Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New delivery only Chinese - Any good?

• 29-08-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just got a leaflet for a Chinese food delivery service in Kilcohan called Oriental Tiger. There's just mobile numbers on the leaflet and it only says Kilcohan Park as it's address. Just wondering if anyone has tried it before? Menu seems ok and reasonable enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

got that menu too a few weeks back... havent a clue where the premisis is though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Tried them twice now, lovely both times. Very reasonable considering its home delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

They have there menu on there facebook page for anybody thats interested.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001377480618&v=wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I've ordered from them about a half dozen times and there food is delicious, i order a lot of chinese food and theres is cheaper than anywhere else ive been too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

is it not the chinese that was always there by the golden vale. Maybe they just changed the name. Personally im not mad on it..

• Advertisement

alco.29 wrote: »
    is it not the chinese that was always there by the golden vale. Maybe they just changed the name. Personally im not mad on it..

its a new business, all irish staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i think its been done from a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It's done from a house, had some of their stuff with the father last weekend and it was lovely.
    That being said, I still refuse to accept their friend request on Facebook. They've asked 8 times now.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

It's done from a house, had some of their stuff with the father last weekend and it was lovely.
    That being said, I still refuse to accept their friend request on Facebook. They've asked 8 times now.:mad:

If you become their friend wouldn't that mean they get access to all your incriminating photos?

dayshah wrote: »
    If you become their friend wouldn't that mean they get access to all your incriminating photos?
    The ones of me dumping the plastic containers from the chinese in an orphanage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

south wrote: »
    i think its been done from a house

Before I make my comments I just want to state that I'm all for people starting up new businesses and really hope they do well.

But I'm just interested to find out how they can operate from a house - which I presume is in an estate somewhere in the Kilcohan area i.e. the kitchen set up - has it been adapted, waste disposal etc, hygeine, fire regs etc.

Just interested - I'm sure that it's all above board and I will try it it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thomaspaul

have also had the food and know its top notch... also know the kitchen is adapted and passed by health board.. also the chef there is one of the only irish chefs doing what he does and has brilliant credentials behind him and has also won awards for his food!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Before I make my comments I just want to state that I'm all for people starting up new businesses and really hope they do well.

But I'm just interested to find out how they can operate from a house - which I presume is in an estate somewhere in the Kilcohan area i.e. the kitchen set up - has it been adapted, waste disposal etc, hygeine, fire regs etc.

Just interested - I'm sure that it's all above board and I will try it it out.

Just to answer this ,Yes its based in a house but its has an top notch industrial style kitchen (extension) and has the health and safety certs ,and all the necessary paperwork to run this type of business .Paperwork and certs that they are willing to show when delivering .

The ones of me dumping the plastic containers from the chinese in an orphanage?

I don't use facebook so don't know the full story. But if you add them as a friend, will they have access to photos of different parties and read things on your wall. Stuff you'd only want real friends to have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Just to answer this ,Yes its based in a house but its has an top notch industrial style kitchen (extension) and has the health and safety certs ,and all the necessary paperwork to run this type of business .Paperwork and certs that they are willing to show when delivering .

Excellent - best of luck to them. As I said will definitely give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I don't use facebook so don't know the full story. But if you add them as a friend, will they have access to photos of different parties and read things on your wall. Stuff you'd only want real friends to have access to.

You can set up lists for your friends on facebook and have different security for each list. I do it myself for close friends and people I know in passing.

Food is top notch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

thomaspaul wrote: »
    have also had the food and know its top notch... also know the kitchen is adapted and passed by health board.. also the chef there is one of the only irish chefs doing what he does and has brilliant credentials behind him and has also won awards for his food!!

You hardly work for them do you??? That being your first post and all lol

Myself and the girls ordered from there on sat night while watching X factor:D Food was gorgeous and the delivery was fast! The price is good too.

I tried that new place down on the cork road (across from Dunphy's)a few wks ago, I cant remember the name of it, but it was gorgeous, definatly my new favorite!!

