Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. John's College Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2010 4:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Im starting a course in St. Johns College in Cork next month and I will be driving up from Cork county each day. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any free parking near the college or what in general is my best bet for parking overall near the college? hope someone can help!

Comments

No free parking near St John's, you'll have to go a fair mile or so to reach any area without disc parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Best bet is to contact the college and ask for their advice - I'm sure they have some advice on parking for staff and students, as this question would come up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

RoverJames wrote: »
    No free parking near St John's, you'll have to go a fair mile or so to reach any area without disc parking.

Ya I suppose ballyphehane/turners cross is the closest place with no disc parking, and even then some roads have it.
    A mile's not much of a walk though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

No where around there that has free parking that I can think of. Park out near Turners Cross and get number 6 or number 3 bus in?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

There's a car park off South Terrace that does all day parking for €10. That's the cheapest I know of anywhere in the area.

• Advertisement

babo9 wrote: »
    Ya I suppose ballyphehane/turners cross is the closest place with no disc parking, and even then some roads have it.
    A mile's not much of a walk though :)

Parking in a private residential area every day is most annoying for the residents. Students park outside our house most days when UCC is open, the street sweeper cannot sweep the kerbs then, we live near the Lough so in Autumn there are leaves absolutely everywhere. Also get the few people working in town doing it, one miserable numpty driving a BMW M5 is a regular, tight bastad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

My sister used park by a church down by Mary Street which is only a 2 minute walk away. Can't remember the name of the church now.

Theres a car park on white street, which is barely two minutes walk from st. johns. Don't know what they charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Theres a car park on white street, which is barely two minutes walk from st. johns. Don't know what they charge though.

Thats the one that charges €10 a day mentioned a bit further up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

Plenty of students have parked anywhere between Turner's Cross and Douglas over the years. You can always park in an estate on the South Douglas Road and then walk to college. If you're in town you can then get the no 6 out. You'd be better off walking into college in the morning as the traffic can be v congested. A 20 minute walk is no hassle and you can always jump on the bus in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

When I was there, I knew someone who used park as far away as the Lidl in ballinlough and walk in,
    and another person who used park outside his aunts in grange and get the 6 into the city

RoverJames wrote: »
    one miserable numpty driving a BMW M5 is a regular, tight bastard.

Is it white with a C reg saying 115?

if so it's really a 320 diesel with some badges and an expensive vanity number plate.
    If its this car it's a woman who owns it, I see it regularly around ballyvolane/mayfield

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lledar

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get parking near the college for attending night courses? I don't know the area very well, is there any street(s) in particular that may be ok - many thanks

if so it's really a 320 diesel with some badges and an expensive vanity number plate.
    If its this car it's a woman who owns it, I see it regularly around ballyvolane/mayfield

No it's a genuine M5, badge or no badge no 320 looks like an M5 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 misschatty2012

Any one looking for driving buddy for this year from Clonmel to Cork ? :)
    Im starting in saint Johns Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

lledar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is difficult to get parking near the college for attending night courses? I don't know the area very well, is there any street(s) in particular that may be ok - many thanks

You can park in the White's St car park after 6pm. It's free then.

@OP. Is it worth getting a monthly parking rate from the Grand Parade car park? It's a Q-Park, and normally not cheap, but they might do student rates. Certainly, you can walk in from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

White St Car park is closed from Wednesday until further notice, it has been free for the last 8-9 months or so, all the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dave147 wrote: »
    White St Car park is closed from Wednesday until further notice, it has been free for the last 8-9 months or so, all the time.

Any further information on that?

Faith wrote: »
    Any further information on that?

They are doing some work in there, I don't know what. But I suspect it may have something to do with being able to charge people for parking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Black Ash P+R, I think it's €5 per day.

Update on this:

It is now a Pay-by-phone car park, however I don't think the wardens are ticketing people in there as I am gone back to parking there every night and I am not being fined. I imagine it will be enforced soon but as of yet it hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I just got a ticket for illegal parking in White Street car park, back in September! Think the place was full and I'd parked on double yellow lines - within the car park. :confused:

boomerang wrote: »
    I just got a ticket for illegal parking in White Street car park, back in September! Think the place was full and I'd parked on double yellow lines - within the car park. :confused:

Double yellow lines mean "Don't park here, no matter what", not "Only park here if the other spaces are full".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Double yellow lines mean "Don't park here, no matter what", not "Only park here if the other spaces are full".

not unless you have your hazards on, duh

not unless you have your hazards on, duh

What does that mean? If you see double yellow lines, then you can't park there - simple.

What does that mean? If you see double yellow lines, then you can't park there - simple.

It's a joke. Irish people seem to think that putting their hazard lights on allows them to park in all sorts of illegal and dangerous places, because they're "just doing the lotto" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It's a joke. Irish people seem to think that putting their hazard lights on allows them to park in all sorts of illegal and dangerous places, because they're "just doing the lotto" or something.

Oh for god sake...it is not just Irish people. Do you really think this happens NOWHERE else? Seriously, not every bad habit people see is just an Irish thing. People do it everywhere.

Sorry but big pet hate of mine is people on here constantly saying every stupid thing people do is Irish this and Irish that. Bullsh*t.

Ludo wrote: »
    Oh for god sake...it is not just Irish people. Do you really think this happens NOWHERE else? Seriously, not every bad habit people see is just an Irish thing. People do it everywhere.

Sorry but big pet hate of mine is people on here constantly saying every stupid thing people do is Irish this and Irish that. Bullsh*t.

At the risk of dragging this further OT. IMO, no it isn't. I'll give you an example. Only this afternoon, I was in Dunne's in Ballyvolane. Busy Saturday afternoon, but still plenty of parking. What did I see but a black Vectra parked across the parking spaces at the back of the store. So that the drivers couldn't just back out of the spaces which might be reasonable. Because of the ignoramus who was too lazy to park properly, the drivers are inconvenienced by having to wait for the idiot driver to come back, as other cars were parked behind. And yes, the car was still there by the time I returned. Pity I didn't get a picture...

I've only ever seen stupid parking like this (and loads of other places I could mention) here TBH. I've never seen anything like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I think people park badly in every country, but it may be an irish thing to stick the hazards on while parked badly,

The disabled space accross from kc`s chipper is a good example, people pull into it put the hazards on then RUN into extravision:)

Advertisement