Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-pat too poor to buy

Options
  • 29-08-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

We've spent a long time abroad and had a wonderful time throwing our money around. Now we're too old and too poor to buy, but no regrets. We could just stay where we are in our rented house but we want to move to Ireland or the UK to be near family.
    There doesn't seem to be a culture of long-term renting as there is in Europe. All I see are furnished properties, with lots of short-term and holiday rentals.
    Is it impossible to rent long-term? Why is everything furnished? What would your advice be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is likely to be a lot of unfurnished properties out there, but they are all caught up in NAMA (and the risk stamp duty will be applied).

Most larger landlords are happy to remove furnishings if you don't need them. However, the dominant market is for furnished properties.

Are you sure you want to move here - is there work?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do a serach on daft.ie - there's an option in the "advanced options" section to look for places that are unfurnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

Thanks for your contributions.
    My husband is 73 and is on a journalist pension so it's pretty good (about 3000 euro, at the moment about 2000 euro net) and can continue his translation job online for the foreseeable future. I'm 62. We're both in good health - just no money for a deposit and too old anyway!
    I have a UK passport but I can get an Irish one through all four grandparents if I want to do all the bureaucracy.
    I'm a bit worried about finding an assured tenancy which will not be too precarious. But I know that's the risk you take.
    Would we be the only pensioners still renting in Ireland?
    Are there any schemes like there are in England for pensioners who want to sell off their homes and rent a smaller place with assured tenancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes there is. The councils bought homes of the over 55's who then rented apts off the councils. DCC have stopped buying houses because they are broke, not sure about other councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It may be worthwhile placing a classified ad seeking an unfurnished property. Daft has a section for tenants where you can outline your requirements and landlords get in touch with you. You could also make it quite clear that you're looking for a long-term arrangement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement