Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Youtube Buffering

• 29-08-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I'm having a disastrous time trying to play Youtube videos in the last few days.

Prior to that I had little or no problem playing them but now it's the same no matter what video I try to play :mad:

It's so annoying & I have no idea were to start looking in an attempt to sort it.

They all just buffer every few seconds and other than pausing them and letting them play almost to the end is the only way I can watch them with any comfort.

I don't want to start messing with video accelerators are the likes as whatever is gone wrong is something that's only started recently & I'd prefer to try fix it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I'm having a disastrous time trying to play Youtube videos in the last few days.

Prior to that I had little or no problem playing them but now it's the same no matter what video I try to play :mad:

It's so annoying & I have no idea were to start looking in an attempt to sort it.

I don't want to start messing with video accelerators are the likes as whatever is gone wrong is something that's only started recently & I'd prefer to try fix it.

-

What browser are you using ? Have you done a speedtest ?

If so, what was the results ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Saganist wrote: »
    What browser are you using ? Have you done a speedtest ?

If so, what was the results ?

My main Browser is FF 3.6.8 which has been updated recently and yes, I have done a speed test which it reporting to be fine.

As I said, it's been fine up to a few days ago ...

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a known issue with firefox and Youtube, try another browser

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its a known issue with firefox and Youtube, try another browser

Are you saying with Firefox in general or just with the latest version?

It has been working fine for me in FF for ages up to this?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

-

Change to Chrome. Your life will be much better after it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

-

In general, its a well known issue, have a google
    http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=firefox+youtube+problems&btnG=Google+Search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

In addition, consider changing the quality. It's the little button that says something like 360 480 720 etc to something lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Saganist wrote: »
    Change to Chrome. Your life will be much better after it.

pfft Chrome. Opera all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Also, ensure you have the latest flash player version installed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

-

You aint alone there gadgetman.....its being happening to me too, but only within the last week or so....Im using chrome...and its up to date to the best of my knowledge...!! :confused:

• Advertisement

You aint alone there gadgetman.....its being happening to me too, but only within the last week or so....Im using chrome...and its up to date to the best of my knowledge...!! :confused:

I think it's something to do with my BB connection\line because I have the issue on FF, IE & Chrome & only tried it on another desktop & laptop on my line this morning and it's the same on them all too.

I'm on a 8meg with Smart :mad: & even though the speed tester is reporting near enough the expected speeds I suspect now that something has been changed in my profile on the ISP end?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its port80 so I doubt Smart are throttling the bandwidth. Did you do a speed test within youtube or outside of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm on a 8meg with Smart :mad: & even though the speed tester is reporting near enough the expected speeds I suspect now that something has been changed in my profile on the ISP end?

-

Funnily enough, I've been also experiencing the same issue and I'm with Smart on the same package.

Its port80 so I doubt Smart are throttling the bandwidth. Did you do a speed test within youtube or outside of it?

I'm not thinking they throttled me as such, it's just that they do from time to time put users on remedial profile settings when they see things going out of whack, it happened to me once before. I don't know if this is automated on their end or if they manually have to do it?

I ran my speed test with nothing at all running. What exactly do you mean by "Within Youtube"?

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I ran my speed test with nothing at all running. What exactly do you mean by "Within Youtube"?

-
    there's a speed test you can do in Youtube. there's some button there underneath videos iirc. though i just go to speedtest.net cos it's easier and quicker to understand.

-

Right click on a youtube video, click speed test.

FFS. This would be a Smart problem then, 20mb work connection has gone to **** on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Lots of posts on Smart's support forum about it. No reply last time I checked.

Advertisement