likeliness, mentally healthy. Whereas the other sign of the coin would be a clear indication that someone is in a very, very bad place mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

I've only been affected by suicide in a good way. I did what was necessary for someone to get the help that the person needed after an attempt. I told the persons parents when siblings were unsure what to do. It all worked out for the best in the end. I don't think the person ever knew and probably never will, but that doesn't matter. My proudest moment after the birth of my kids.

I have never talked about it before and probably never again but it is something good I did that I can take to my grave.
    My point is that even if you suspect someone needs help take it on yourself to get the ball rolling, don't wait for someone else.

It has nothing to do with "having the balls" to do it. It just becomes something that you want to do. To a person who has never experienced any mental instability etc., self harming might seem like an absurd thing to do and elicit thoughts of, "No way, that'd hurt!" but to others, self harming is a coping mechanism and the idea of it seems perfectly logical.

Maybe many people who do commit suicide are scared, but ime, the fear is more of not succeeding, not finding an escape as opposed to anything else and all of that tends to override any other kind of fear.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It's not about having the balls though. You "not having the balls" to do it is a clear sign that you are, in all likeliness, mentally healthy. Whereas the other sign of the coin would be a clear indication that someone is in a very, very bad place mentally.

Hopefully I will remain that way. I do feel for those that are not in a good place mentally, I have seen first hand the destruction a serious mental illness causes and how depression can ruin and run every single thing in your life. A very close family member suffered from it all through my childhood. Made me more aware of the signs of mental illness than being afraid of it.
    I think all kids should be taught about it as part of their schooling. To know that its not taboo anymore, the same as sexual ed was taboo a few years back. It may give them the communication and listening skills that one day might help them save a life, or even their own.

I think all kids should be taught about it as part of their schooling. To know that its not taboo anymore, the same as sexual ed was taboo a few years back. It may give them the communication and listening skills that one day might help them save a life, or even their own.

That's a good idea, as I said earlier on it's society's problem moreso than the individual's. When someone would rather throw themselves underneath a train or off of a building rather than just admit to someone that they are struggling then there is something seriously wrong. We need to show people from an early age that illnesses such as depression are nothing to be ashamed of. It's imperative that stigmatisation is seriously tackled from a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

My uncle committed suicide several years ago. He was suffering for years with Tinnitus, very severely and decided to end it all under a train. My family are very divided in their opinions, many won't even talk about it, in ways it's like he never existed.

I actually can't understand those that would condemn him for what he did, rather than him being the selfish one, wouldn't we be selfish for expecting him to live on in obvious suffering so that he didn't offend our sensibilities.

I understand why people can feel pain and regret when it comes to suicide but I rarely understand the anger felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

I think so much can be learned from people like yourself. For the majority of the population suicide is a total mystery and by asking the right questions surely something can be learned about what drives a person to suicide. People like you can give some comfort to the bereaved relations of suicide victims and give them an insight into the possible thinking of the person.

Too often we look at people who have attempted suicide as attention seekers or whatever instead of saying, well that person was very close to being another statistic, what can we learn from them.

Personally i know 8 people who have killed themselves. They were of all ages, professions and totally different characters but one thing they all had in common was that they were male. And 7 of the 8 would have had alchohol problems or were drunk while they did it. Im not blaming alchohol by the way, im just saying it seems to come hand in hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have been affected and still am, reading back over this opens up wounds that will always hurt.

It's not selfish, just misguided, and a clear sign of mental instability. No offence intended to anyone. :)

The mental health of our population is something that is grossly overlooked by us all. Anybody that wants to end their life and goes against all our natural instinct to survive has to be mentally unstable and in a very dark place.

I would not call anyone selfish as this feeds into the taboo, a taboo the family has to carry along with the raw bitter pain of losing a loved one. It would be hard to put yourself in the place of the victim, the feeling of loneliness and despair in the final moments of their lives must be overwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm very lucky in that I have never lost anyone close to me to suicide.
    Dudess wrote: »
    That said, I don't know whether there's anything wrong with sensitively telling a suicidal person the pain they will cause if they leave, and focusing on the things they have to live for, and there should be so much more emphasis on how there is help out there, no need to go it alone... even if the above proves fruitless in the end.

