Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole recipients Will have to work 19.5 hours

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yep, well I actually agree with this Welease. People need to get out of the idea that education is some kind of silver bullet that guarantees you'll be successful.

Education doesn't make you "better" in any way than anyone else. It doesn't matter what your teacher/parent/government/sister/auntie/priest/trainer told you, education will not "enrich" your life anymore than any other diligent pursuit would.

Agree with the first sentence, disagree with the second.

Education makes you "better" qualified to take up a role in most professional jobs. Try getting a job as a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist or vet without the prerequisite education. Of course this all depends on what you deem "success" to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Dont know how this will work,i pity the genuine folk who out are painting and cleaning only to be stuck with moaning teenagers who miss their ps3 at home,let alone this is wpp in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Now I'm not naive enough to suggest that we're going to be able to recoup banker's bonuses for the people. However I have serious issues with the argument that if they don't get these bonuses that they'll all emigrate to Switzerland. Has this happened? If so can you please provide a link?

It seems to me that there hasn't been much "talent" in the banking industry in the last number of years. The idea that the top people can earn these huge bonuses whilst the performance of their institutions was so bad that they needed government intervention in may cases is mind boggling. It smacks of the same 'entitlement' issues that are brought up when people are criticising other sections of society (myself included).

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

Spacedog wrote: »
    great idea, that aughta get them pesants back where they belong, working slave labour on a famine road!!!

PRSI - is social insurance, it's an insurance policy so that if you're out of work you claim the dole. If you got car insurance and had an accident, and the company said, ok you can have a new car, but you have to pay for it. that's what this is like.

Anyone who thinks PRSI is a tax to pay for bums has been listening to too much Adrian Kennedy.

FFS:rolleyes:

Technically there's no such thing as the dole anymore. There's Jobseekers benefit/Jobseekers allowance. Jobseekers benefit is for those who have paid PRSI and will only be paid for a year at the most, its then means tested and is known as the Jobseekers Allowance.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with "forcing" people who's PRSI entitlements have run out, to work. Its only on a part time basis and in order to get this payment they've signed a declaration to say they're willing and able to work.
    People on the Jobseekers benefit could be allowed to take the oppportunities also, if they so wished. I was made redundant in May and would have been more than willing to partake in any work the social had suggested. The days stretch out ahead when you've nothing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

He's a troll timespast. Anyone who uses smileys like ":rolleyes:", where in a serious way they mean, "oh god, how stupid are you lololol" is obviously very immature and lowlife rude themselves and I wouldn't attempt discussion with them.

Why would you need a smiley rolling your eyes to the sky if what you're saying is valid to begin with? I mean why can't what you're saying speak for itself?
    So in your opinion I my duty is to just keep working, pay my taxes and ignore how my money is being wasted on certain people in our country who are obviously wealthy depite never having worked a day in their lives???My tax should be spent on the thousands of unfortunate who are struggling to survive and raise a family after having lost their jobs through no fault of their own yet never seem to end up in our courts week in week out. This by your definition makes any tax payer who questions how his or her money is spent a rude, immature lowlife...whos side are you on the tax payers or the scumbags?.......PS. I hope you dont find my use of the word scunbag upsetting as you appear to be a very PC individual:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭feicim

I think anglo/banks will be a problem for 2011, 2012, 2013....?

Wait until banks/government openly admit that the 7 billion worth of mortgage arrears will likely never be repaid.

That will be another banking horror story for the years ahead. But doubtless the gubberment will be able to find a few billion to hand over to the banks*.

* ie the speculators/gamblers who loaned the bank the money to lend in the first place.

The sad thing is they probably wouldn't. If a joe soap walked in off the street they would most likely be politely listened to and then shown the door. The government don't even appear to listen to their own civil servants or even their paid consultants, why would they listen to anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭feicim

bonzos wrote: »
    ...This by your definition makes any tax payer who questions how his or her money is spent a rude, immature lowlife...whos side are you on the tax payers or the scumbags?.......:rolleyes:

You do realise that everybody who buys stuff or pays a bill or spends any money at all in the country is a tax payer don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

feicim wrote: »
    You do realise that everybody who buys stuff or pays a bill or spends any money at all in the country is a tax payer don't you?

