Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continual Speed Monitoring

• 29-08-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭

My Eircom broadband is starting to fluctuate from the usual 6mb (7mb connection) down to 1 mb. I only notice the slower speeds when I am viewing video etc or when I do a speedtest.

Are there any programs/widgets out there that monitor your connection speed on an ongoing basis maybe with an alert if it drops below a preset value ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

i dont think so because in order to test what speed your getting it would have to be downloading constantly.meaning you couldn't do much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That was kind of what I thought. Maybe it could be programmed to ping every 10 mins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Discodog wrote: »
    That was kind of what I thought. Maybe it could be programmed to ping every 10 mins ?

ping is a whole different thing to download speed..you need to find out why your speed is dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Pretty sure that it's contention. Happening at peak times. Eircom will end up like 3 where you could only get broadband at 3 am !.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Discodog wrote: »
    My Eircom broadband is starting to fluctuate from the usual 6mb (7mb connection) down to 1 mb. I only notice the slower speeds when I am viewing video etc or when I do a speedtest.

Are there any programs/widgets out there that monitor your connection speed on an ongoing basis maybe with an alert if it drops below a preset value ?.

you dont mention what router you have but this program might help

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

you can graph the sync speed to see if that's changing - throughput speed may be what's changing which you will only see on speedtests

• Advertisement
Advertisement