This reminds me of when I was twenty, and one of my closest friends was suffering from very bad depression ... had been, for a couple of years. She was getting treatment but at the time it didn't seem to be helping much, and she rang me one night on the verge of ending things. I got pretty angry with her and told her that she was not putting it on me, she was not going to make me live with being the last person she talked to and the person who failed to stop her from doing that and who had to tell everyone so. I convinced her to wait til the next day at least and then we'd talk.

I stayed up that night and wrote her a really long letter, I think it was about twelve A4 pages! I said a lot of things in that letter, but one thing I did was I went through, in painstaking detail, the exact effects that her suicide would have on each friend and family member - not just the immediate effects, but for years to come. I know her family well, so had a fair idea of what to write. Another thing I did was I arranged a dinner date for the two of us, three years from then, and I swore to her that she wouldn't regret staying around for it, that things would have improved incredibly by then.

The next year or so was very tough for her. I helped her any way I could. She did tell me, when things had settled down a bit, that any time she got really close to doing it, she read again what I had written about the effects of her going through with it would be. And she said that that's what stopped her.

I know that what I was doing was absolutely emotional blackmail, and not everyone would agree that I did the right thing. But you know, I don't care. She's one of my closest friends, and five years on she's one of the happiest people I know - great career, long-term relationship, a really lovely well-balanced person. She's still on medication for depression, but it's under control now. If what I did helped her even a little bit to stick around to become that person, then I don't care if it was the "right" or the "wrong" way to go about it - because it's what worked for her.

I think so much can be learned from people like yourself. For the majority of the population suicide is a total mystery and by asking the right questions surely something can be learned about what drives a person to suicide. People like you can give some comfort to the bereaved relations of suicide victims and give them an insight into the possible thinking of the person.

Too often we look at people who have attempted suicide as attention seekers or whatever instead of saying, well that person was very close to being another statistic, what can we learn from them.

Personally i know 8 people who have killed themselves. They were of all ages, professions and totally different characters but one thing they all had in common was that they were male. And 7 of the 8 would have had alchohol problems or were drunk while they did it. Im not blaming alchohol by the way, im just saying it seems to come hand in hand!

You know, maybe too often all the people who commit suicide or attempt to need is a little attention, but they have no idea how to get it. I know I always felt like I wasn't worthy of attention, and tbh, I just had no idea who to turn to or what to say.

When you don't really understand what is wrong with you yourself, explaining it to another person is next to impossible... And being severely depressed, it's easy to think that no one actually cares about you anyway, or wants to help you... Or you can become convinced that there is nothing anyone can do or say to make things better.

The fact that the services for mental health are extremely lacking in this country does add to the issue, of course. Huge waiting lists, crippling costs. There's an ad on tv atm that highlights how time is critical to a person having a stroke. No one has stood up and said that time is also so important to a person who is depressed. The longer you are depressed, the harder it is to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to make people know that it is okay to admit to not being okay, but something needs to happen and it needs to happen soon.

• Dudess wrote: »

I never understood people who think it's selfish. Is it not more selfish to expect someone to live with an enormous amount of anguish just so they don't hurt other people? What about that person's feelings?

I think it doesn't help that so many people just brush depression and anxiety under the carpet. I know that several times in my life I've felt desperate and at rock bottom and tried to reach out to someone who just said 'ah pull yourself together, sure you have a grand life.' Expressing negative thoughts is seen as 'moaning', so I think people tend to keep it all inside and put on a brave face and that's a recipe for disaster. I've heard so many people say 'X had everything going for them' after someone committed suicide. Well, they obviously didn't, did they? You don't kill yourself for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Edit:

Edit:

TBH i didnt want attention, I WANTED TO BE DEAD.

I don't get this attention thing, how can they get the attention when there dead, after saying that some only half do it ( i knew a girl who did that, that must have been an attention thing).

I suppose at the end of the day its the frame of mind your in.

I didn't say want, I said need. I do think that people who are suicidal need attention, medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

TBH i didnt want attention, I WANTED TO BE DEAD.

I don't get this attention thing, how can they get the attention when there dead, after saying that some only half do it ( i knew a girl who did that, that must have been an attention thing).

I suppose at the end of the day its the frame of mind your in.

This girl you're referring to, just because she attempted suicide and wasn't successful in her attempt, it doesn't mean that you can brush it off as an "attention thing". I don't get the impression that you know her or her circumstances well enough to judge that - if indeed anyone has the right to make these judgements!

Every individual is different. Just because you felt a certain way doesn't mean that you can apply your frame of mind at the time to anyone else, and it doesn't mean that you can judge other people who have attempted suicide.

