Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bang for buck upgrades?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Here's what I have currently:

Mobo: Asustek P5N32-E SLI Plus (spec here)
    Gfx: Radeon X1950 Pro
    Memory: 2gb PC2-6400 Corsair ram
    Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20ghz
    Psu: Fairly decent 1000W Antec PSU, not sure of model.

The rest is fairly unimportant in terms of performance but do me fine. PC is mostly used for gaming, streaming american football matches in HD, the odd bit of video editing and photoshop. Don't overclock so have no extra cooling etc.

With that in mind what should I be looking at upgrading? As in best value for money upgrades? Because of how little it will get abused I don't want to spend a whole fortune on it for it to go out of date and not get much use! So i'm thinking of setting a €300 budget for upgrades - want to be able to play the likes of Mass Effect 2 and Starcraft 2 with all the visual goodness they are supposed to have.

Would a decent graphics card alone make much of an improvement or should I be looking at adding a new CPU and maybe more/better memory? Think the motherboard will do for this round of upgrades and build a new machine next time round. Any opinions/advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hmm...

What is the maximum resolution of your monitor?

The problem with no OCing is that it largely rules out sticking with your current platform. If you want to avoid OCing, you'll have to compromise heavily on quality or double your budget in order to update your entire platform :o

You really need a CPU update at this point, but that would neccessitate a full platform upgrade as your current mobo is ancient and can't even use 45nm C2Qs. At this point your one and only option is a Q6*00 CPU, but even then you won't get too much out of them without an overclock. To make matters worse 65nm Core2s are now obsolete and you can only really get them second-hand - but the problem is that there have been a lot of people in the same boat as you so Q6*00s are now thin on the ground and are starting to command serious prices.

At this point you'd be darn lucky to find one, but if you did find one under €120 jump on it as if it were on fire. Preferably not the Q6600, as some of the early bins were very hot-running and are hard to keep in check with a cack, noisy stock fan even without OCing :o Plus the Q6700 isn't quite as infamous for high (>3,5GHz) OCs as the later-stepping Q6600s so you might find one cheap somewhere if you're lucky. The further past €80 you go (and you'd be damn lucky to get any old quad that low!), the further your hope of getting some extra RAM disappears :o

Graphics depends on your monitor resolution. If you have a 1080p set already or plan to upgrade the HD5770 1GB is the bare minimum. A cheap GTX460 would be great but for that to happen you have to get that second-hand CPU in for as far under €130 as posssible! If you're using a lower-res screen things ease up a bit; just under 1080p a 1GB HD5770 or cheap second-hand 1GB HD4870 are plenty and a 1GB HD5750 is fine; heading closer towards 720p you'll find even a HD5750 512MB pulls its weight fine; a second-hand HD4850 or HD4770 going cheap (<€80) would also suffice.

After that you'd plow any remaining cash into getting one or two 1GB sticks of PC6400 DDR2; as close to the spec (speed/latency/voltage) as your existing sticks as possible. If your current ones live on 2.1V you'll need new ones that manage likewise; if they run at the standard 1.8V the new ones can't be overvolted either; if your Corsairs are low-latency (CL4) you'll need similar or tighter new ones, and most PC6400 modules on the market are now CL6 high-latency parts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm not against overclocking, just never got into it so wouldn't know where to begin with it. If I did go down that route i'm sure it would involve either some parts going kaput or at least a splurge on some more cooling gear so either way that will cost something.

So might look into a little more extensive upgrade... might. If I turned that 3 into say €500 have I many more options? To be fair, the monitor I have is a 19" widescreen from Aldi/Lidl so not the best - sat beside it though is a 32" TV which I would be streaming the football to via hdmi.

I'll try price a few components tonight to see what I can come up with. I'd imagine I would have to stick in some new ram so as not to have to compromise on the motherboard, that being said I would probably look for a cheap motherboard, half decent processor and then a better graphics card? Or am I going about this the wrong way altogether?

