Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Kilkenny getting more dangerous??

Options
  • 29-08-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Is Kilkenny getting more dangerous at night time? I have 2 female friends that were mugged in Kieran street last night just after twelve. I was driving around town then at around three o'clock this morning and it just seemed like a warzone with the amount of fights going on.
    Maybe it's just me but I can't remember ever seeing as much trouble in one night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

its always been rough, parliment streetis great though, have yet to see any hassle once yer passed magnums

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wouldn't say it's dangerous.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I never thought it was that bad myself. I never really heard of people being mugged before either tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I wouldn't particularly say it is getting more dangerous in general.

Kieran Street in the early hours on a weekend wouldn't exactly be on my agenda if I could avoid it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Its an Irish town with a lot of pubs - most of them are the same at 3a.m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's no worse than any other Irish town at that hour of the morning IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There's been a noticeable upsurge in junkies though. And subsequently an upsurge in muggings and burglaries. So for that reason alone, I'd say it's definitely getting more dangerous.

But the bull****e you see on the streets at 3am is exactly the same as it ever was.

Probably the same it's always been with drunken fools fighting after the pubs shut alright. I'd definetly agree with more junkies being around. What can be done about them? The courts aren't doing anything anyway! Just a slap on the wrist and give them ANOTHER chance. Even tho their just going to do it again!! I suppose it's just the same in every town and city in Ireland. I can't imagine Kilkenny being worse than anywhere else in fairness. I just hope I come across some little ****er trying to mug someone some night and we'll see how they react when it's not a young woman their dealing with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

And keep a Knacker Whacker* in the bedroom at all times.

The law is on OUR side now!

*Disclaimer:

The term Knacker is used in this application for rhyming purposes only and is used to denote ANY social undesirable and should not be construed as an attempt to single our or alienate any particular social or ethnic group.

This term, is accepted by RTE in the context of it being interchangable with scumbag, scobe, skanger, chav, knick-knack, paddy whack, gearbag, minion, degenerate, vagrant, vagabond or feckless rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

This weekend I noticed a disturbing similarity between corporate hygiene proponent / logo Mr. Clean and one of our local heros:

mrclean_logo.gif

I don't know what this means, but it must mean something....

• Advertisement

Any chance of an explenation??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think it's self explanitory, just imagine him with a white dog. When did Mr. Proper change his name? I didn't know this until now. Will thank when I get home.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I don't care what any man says, that bench outside the Bank Of Ireland is spotless.

And the fur on them dogs is white as snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

fabbydabby wrote: »
    This weekend I noticed a disturbing similarity between corporate hygiene proponent / logo Mr. Clean and one of our local heros:

mrclean_logo.gif

I don't know what this means, but it must mean something....

Uncanny similarity!!! Nearly time for frost to show off his silver bullets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Drive-bys are on the increase around the butts. Anyone would think Kilkenny is turning into "South Central"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Drive-bys are on the increase around the butts. Anyone would think Kilkenny is turning into "South Central"
    Drive bys? egging people or pellet guns or the real thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Water-ballooning on bikes. A completely new trend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Kilkennys not that bad TBH I'd walk home after a night out all the time and never had any issues but a friend of one of my mates was up in Kilkenny a few weeks ago for the first time and he ended up getting mugged after so I guess it can just be wrong time wrong place sometimes, was about 3am and somewhere around langtons apparently when it happened, he was after coming out of the nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think it goes through phases. I remember top of John street was really bad ten years ago but it seems tame now compared to then. I think a lot more stuff went unreported then.

There was research done in London back in the sixties, around the time when restrictions on what news could be reported were relaxed. Previously crimes weren't reported in the news until the police had someone was prosecuted. So you might not know that someone was murdered near you until after the trial.

When the laws were relaxed so that crimes could be reported as they happened, naturally people were extremely alarmed to learn that a murderer was on the loose. This had a serious effect on peoples behavior and natural there was a tendency to believe that it wasn't as safe as it used to be when in fact the opposite was true. The murder rate had been dropping the whole time over the study so that while people felt it was more dangerous because of increased awareness, it was actually statistically safer than before. Must look up that study again.

Advertisement