By the way, I don't think that Novella meant that people attempt suicide in an angsty attention-seeker way - it's far more complex than that. Often if someone does something as a cry for help, they're not even aware themselves that they need or want any help, or at least not for a long time afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

. From then i built myself up something no one could do for me. Now 15 years later I'm a lot stronger, i think that i would be even stronger than the average Joe.

Well done. From my own point,my brother tried to kill himself twice,thought he was doing us all a favour and then a time came when he decided to get help and look to the future,he died in his sleep,from the damage he had done to
    himself.

• Advertisement

If they spent half as much money on mental health awareness and treatment clinics for young people, as they do on the RSA. This country would see the deaths of young people reduce, I have no doubt about it.

There are more deaths every year in this country by suicide than there are by RTA's
    Some of those RTA's may be suicides too, who knows.

It all boils down to making kids at a young age understand that its ok for the brain to be sick as well as the body.

I've heard so many people say 'X had everything going for them' after someone committed suicide. Well, they obviously didn't, did they? You don't kill yourself for the laugh.
    Well, it's not as black and white as that sometimes. A bloke I knew who did it left a young family behind who he adored. Within this context he very much had something going for him. He was just too mentally unstable at the time to fully comprehend what he was doing. All this selfish talk is futile because the truth is, in the moment that they decide to take their own life, they are mentally gone. They have lost the ability to think reasonably. They are not of sound mind, and that is why the issue of selfishness doesn't come into it. If they were fully in control mentally then they would be selfish, but then in that case they wouldn't be committing the act at all, would they?

• LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Well, it's not as black and white as that sometimes. A bloke I knew who did it left a young family behind who he adored. Within this context he very much had something going for him. He was just too mentally unstable at the time to fully comprehend what he was doing. All this selfish talk is futile because the truth is, in the moment that they decide to take their own life, they are mentally gone. They have lost the ability to think reasonably. They are not of sound mind, and that is why the issue of selfishness doesn't come into it. If they were fully in control mentally then they would be selfish, but then in that case they wouldn't be committing the act at all, would they?

:confused: I never said people who kill themselves have nothing going for them. I said they obviously don't have everything going for them. As in, no matter how much it seems they have to live for, there's obviously something much bigger that's overshadowing it all, be that severe depression, mental illness, a traumatising event. The people expressing shock and making comments like 'but he had no reason to do it' really have no idea what was going on in the person's life. Yet I hear people saying stuff like that time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

storm2811 wrote: »
    Yes,there's a family in a near by village who were largely affected by it,I don't think I should say much in case someone close to them is reading but I'll just say that that family has seen so much of it I honestly don't know how they cope.
    The whole community was in shock for weeks.

I think most of the people around here, including me were affected because we all knew them quite well.

Leitrim has the highest male suicide rate doesn't it?I think it used to anyway.

Think I know who you are talking about. Someone quite close to me from this village also did it not long beforehand. You possibly knew him too. Any time I visit the village since I think its a very sad place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

kc66 wrote: »
    Think I know who you are talking about. Someone quite close to me from this village also did it not long beforehand. You possibly knew him too. Any time I visit the village since I think its a very sad place.

It could be the same person, the aftermath of his suicide was huge blow to the family.

thefishone wrote: »
    Well done. From my own point,my brother tried to kill himself twice,thought he was doing us all a favour and then a time came when he decided to get help and look to the future,he died in his sleep,from the damage he had done to
    himself.

I felt the same way too..... I'm so sorry for your loss, Thank you for sharing it, its brought tears to my eyes.

• Advertisement

Edit:

Edit:

Edit:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lets all breathe deeply for a second and gather our thoughts. I know full well that this is an emotional subject but lets keep cool heads and the discussion going.

Any more out bursts and I will be force to close this.

Thanks

in the moment that they decide to take their own life, they are mentally gone. They have lost the ability to think reasonably. They are not of sound mind, and that is why the issue of selfishness doesn't come into it. ?

Too many it might seem they are mentally gone but it could be that's they themselves might feel its their only escape.....
    to ease the burden on everyone else.......
    to end their pain mental/physical from bullying/medical........

There are many reasons for suicide it could be a rational choice.... e.g. they are dying from cancer and want to end it before the pain gets worse....

I personally think suicide has many different brackets so i cant paint them with the same brush......

• Advertisement
Advertisement