Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc brake options

• 29-08-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Fed up with AVID's, had a sticking front caliper when I arrived in Carlingford for dacooleythriller, previous experience with avids have proved a nighmare trying to ge the pads back in again, so I decided to leave them......anyway I was totally chinned by the first feed stop and decided I had to free them. Out came the pads, bit of fiddling with the pistons and there was no way the pads would go back in.....

So they are going in the bin and I am going to get something else. Would like Magura Martas but they are just too expensive.....

Any other suggestions? CRC have decent priced XT dual controls about £100 for front and rear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Only ever used avids myself so I can't comment on possible upgrades but with regards to pushing the pads back in - I've discovered the trick is to use an allen key from behind rather than the front, very easy to push the pistons back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Pred192

I have used a mainly Shimano disk brakes and one Magura set. Ive tried the current and the older version of Shimano Deore and the new version of XT. If you want to go cheap then Shimano Deore are a great job the new ones are very responsive and have excellent braking power. Of course you get what you pay for, the Shimano XT are a lot nicer and are the main ones I use now. The XT I find are the best brakes that I have ever used, I have set mine up to be very sharp and provide more than enough braking power for any trail. If I had to buy new brakes again I would go straight back into them. They are basically the exact same brake at the XTR except the XTR has a different mount and it does not have lever adjustment. This obviously saves some weight but for the price it is not worth with, also I prefer the ability to adjust the position of my levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Upgraded from Vbrakes to XT discs recently, and was very happy yesterday up in Carlingford with the brakes, no issues. Have also heard recomendations for Formula ORO?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Just buy Shimano....totally hassle free and they work so well....

Advertisement