Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Returning Safety Boots

Options
  • 29-08-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice with the following.

My father both a pair of safety boots in Phillips WorkWear on Capel Street last Saturday 21 Aug. Within 2 days of wear them onsite the material on the boots started to peel away and a crack appeared. I have attached a photo of the crack.

He tried bring them back to Phillips WorkWear but they wouldn't refund the money or even exchange them for a new set of safety boots. There excuse was that they must have been mistreated. My dad was only sweeping floors on the site and even so surely safety boots should last longer than 2 days wear and tear!

Any advice on what I could do next in order to get a refund or rplacement boots?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

to be fair from that photo to me it looks like something actually ripped a chunk out of the boot. It doesn't look like it just wore away ..

If it was me working in the shop I would have formed the opinion that the boot was damaged through use and wouldn't be entitled to a refund or replacment.

Sorry, but that is just my opinion based on the evidence shown in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That looks like it could have been damaged and glued back to make it fit for sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That looks like it could have been damaged and glued back to make it fit for sale.

I think that you would notice that before you bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

whippet wrote: »
    to be fair from that photo to me it looks like something actually ripped a chunk out of the boot. It doesn't look like it just wore away ..

If it was me working in the shop I would have formed the opinion that the boot was damaged through use and wouldn't be entitled to a refund or replacment.

Surely the material of safety boots should be designed to withstand working on a building site. Its not as if they are sold to be worn in an office! Gonna give the manufactures a ring and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

franman wrote: »
    Surely the material of safety boots should be designed to withstand working on a building site. Its not as if they are sold to be worn in an office! Gonna give the manufactures a ring and see what they say.

From the picture you've posted it looks like they did what they are supposed to do, if your father hadn't been wearing them his foot would be badly injured. Instead all he's got is a slightly damaged boot.

You can call the manufacture all you want, but I'd say they will say the same as the shop. They look like something sharp/heavy hit them and that's how they got damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Em OP your father shouldn't have had to buy the boots in the first place.

Under health and safety legislation an employer has to provide personal protective equipment to employees who need it. On a site you definately need steel toes and a hard hat, even if you're just sweeping the floors. The employer should have got them for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bongi69 wrote: »
    Em OP your father shouldn't have had to buy the boots in the first place.

Under health and safety legislation an employer has to provide personal protective equipment to employees who need it. On a site you definately need steel toes and a hard hat, even if you're just sweeping the floors. The employer should have got them for him.

Are you sure of that, can you provide a link?

While some employers do provide PPE for staff, I'm not sure it's required by law. Some employers do provide PPE to cover their backs if you have an accident.

If you do need to buy PPE for work you can write it off against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Advertisement