Lack of any Full-HD screens makes things a fair bit easier :) Odds are the monitor is actually a higher res than the TV. "HD Ready" = 720p+ = 1366*768. The 19" is likely to be 1280*1024 (if 5:4) or 1440*900 (if widescreen). In either case a cheap HD5750 will get you by, although you might want a 1GB version or a HD5770 if you're gaming and straming HD content to the TV simultaneously for some reason...

If you look around you could find HD5770 1GB for €135, 512MB version for even less; a second-hand HD4870 would be cheaper still, though rather hot and thirsty. If you don't do anything too intense on both screens simultaneously then you could easily get away with a HD5750 (<€100 new if you're lucky) or a second-hand HD4850 (fairly thirsty) or HD4770 (not very thirsty at all :))

Hopefully you could get away with a Q6600, maybe with a BIOS update. Q6700 even better, just don't spend too much on them! An extra 2GB RAM is a nice upgrade too!

If by some fluke of nature (or simply by sticking with a HD5750 or another cheap, decent card then not paying too much on CPU/RAM) you still have €20-30 change from your €300 pot then you might as well invest in a better CPU cooler for a quad, even if not OCing. The earlier 65nm quads kicked out a lot of heat :o This translates to a noisy stock cooler and hot case; dropping in an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 or (if your case is wide enough!) a CM Hyper 212 Plus would both cool and quieten things down a bit :)

As for the €500 option, not as vital anymore but it really depends on whether you can transfer the OS; if you can then you could transfer the PSU and optical drives (and HDD if not too old) and build something from the Budget Gaming PC Guide minus relevant parts (don't re-use the case unless its a decent model with good airflow though! :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to get ram quickly, ddr2 is rising in price every day and is about to hit the roof as supplies drop

Lads thanks for all the replies so far, lots of food for thought!!

Would say throwing a HD5750 and an extra 2gb ram make any noticable improvement for gaming immediately? I see that as a cheap and easy option if it does :D

If I went down the other route of upgrading most of the system i'd have to make sure my current components work with the new ones and working on a budget not wanting to replace the likes of storage/optical drives (yeah, i'm cheap!!) seems like it could be more of a headache than its worth.

Are bundles like this one any good? Havn't been keeping track of whats good lately and can't remember ever using an AMD processor in any of my machines before either. All I'd need along with that is a graphics card then I think? So many different options out there argh! All I want is to play some games!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    Would say throwing a HD5750 and an extra 2gb ram make any noticable improvement for gaming immediately? I see that as a cheap and easy option if it does :D

Slight to moderate improvement (particularly with quality/AA/AF) but nowhere near as much as you would with the new CPU, as I suspect in some newer games the HD5750 might get bottlenecked a bit by the old, slow C2D :o:o
    If I went down the other route of upgrading most of the system i'd have to make sure my current components work with the new ones and working on a budget not wanting to replace the likes of storage/optical drives (yeah, i'm cheap!!) seems like it could be more of a headache than its worth.

If you went down the other route then I could help tell you if your case/PSU/HDD/DVD would be worth moving to the new machine. After that its just a case of replacing the CPU/mobo/RAM/GPU and any of the above that need it :)
    Are bundles like this one any good? Havn't been keeping track of whats good lately and can't remember ever using an AMD processor in any of my machines before either. All I'd need along with that is a graphics card then I think?

The problem with bundles is that the companies that sell them are usually darn pricey to begin with, and you could get better components cheaper seperately in the likes of HWVS/eBuyer/Pixmania! :o But yes, once you have those components then in theory you're just a graphics card away from hooking it all up to your old hardware and you're off :D But it still might be better to replace your current HDD and case with newer ones, depending on the quality of your current ones :)

I'm back! Put some more thought into this, been using the PC a little more lately and would like to keep it that way, might go for a decent enough upgrade.

First off, graphics - hows this?