They have there menu on there facebook page for anybody thats interested.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001377480618&v=wall

They say the menu is in their photo album, but must you be their friend to see the album? I tried but I couldn't find it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

No matter how good their food is or how cheap they are, they are hiding the fact that they are running the operation from a house and only using a mobile number for ordering. I did phone them before and asked to collect the food but was refused that option. I like to see a place before I order food.
    I've got my sceptics hat on now and only using a mobile number on a menu that does'nt have an address on it means bad things for me. I work$ed in catering for years and anywhere that keeps things like that in the dark is a big no no for me. Who knows what conditions the food is being prepared or stored at. Hygiene regulations are difficult to get in line with and I most peoples home kitchens would fail miserably.
    The person in a reply up above who said they have their kitchen brought up to standard obviously knows the people involved and would hardly say the kitchen is crap and not properly appointed!
    I'll never order from a place like that and I'll stick to restaurants that are wide open about what they are doing and where the food comes from.
    On the matter of the hygiene certs that they show on delivery? Give me 10 mins and I'll knock some up in photoshop for anyone that wants them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know the people involved and know that the chef is fully qualified. I've never tried the food, nor seen the kitchen but I would have no reason to believe that it's not fully above board.

I'd imagine they are somewhat hesitant to allow personal collections because it is after all a private address and you could have people call there at all hours (or any other number of reasons spring to mind). If the feedback they receive indicates that people would like the option of collecting, then you'd have to think they'd see to making it happen.

dermo909 wrote: »
    No matter how good their food is or how cheap they are, they are hiding the fact that they are running the operation from a house and only using a mobile number for ordering. I did phone them before and asked to collect the food but was refused that option. I like to see a place before I order food.
    I've got my sceptics hat on now and only using a mobile number on a menu that does'nt have an address on it means bad things for me. I work$ed in catering for years and anywhere that keeps things like that in the dark is a big no no for me. Who knows what conditions the food is being prepared or stored at. Hygiene regulations are difficult to get in line with and I most peoples home kitchens would fail miserably.
    The person in a reply up above who said they have their kitchen brought up to standard obviously knows the people involved and would hardly say the kitchen is crap and not properly appointed!
    I'll never order from a place like that and I'll stick to restaurants that are wide open about what they are doing and where the food comes from.
    On the matter of the hygiene certs that they show on delivery? Give me 10 mins and I'll knock some up in photoshop for anyone that wants them!

About a few of your sentences:

How are "they are "hiding" the fact that they are running the operation from a house" ?

You state that you "asked to collect the food but was refused that option", maybe because there's no facility for collecting and its a private address.

"a menu that does'nt have an address on it means bad things for me" em so Kilcohan Park is not an address.

You say you worked in catering for years, where ? and why did you leave ?

"Give me 10 mins and I'll knock some up in photoshop for anyone that wants them", legitimate catering certificates have raised golden emblems, i seriously doubt that photoshop can do them.

From reading your reply, it sounds as though you had a business and got closed and now your bitter.

johndoe99 wrote: »

"a menu that does'nt have an address on it means bad things for me" em so Kilcohan Park is not an address.

I'd be willing to give it ago, but I think dermo has a valid opinion. I doubt he is bitter.

To be honest I would expect a proper address (with house number) at least on the receipt, if they don't want to put on the website.

I'm sure the people are genuine (if they were not they would be in trouble fairly quickly), but if a business just has a mobile number and no address or landline it does look odd.

EDIT: They seem to have a landline on the menu.
    EDIT Again: But it may be the menu printers number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im gonna give it a whirl this weekend anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

They say the menu is in their photo album, but must you be their friend to see the album? I tried but I couldn't find it :(

Yeah you have to add them to see it i think :confused:

Here it is for anybody that doesnt want to add them.

Menu front.jpg

Menu back.jpg

Yeah you have to add them to see it i think :confused:

Here it is for anybody that doesnt want to add them.

Menu front.jpg

Menu back.jpg
    Thanks, I'm not a big fan of the Facebook. I'll give it a go this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Lineline would be the printers I'd imagine.

Reading through this thread again makes me really want a chinese now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Yeah I'm only finished my dinner and now i want kung po !

I said Kung Po ....not king poo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just tucking into the Thai Chicken Fillet and it's bloody lovely!

Advertisement