Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to make or receive calls abroad

Options
  • 29-08-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just back from England where I had big problems with my phone (E71). I bought the phone 2nd hand back in Feb and had no problems with it. However I couldnt get it to connect to a network in England over the weekend, found out that my roaming profile was not enabled, so got that enabled.

However after I connected to T Mobile I still couldnt make/receive calls or texts. When I tried to place a call I got an "Unable to place call" message, and after a while I got "Failed to register sim card" (or a very similar messages).

I rang meteor again, and they said that everything was sorted ok on their side. I didnt get a chance to go into a T Mobile shop to enquire. Heading abroad again soon and would like to make sure I have it sorted by then.

Any ideas what would have caused this?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Where did you get the phone from?

It sounds like it might be stolen, if it was originally a UK handset and was reported stolen the IMEI would be blocked on UK networks.

Not saying it is, just a possible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I got it from Adverts.ie Have no reason to believe it was stolen, but I did read that it might be blocked because of that... which would be a bit of a pain as I bought it in good faith.

Is there anywhere to check the list of blocked IMEIs?

Rang meteor and they said the phone is not blocked. If it was blocked it would be blocked in Ireland as well so dont think thats the problem! Any ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

peustace wrote: »
    Rang meteor and they said the phone is not blocked. If it was blocked it would be blocked in Ireland as well so dont think thats the problem! Any ideas?!

Wrong. Was caught myself by an ebay seller. I used the phone here for a couple of months. Discovered it was barred when it was sent for recycling. I think 3 are the only network to bar a UK barred phone

Check here for definite answer

Thanks Plu, didnt realise. I was always trying to connet to T mobile. Any idea if its blocked one network its blocked on multiple networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Ok, so would it mean then thats it not blocked -- as its working perfectly in Ireland?

Should also say... I had the phone with me in Tenerife and it worked perfectly. This was back in February. Any way to test out wether it would work before I go abroad again?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

peustace wrote: »
    Ok, so would it mean then thats it not blocked -- as its working perfectly in Ireland?

Should also say... I had the phone with me in Tenerife and it worked perfectly. This was back in February. Any way to test out wether it would work before I go abroad again?

Because it works in Ireland does not mean it's not blocked / barred

Check the status on the link I posted. If it comes up as barred, then I guess it's hit and miss on any network. Officially they will say it's barred on all networks. In practice it's not. My one wouldn't work on any network in UK or on 3 IE. It worked here on Voda, O2 & Meteor. Didn't try it in any other country.

Advertisement