XFX HD 5770 850M 1GB DDR5 €130

Would that work if I put it into my current machine? (Might pick this up first followed by the rest at a later date)

Then I have new mobo, cpu and ram to go with:

Intel Core i5-650 €160
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L €80
    2GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracer €60

€430 give or take a few quid. A few cooling options on top of that and think I would be ok for playing some of the newest games on decent settings? Any suggestions or pick apart my choices? :Di'd rather not buy lemons

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Vikings wrote: »
    I'm back! Put some more thought into this, been using the PC a little more lately and would like to keep it that way, might go for a decent enough upgrade.

First off, graphics - hows this?

XFX HD 5770 850M 1GB DDR5 €130

Would that work if I put it into my current machine? (Might pick this up first followed by the rest at a later date)

Then I have new mobo, cpu and ram to go with:

Intel Core i5-650 €160
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L €80
    2GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracer €60

€430 give or take a few quid. A few cooling options on top of that and think I would be ok for playing some of the newest games on decent settings? Any suggestions or pick apart my choices? :Di'd rather not buy lemons

*Cough* 4GB-Kit OCZ Gold DDR3 - 66.09 ;)

Whoa! Wasn't expecting the platform update! :o:p

If you can stretch the extra tenner get this. Utterly gobsmackingly stupidly insane value :D Then if you upgrade to a 1080p monitor or TV in the future you won't even notice a drop in FPS :D Suffice to say it utterly destroys the HD5770 :p

Okay, as for the platform update... You're Doing It Wrong :o

CPU is pathetic compared to an i5 quad. Slightly more expensive it may be but even at stock speed the i5-760 utterly destroys any of Intel's dualies and almost everything from AMD.

Mobo is pretty much the only meh Gigabyte on the market at the moment. Even this for €60 is less of a stinker :o If you want to keep it cheap this is decent enough. Full ATX LGA1156 mobos are darn pricey, with this being probably the cheapest decent model. Ouch :o

RAM is barking mad... :eek: Why on earth would you have 2GB when you have twice as much? Its only a fiver more... ;):p

If you can spend another ~€25-40 more on this you can have a cutting-edge rig... if not, you might have to think about dropping back down to a much cheaper AMD platform :o

Excellent advice there Solitaire, saving me a fortune :D Ah no, seriously though if i'm going to be spending close to €500 on upgrades may as well get the best I can to save in the long run.

So you reckon the gtx 460 is a much better card for little less? Done!

As for the RAM, as I wasn't sure what's what lately I went with the brand name I trusted from before so picked the first crucial sticks I found. 4gb for same price? Done!

My case is an Antec Sonata 3, just had a look and didn't realise it could take mATX boards as well (:o) and i've no real need to go full blown ATX so that MSI board you linked to is a contender.

So i'm now looking at €460 from hardwareversand for:

GTX 460
    i5-760
    4gb ram + mobo.

Have a good PSU, case will last - DVD and hard drive work - though will add another hard drive cause running out of space on it fast. 1680 x 1050 is the max resolution of my monitor, think its actually a 22" widescreen, will be on the look out for an upgrade here over the next few months. Am I missing anything now? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well i have a gtx 1 gig in my gaming rig and its a beast of a card runs everything i throw at it (and ive thrown quite a bit in the last week :D) i would recommend any 460 after using this and for the price that one is you really cant beat it

Been looking at alternatives to HWVS as I would prefer to pay by credit card if I could.

Found scan.co.uk to be reasonable for some of the bits, managed to put these 4 together for €500 delivered which isn't far off HWVS. Is it much of a step backwards from HWVS in terms of quality?

4gb Corsair RAM
    Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
    i5-760
    Asus NVIDIA GTX 460

£420 delivered, but lets me use PayPal/Credit Card if I want. Mobo is probably cack though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

try pixmania they are very good spent 1600 with them 2 weeks ago and got everything on time and in perfect order just remember to uncheck their zen engagement add on that they put with every item in the basket before you check out

That mobo is naff :o

Advertisement