Questionable, as it depends on where they get that spending money from.

If the Original Taxpayer supplies the money to someone as their Dole, that hardly makes the Dole Recipient a taxpayer now does it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Never mind the universe expanding, Ireland is going into reverse! This scheme is is yet another attempt to lower wages across the board. Companies will lower wages for the few jobs that are available and people desperate to work will lap them up. It might reduce the dole stats a bit but soon we'll all be on half a shilling and a two penny bit with a few streaky rashers wrapped up some newspaper for the really industrious among us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

Blackjack wrote: »
    Questionable, as it depends on where they get that spending money from.

If the Original Taxpayer supplies the money to someone as their Dole, that hardly makes the Dole Recipient a taxpayer now does it?.

If that dole recipient spends money in your newsagents, and you profit from said money and pay your staff (who in turn pay PAYE), does that also make your private staff member not really a taxpayer? Their PAYE contribution originated from the state according to your logic.

Can staff in ESB/Bord Gais/Dublin Bus/etc really be classed under your definition of 'taxpayers' ?

Can any staff for that matter?

The taxation system is far too complex to simply say Person A is a taxpayer and Person B is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Dont know how this will work,i pity the genuine folk who out are painting and cleaning only to be stuck with moaning teenagers who miss their ps3 at home,let alone this is wpp in disguise.

Another badly thought out scheme. What should happen is that minimum wage is cut slightly and then employers are given tax incentives to setup business or hire workers. Not a 'make-work' scheme which still wastes large amounts of public money for little result. Doesn't FAS and the WPP do that already?
    We should be creating jobs, we need to create jobs, but we can't waste money on things that take away jobs from other people or don't produce useful end results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

30H!3 wrote: »
    If that dole recipient spends money in your newsagents, and you profit from said money and pay your staff (who in turn pay PAYE), does that also make your private staff member not really a taxpayer? Their PAYE contribution originated from the state according to your logic.

Can staff in ESB/Bord Gais/Dublin Bus/etc really be classed under your definition of 'taxpayers' ?

Can any staff for that matter?

The taxation system is far too complex to simply say Person A is a taxpayer and Person B is not.

Thats a bit if a mad circle - by your definition, you could suggest that Social Welfare recipients pay their own way by spending the money given to them.

If only life were that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Colpriz wrote: »
    This scheme is is yet another attempt to lower wages across the board.

Nonsense, it's about helping genuine claimants and stopping those who defraud the tax payer.

This new scheme gives participants a higher weekly payment (€210 for 19.5 hours), allows them the opportunity of taking up work while avoiding the necessity of a means test, improves their own community, whilst at the same time it will combat welfare fraud and partipation in the black market.

Minister Ó Cuív was absolutely correct when he stated “maintaining people’s employability through* regular work activity will be important for getting people back into the competitive economy” as the vast majority of people have an innate desire to be useful. This scheme will counter the scarring effects of long term unemployment which make it harder to become reemployed the longer a person is out of work, but also once reemployed, people who have been out of work for long periods of time tend to perform less well than their peers.

Giving people back a sense of worth whilst at the same time countering fraud is a win-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Colpriz wrote: »
    Never mind the universe expanding, Ireland is going into reverse! This scheme is is yet another attempt to lower wages across the board. Companies will lower wages for the few jobs that are available and people desperate to work will lap them up. It might reduce the dole stats a bit but soon we'll all be on half a shilling and a two penny bit with a few streaky rashers wrapped up some newspaper for the really industrious among us!

And running as a high cost economy is working wonders for us?

When we get to the stage that people have enough money to believe paying 500K for a badly built apartment is good value.. then yes.. we need to lower wages..

Advertisement