Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent cans of ale for electric picnic?

• 29-08-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

Am heading to the Electric Picnic and as you all probably know there is only Heineken supplied crap in the gig grounds itself (apart from Paulener which I'm told is great but I hate weiss beers), I was wondering does anyone know some decent ales in cans as opposed to bottles that I can bring down, I usually drink hoppy ales (Galway Hooker, Sierra Nevada, O' Haras IPA etc) which are mostly (all?) in bottles, any suggestions would be great. As an aside 3 years ago there was a guy selling his own organic cider in one of the hippy type areas which was delicious but Heineken obviously cracked down on any decent offerings. ps I dont mean, Smithwicks , Macardles, Newkie Brown!!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

As far as I know and I would love to be told I'm wrong but there is basically nothing at all available in Ireland if you check the US section of

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/Beers_of_Europe__American_Beer_88.html

you could get some but it's pricey and at this stage I guess getting them delivered isn't an option, if you could get up north you could cans of english ales but again to my knowledge you won't be able get anything in the way of the bitter hoppy beers your looking for.

Edit just had a thought there is some sort of English Ale Cans available in some Marks and Spencers I think, but not 100% sure which ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If I cant find any decent ales in cans I'll get some cans of Budvar which at least is a decent beer. Anyone know why good ales don't come in cans? Surely there would be a market for them and it would help to popularise them?

If I cant find any decent ales in cans I'll get some cans of Budvar which at least is a decent beer. Anyone know why good ales don't come in cans? Surely there would be a market for them and it would help to popularise them?

There is a market to a point, just not in this country basically, like everything we are a long way behind.

I think overall most craft brewers are of the opinion that Bottles are the best medium for delivering ales, especially any "real" ale, where there is any sediment in the drink, not sure if that's correct overall I know in the US alot of brewers are split on the issue.

Hi mayordenis

Yeah, I'm well aware of the taste debate of course but had Budvar in bottles and cans for example and its great in both, anyway found this:

http://www.beercannews.com/COUNTRIES/USA/USA_Micros/usa_micros.html

looks like a good few American micros have cans of IPA etc though not available over here unfortunately. Also I see under UK that London Pride and a load of other ales are in cans.

Hi mayordenis

Yeah, I'm well aware of the taste debate of course but had Budvar in bottles and cans for example and its great in both, anyway found this:

http://www.beercannews.com/COUNTRIES/USA/USA_Micros/usa_micros.html

looks like a good few American micros have cans of IPA etc though not available over here unfortunately.

Aye not trying to preach or anything,

Personally I hate Budvar from a can, and I think it's slightly better from a bottle if it's not all skunked.

• Advertisement

"Aye not trying to preach or anything"

I know, was just making a general point , anyway I'd much rather cans of Budvar than free pints of Heineken, Coors or any of their other rubbish.

If you have any interest in Wheat beers then you could try Grafenwalder Wheat from Lidl or valentines wheat beer which I've seen all over the place lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Apparently technology now makes canning economical without necessarily doing a billion at a time, so small brewers can use cans:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54741/canned-beer-thats-actually-good/

Recently tried Old Chub Scotch Ale, by Oskar Blues mentioned in the article. Did not like the beer anyway, so it was tough to tell whether being canned made it better or worse.

London Pride in cans gets rave views on Beeradvocate so some must taste decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

If you can get to Sainsbury's in Newry before the weekend, I've seen London Pride, Old Speckled Hen and some other in cans. Only had it in bottles myself. They had Boddingtons too, but I had that and its fairly bland stuff.

The M&S "English Ale" is on sale across the road from Arnotts in Dublin. It's alright.

• Advertisement

I don't drive so heading to Newery from Dublin for a couple of cans wouldn't be an option but will try that M&S you mentioned, I've been in a few and never saw any beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've been in a few and never saw any beers.
    It's been hit-and-miss, but the Jervis Centre branch has consistently been stocking a range of them for the last few months, including the canned bitter.

Thanks all

I was asking the staff in the fairly large M&S in Blackrock why most branches didn't have the range of beers. The one who worked there said it was because they didnt' have a licence to sell beer, but that Blackrock was getting one soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

but will try that M&S you mentioned, I've been in a few and never saw any beers.

Liffey valley had over a good range over the summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's been hit-and-miss, but the Jervis Centre branch has consistently been stocking a range of them for the last few months, including the canned bitter.
    Shouldn't have said that. None on the shelves this afternoon.

Hi Beernut,

Just got back from M&S Jervis St. so didnt see your post about no Ale, got 3 4 packs of Belgian Lager instead and a couple of bottles of Thatchers Somerset cider they sell that I haven't seen before, trying a Belgian lager now is quite nice, cost 7.29 as opposed to 9.50 or so for 4 cans of budvar which it tastes similar to so I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

donaghs wrote: »
    I was asking the staff in the fairly large M&S in Blackrock why most branches didn't have the range of beers. The one who worked there said it was because they didnt' have a licence to sell beer, but that Blackrock was getting one soon.

I saw a planning permission notice outside the Grafton Street store recently where they have applied for permission to change the usage of the store to include an off-license which I assume means they will then be able to sell beer and spirits, so it might be an company wide change they are trying to make.

If anyone's still interested, I saw Whelan's off-licence recently had Speckled Hen in 500ml cans in a fridge.

Advertisement